Re: What’s the cool 92 FS stuff

Wilson Combat makes some excellent trigger upgrade parts. They can look very nice with some decent wood grips.

Your sight upgrade options are limited on models with a front sight that is integral to the slide, without some pretty expensive custom gunsmithing. I'm not certain there's enough meat in the slide above the de-cocking assembly for an RMR cut, but I could be wrong.

I've shot one with a Jarvis compensator, that looked pretty bad-ass, but it had functioning issues.

Hello:

I feel the M9/92s one weakness is that the large slide mounted safety prevents using the modern technique of slide lock reloads and malfunction clearance.

Thanks to Wilson and a few niche shops this is now easily solved by adding a slim, single side safety. I like the Beretta M9/92 a great deal, but could only really take them seriously once these aftermarket safeties became an option.

If you add one there are great youtube videos to help- be sure to do the job while working in a large Ziplock bag. Mistakes do lead to parts launching all over the place.

I also like the Wilson oversize magazine release buttons. These too are a little tricky to install (especially compared to a 1911), but really slick.

I also added a Wilson metal guide rod to my M9A1. If your Beretta is old enough yours may have a metal guide rod. I hate the polymer one Beretta now uses, but I still have one in my M9.

The DA pull on my two is tolerable, but I need to add the D hammer spring. You can get these right from Beretta or Wilson.

Have you ever watched any Ernest Langdon stuff? He's the goto on training with the Beretta.
M9s.jpg
And all you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be- Roger Waters

I have an M9 you should buy so you can see for yourself! :D

You can buy replacement or "upgrade" parts from Wilson and others but I never did. I my experience, this gun is a good, solid firearm as is. But it is NOT a 1911, and will any amount of tinkering or upgrading of parts improve much in those respects...AMU weapons excepted.

I heard a lot of bitching about the polymer trigger and plastic guidrod but I don't see how either of those would make any noticeable difference in the shooting experience. The poly trigger is super stiff and has a metal insert. The guide rod is just a rod. And both of these parts are part of the USGI spec. I put those in the bullshit category. You'll likely never have a very good trigger, no matter what you or anybody else does. I was going to have a conical bushing installed to help stabilized barrel but I decided it was not worth $200, and there is a risk that too much metal will be removed in an area of the gun where not a lot of metal exists.

One thing I chose to do was to install shok-buff since I was developing loads and I didn't want to take a chance battering the aluminum frame if some of my loads turned out to be hotter than anticipated. But considering that +p NATO 9mm is the ammo used in service, I don't think even that is necessary.

I personally do not like the sights. I don't like the gritty, mushy trigger, and I don't like the Rube Goldberg system of 1500 springs and pins. I do like the grip and the heft, that it's USA-made (M9 only), and that it is a highly reliable autopistol, but I do not now, nor have I ever been able to really shoot this gun well, and for the new, evolved me 8-) , that is the ultimate test.
Hell is where:
The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police

I find the SA trigger better than any striker gun I've ever fired, but of course not on par with a good 1911. But good. I shoot the platform well, and appreciate how the gun absorbs 9x19 recoil.

The polymer guide rod works fine. It doesn't feel right, likely because of the subtle weight difference. My dad has a 92 FS made in 1991 with factory night sights- the era when the little white print was added to the slide noting the Trijicon. It's entirely metal other than the grips. The difference is immediate in terms of tactile feedback from the gun. It feels great. I think that benchmark is why so many that are buying new M9s and 92s are adding metal parts back. You're right, the new polymer parts work fine, but for many part of owning the gun is a rejection of polymer in the first place. It's no more bullshit that anything else people do to guns to make them just right.
And all you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be- Roger Waters