Any views on FEG Hi Powers?

There is an odd little bike shop in Carlisle PA that also has a used gun store in the basement (it’s legit, really). He has a lot of milsurp rifles, some cool old 22s and the occasional lever rifle. He also usually has a number of interesting handguns and will talk about them for hours. I stopped in yesterday just to see what he had and there were some oddities, most of which I don’t recall since I am not really interested in obscure pistols right now.

However, he had a couple FEG Hi-Power clones, one in 9 mm and one in 45. Actions were smooth and the triggers were remarkably nice. Overall condition was very good to good. He is asking about $300 for each of them. I was not really tempted but, thinking about it, I’ll probably never buy a Browning so maybe one of these would be fun.

Anybody have any experience with these? Thanks in advance.

By the way, I kept wishing some of you milsurp folks had been with me. I know nothing about them and he had some odd ones...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Last edited by Bucolic on Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Any views on FEG Hi Powers?

i've heard they're good. get both. i'm a sucker for odd, old guns.
the thing about milsurps is this: some government, possibly some now-extinct european or south american or asian government, spent time writing specs, comparing options, and testing them for utility and reliability. sometimes for qualities that are valued far above their actual usefulness, such as magazine cutoffs and other nonsensical things. but compared to commercial designs, milsurps were intentionally designed and built to stand up to far more abuse, so more often than not, they simply work, and usually built in the hundreds of thousands or millions, so there are parts if needed.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

Bucolic wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:22 pm Being pretty obsessive, I know my limitations. Were I to buy one milsurp rifle, I might as well cash out the IRA and spend the kids’ inheritance. But thanks!
rifle? nobody said anything about rifle... except you. :think: been holding out on us? you got something you need to confess?
spend the kids' money. they wouldn't appreciate it anyway. :bananadance: life is short, and when you kick the bucket they get the guns anyway, right? enjoy.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

I have one in 9mm. I think I paid just under 300 for it maybe 8 years ago at a gun show. Trigger on it is pretty gritty, but I've shot worse. Accuracy seems okay. External finish is good; internal finishing looks kind of crude. I picked it up to add to my small collection of HiPowers. And it feeds from my Mecgar and Browning factory magazines just fine.

The Argentine FM HiPower clones are so much better. I found a beat up Argentine that I stripped and had refinished years ago. It's actually one of my most accurate 9mm pistols which surprised me.

I also have an Argentine that I found NIB with factory rubber grips. Similar to this one, but more pristine.

The FEG Hi-Powers tend to be one of the better quality Hi-Power clones. So good that when Mauser needed to submit a pistol for a police trial, they actually used re-branded FEG hi-powers (see Mauser SA-80). Unlike some other Hi-Power clones, the FEG's are compatible with all the normal FN parts with only truly minor issues (unlike the Israeli Hi-Powers). Check to see if the magazine safety is installed, if it is then you have the option for an instant trigger job should you so chose. Short of rusting up, or someone doing something stupid, there really isn't much that goes wrong in a Hi-Power other than the springs. 300 is about the going rate for a good FEG 350 for a VG+ so assuming it still looks nice the price is right. FEGG's (and Mausers) use the standard FN magazine (just buy mec-gars, and you'll be in good shape).

In keeping with my normal pomposity, they are not as nice as true FN made hi-powers, but they are close. So close in fact that when I was shooting IDPA with a Hi-Power (before I switched the P7), an FEG was my substitute Hi-Power for any course that might scratch or soil my FN. (This as about as high a praise as I can give a non-FN hi-power, so just go buy it).
Pompous, with a touch of elitism.