CCW for large hands/long fingers

I have a friend who is looking for a CCW pistol, I believe his first. He said he had held 3 and complained that he always had at least one finger completely off the grip and hated that. I said we should go to the range together and maybe rent out a few.

The sticking point is that I’ve only been an owner for about a month, and my shopping was explicitly not for a CCW model (ended up on the XD9 5”), so I’m not well-versed on what’s out there for CCW. Are there any suggestions for someone who I know has large hands/long fingers? He’s tall and quite skinny, so it’s more of a fingers thing I believe.

My first thought was maybe the XD-E because of the ongoing mag promotion as the XD-S looks far too tiny. The XD-9 subcompact or compact were also thoughts. I also thought of basically anything Beretta as I recall them feeling simply massive in my hands, however that may break the bank for him. I think he wants to stay on 9mm but if a different caliber can affect grip size, I’m sure he’d be open to options.

Re: CCW for large hands/long fingers

Depends on how much concealment you need. The 'finger off the grip' tells me you're handling "subcompact" pistols. Those have a role and can conceal very well, but are not comfort shooting guns. "Compact" pistols typically have a double-stack magazine and shorter barrel length, but don't sacrifice much more. A 3" barrel length is a good place to be

* Glock 19
* Beretta PX4 Compact
* S&W M&P 9C
* Sig P365

Others probably have way more recommendations for you or your friend.

Generally with very large hands the current crop of teeny tiny pistols will leave the pinky curling under the gun. I hated it as well when I started looking for my CCL pistols but got over it as all the pistols I wanted that were small enough to be comfortable all day were gonna have a pinky hanging off the end. Glock 43's, etc.

Most manufacturers make mags that have pinky extensions and all my Wife's guns as well as mine sport them. Beretta's Px4 Subcompact is a 13+1 double stack 9mm and is generally my EDC and with the standard mag my pinky falls off the end. They make a SnapGrip extension that allows the pistol to have the shortie grip for concealment but it snaps out to give a full grip when you squeeze the gun.

http://www.berettausa.com/en-us/beretta ... /ud7a0279/

My Wife's Sig P238 and Sigs P239 9mm all have pinky extensions as do the Glock 43 and others. If one can;t tolerate the dangling pinky you'll have to find the pistol that suits and research mag pinky entensions. Concealed carry and what works "best" is a crapshoot and entirely dependent on a huge number of variable such as physical build, size of the gun, where you carry, what calibers/recoil one can tolerate etc, etc. First you find the guns that suit, then the holsters/carry style, then trick the gun to maximize comfort and function as well as deployment and accuracy. It's a long haul and takes a lot of reading, shooting and handling. One size/caliber/type will not fit all.

After carrying 2 years and getting all my stuff figured out I found that carrying a full size Beretta Px4 Storm is no more uncomfortable and prints no more than a subcompact. I also carry a S&W 6906 and it is not a small gun at all and has the mag extension/pinky extension. We learn a lot after carrying concealed. The OP's friend will likely evolve in choice of equipment, holsters, etc as he gains experience. My advice is to do the best you can and see where it ends up 2 years from now when he has a drawer full of holsters and has learned to dress around his preferred carry gun. In general I recommend newbies start with a larger gun and learn to shoot/carry that and then graduate to smaller stuff if it works out that way.

Small guns are harder to shoot well. New CCL aficionados are often very concerned about concealment and after 2 years they understand that nobody will spot even a very large gun if one is carrying it correctly/efficiently. Buy what shoots and suits and learn to carry it....if that means a full size 1911 or Glock 17 go for it and find holsters and dress to suit.

VooDoo
Last edited by VodoundaVinci on Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tyrants disarm the people they intend to oppress.

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

VodoundaVinci wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:26 am Generally with very large hands the current crop of teeny tiny pistols will leave the pinky curling under the gun. I hated it as well when I started looking for my CCL pistols but got over it as all the pistols I wanted that were small enough to be comfortable all day were gonna have a pinky hanging off the end. Glock 43's, etc.

Most manufacturers make mags that have pinky extensions and all my Wife's guns as well as mine sport them. Beretta's Px4 Subcompact is a 13+1 double stack 9mm and is generally my EDC and with the standard mag my pinky falls off the end. They make a SnapGrip extension that allows the pistol to have the shortie grip for concealment but it snaps out to give a full grip when you squeeze the gun.

http://www.berettausa.com/en-us/beretta ... /ud7a0279/

My Wife's Sig P238 and Sigs P239 9mm all have pinky extensions as do the Glock 43 and others. If one can;t tolerate the dangling pinky you'll have to find the pistol that suits and research mag pinky entensions. Concealed carry and what works "best" is a crapshoot and entirely dependent on a huge number of variable such as physical build, size of the gun, where you carry, what calibers/recoil one can tolerate etc, etc. First you find the guns that suit, then the holsters/carry style, then trick the gun to maximize comfort and function as well as deployment and accuracy. It's a long haul and takes a lot of reading, shooting and handling. One size/caliber/type will not fit all.

VooDoo
I knew some mags/grips have extensions, but wasn’t sure how common they were. This is a great reply and more or less exactly what I was looking for. Not specifically “what model is the best” but more of a “where to start and ideas to springboard from.” Thanks! Any more ideas would be great too.

Yep. Mag extensions are the way to go for sure on the smaller CCW guns. As with most options, if there is a local range where they can rent some subcompacts, that is absolutely the way to roll. Also for CCW (or any defensive pistol honestly), make sure that they train with it extensively. The reason that striker fired guns are so popular for CCW and self defense in general is that they are the simplest to operate. While I love my little p238 for it's ease of use, I recall that during one of my CCW classes I forgot to flick the safety off. That isn't an issue with the regular striker fired semi's. It can be trained, particularly if you don't have multiple formats, but in a situation where you need to use a gun to defend yourself, the less things that can distract you or be missed due to adrenaline, the better.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

big hands, small hands, somewhere is a handgun that fits (or get a shotgun and a raincoat).
we all want to carry a light, tiny gun. we all hate shooting those little rascals.
get a gun that fit's, a gun that you can shoot accurately with practice. dress around the gun.
I had a pair of pants tailored so that a Glock 41 fits in the right front pocket, love pocket carry.
if your older and usually unshaven, you can get away with any wardrobe choices. you can hide a lot 'o gun under a 3Xtall shirt worn untucked. if you have to wear suits, shop for shoulder holsters.

I have bigger hands, not Huge, but need to wear large gloves. Im not big 5'10" 200# I can CCW my P227 full size or my 686+ 3 inch or the rugged alaskan with ut any problems.The trick in one a good Holster and Belt. Two dress to conceal. I'm lucky I'm retired and old enough to get away with wearing what I want to wear. Usually its Lands End Loose fit Cotton Twill pants with a tropical shirt worn untucked. The full cut shirt worn with the square tail out hide to gun when wear in the holster OWB. Add a faded old AC/DC or Led Zeppelin black tee shirt under the tropical and then you don't even have to button up the shirt. All three guns are great for large hands.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

TrueTexan wrote:I have bigger hands, not Huge, but need to wear large gloves. Im not big 5'10" 200# I can CCW my P227 full size or my 686+ 3 inch or the rugged alaskan with ut any problems.The trick in one a good Holster and Belt. Two dress to conceal. I'm lucky I'm retired and old enough to get away with wearing what I want to wear. Usually its Lands End Loose fit Cotton Twill pants with a tropical shirt worn untucked. The full cut shirt worn with the square tail out hide to gun when wear in the holster OWB. Add a faded old AC/DC or Led Zeppelin black tee shirt under the tropical and then you don't even have to button up the shirt. All three guns are great for large hands.

What holster are you using with the 227?

TrueTexan wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:49 pm I have bigger hands, not Huge, but need to wear large gloves. Im not big 5'10" 200# I can CCW my P227 full size or my 686+ 3 inch or the rugged alaskan with ut any problems.The trick in one a good Holster and Belt. Two dress to conceal. I'm lucky I'm retired and old enough to get away with wearing what I want to wear. Usually its Lands End Loose fit Cotton Twill pants with a tropical shirt worn untucked. The full cut shirt worn with the square tail out hide to gun when wear in the holster OWB. Add a faded old AC/DC or Led Zeppelin black tee shirt under the tropical and then you don't even have to button up the shirt. All three guns are great for large hands.
I really like the way you think! Before I considered carrying, I got a G17 to shoot. When I got the permit, I tried to keep the handgrip from printing and didn't think I was pulling it off, even IWB. I've been carrying a G19 and it's been working fine - I'm usually in jeans and a loose button-down shirt over the pants. Six months later I can carry either gun on one side, and a spare mag on the other.

Maccabee wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:44 pm
TrueTexan wrote:I have bigger hands, not Huge, but need to wear large gloves. Im not big 5'10" 200# I can CCW my P227 full size or my 686+ 3 inch or the rugged alaskan with ut any problems.The trick in one a good Holster and Belt. Two dress to conceal. I'm lucky I'm retired and old enough to get away with wearing what I want to wear. Usually its Lands End Loose fit Cotton Twill pants with a tropical shirt worn untucked. The full cut shirt worn with the square tail out hide to gun when wear in the holster OWB. Add a faded old AC/DC or Led Zeppelin black tee shirt under the tropical and then you don't even have to button up the shirt. All three guns are great for large hands.

What holster are you using with the 227?
It is the Simply Rugged Cuda holster.

https://www.simplyrugged.com/ecommerce/ ... parent=669
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

I would second the recommendation of not getting too small of a gun to start with. A compact (Glock 19 sized) is a good way to start: most people can get all their fingers on the grip, and it'll be easier to shoot than a subcompact. I've carried full size guns (M&P, Glock) and subcompacts (Honor Guard) and I have recently moved to a compact (CZ P-01) -- which, by the way, would be a great choice for someone with long fingers.

You may want to try a compact cz75 or a rami. The rubber or wood grips are pretty round and in stock form the trigger is kind of forward. I got a reduced travel trigger for my rami from cajun gun works because I have largish palms and stubby fingers. The 14 round magazine in the rami comes with a pinky extension and a guy on one of the cz forums makes an adapted extension (I don’t remember from what gun) that fits the 10 round one nicely. With the ten rounder, it’s really easy to conceal and the 14 rounder isn’t bad either. And it shoots pretty accurately for having a short sight picture. To compare- My wife has a shield and I suck at that one.