New old (problematic) High Standard and new amateur-made K-frame grips

tl:dr Scroll down for pictures.

On Thursday, I took my 10 mm pistols to Pinto's Guns to consign them, because shooting them didn't bring me joy, and I couldn't convince myself that I had any genuine need for the smaller one's putative "woods defense" role, which could also be filled (although considerably less well) by my GP100.

I had been expecting to be at risk of buying a S&W Model 27 with 8-3/8" barrel that they had in their inventory the previous week, but it was sold over the weekend. Of course, I looked over the remaining outgoing stock, but I thought I was going to resist since I had been thinking also of a new old MkII, and I knew they didn't have the model I wanted. However, they had a High Standard Sport King with a 1.3x scope for less than what I expected to be able to get a MkII for, and I did like the idea of entering the rimfire glass bullseye match.

I gave it a not very expert looking-over, and overcame (foolishly) the concern that all the High Standard guns were in the "as is, no guarantee of anything" case, supposedly due to their dicey spare parts situation. I came to regret this within 24 hours, when I discovered it would not fire. I'll spare you all the gory details, but they are here, where I fled for advice, if you actually *want* to read more of my gibbering:
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/sh ... ?t=1120834

The bullet points:
-I mistakenly thought the firing pin was broken.
-Cleaning a small layer of crud off the face of the slide and getting the firing pin out and (surprisingly successfully) back in after cleaning it up restored the ability to fire.
-I again mistakenly thought it was not extracting almost at all.
-Extraction is OK once the brass puffs up on firing.
-The ejector is funky but may survive.
-Feeding is terrible, maybe just over 10% with any ammo I tried, so at this point ammo must be single-loaded, or all hell breaks loose and the bullets get shaved and stuck going into the chamber. Supposedly a new magazine will fix that. I may be crazy enough to lightly chamfer the chamber mouth.

So, after a day of panic and self-recriminations, I'm back to being grudgingly, tentatively happy with the purchase.

It's a funny-looking little thing with that scope, but I kinda like it. I'll like it a lot more if a magazine actually resolves the feeding problem. The 1.3x scope is certainly the most magnification I could handle. Shooting off a VERY crappy rest (a plastic packet of baby wipes perched on a small, empty cardboard box), I was able to get 8 out of ten holes touching at 50', which is better than I'd do with iron sights. We'll see if I can really do better than with irons when shooting offhand.

While waiting for the paperwork for the consignment and purchase transactions, I noticed a set of amateur-made thumbrest grips, and gave them a squeeze. They fit my hand pretty well, and they also fit a K22 much like mine that was for sale there. Remembering how a Volthane thumbrest grip worked somewhat to tame the unwieldiness of my oversized MkII, I decided the $25 asking price was justified.

Over the weekend I shot them on the K22 and my 19-3. They're not perfect: I could use a little more palm swell and maybe a little less of a hard edge along the right rear, but they do feel good, at least in slow fire. Since the extra wood over the back of the frame increases the reach to the trigger, that may make DA fire a little trickier. My hands aren't huge. If I really do see better scores with these, maybe I'll get some real grips, such as
https://www.precisiontargetpistolgrips. ... lvers.html

Here they are on the .357

IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

Re: New old (problematic) High Standard and new amateur-made K-frame grips

Marlene wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:15 am I’m pretty confident about the magazine resolving your feed issue.

Those grips look nice. Shoot them a bunch and maybe think about knocking down anything that offends with a file?
Yes. I don't want to take off too much. OTOH, I'm not proud. I think I'll put a little oval of cork bike handlebar tape where I think the palm swell should be on the right side and strap it down with some gaffers tape. If that works, I might make it permanent by making a putty of epoxy and sawdust and building it up. "Ugly but functional" is my motto. Also what my mirror tells me.
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.