The DA/SA & the Kahr

Background: My concealed carry workhorse is a Walther PPS Mod 1. I love the gun with its paddle mag release. So much so, that when I decided I needed a DA/SA for the house, I bought an HK P30SK because it has a paddle mag release as well. My deep concealment gun is a G42.

Now it’s key to note that I have to have a DA/SA for my house gun. Though not optional, with a DA/SA’s long initial trigger pull, I can put the weapon down unholstered without fear. Or even place it into a robe pocket sans holster in a pinch if there is a knock on the door while I’m in bed. That’s important to me.

Issue: This isn’t about debating if walking around with an unholstered striker is any less or more safe than a DA. I prefer a DA/SA for the house. I feel it’s safer and that’s all that matters really. No, This is about what happens when you train with strikers all the time and transition to a DA/SA. And for me, I’ve found I short stroke the HK every now and then being so used to the short reset of my G42 and my PPS.

Some might say it’s a training issue. Maybe, but I shoot a lot. And though it happens really rarely, when I do short stroke it, it gives me the Willy’s! I’ve trained a lot but after shooting my PPS or G42 a lot, when I transition, every now and again, I’ll short stoke the HK. Arg!

Solution? I’ve got my pusher looking for a CZ P-01 for me. It’s seemingly got a shorter reset. BUT I’m thinking of maybe replacing my beloved PPS and G42 with a Kahr CT9 and CM9 respectfully. They are the same size and an added benefit is then I’d only be packing 9s. More importantly though, with Kahrs longer pulls, after training with them, I doubt I’ll ever short stroke anything again! Win/win!

What says you? Would you pack a Kahr? And do you think it would solve the short stroking of my DA/SA?

Re: The DA/SA & the Kahr

I have a Kahr TP9. I love it. It is my CC workhorse. I have a snubby that I sometimes carry, but I always go back to the Kahr.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

Not a fan of Kahr...we belong to a small CCL Group that shares guns and helps each other find carry guns/guns for spouses etc. Everyone with a Kahr has had issues. I have shot a half a dozen different models and they are not reliable to me or the people I know.

Have you considered a DAO pistol like a Sig P290RS?

I'm a big lover of DA/SA and DAO pistols and all my carry or SD guns are this configuration because it works for me. I have known for some time that one can carry/train with DA/SA and transition easily to SA pistols with a minimum amount of training. The sticking point seems to be a thumb safety. However for folks who primarily use an SA pistol (my Brother carries a 1911 platform gun cocked and locked) they have a devil of a time running a DA/SA or DAO. And usually they blame the platform instead of the lack of experience and skill set.

A DA guy can usually transition to SA with minimal issues but SA guys have a hell of a time with that long DA pull and then the second shot being SA. Pick one or the other and stay with it is my advice. I can rotate different DA/SA pistols in and out but I'd never rotate an SA pistol into my carry routine without woodshedding it. If I was a long time SA Aficionado I'd never even entertain the thought of DA/SA.

VooDoo
Tyrants disarm the people they intend to oppress.

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

Yep, the P-01 is very tough to find. jgsales.com used to have them but looks like they're out now. The "suppressor ready" variant is easily available if you don't mind the urban grey finish, higher sights, and threaded barrel. Or you could get a P-07, the polymer-framed cousin.

RumRunner wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:59 am Some might say it’s a training issue. Maybe, but I shoot a lot. And though it happens really rarely, when I do short stroke it, it gives me the Willy’s! I’ve trained a lot but after shooting my PPS or G42 a lot, when I transition, every now and again, I’ll short stoke the HK. Arg!
How far forward do you allow the trigger to come after a shot? Do you train to bring the trigger to reset then squeeze the next shot? That's fine for working at a range, but doing so requires fine motor skillz that will be severely impaired when adrenaline dumps. Consider allowing the trigger to come forward until it stops and the finger lifts. Cops and GIs have been found rapidly squeezing a not-yet-reset trigger...

http://www.hendonpub.com/tactical_respo ... ontroversy

AndyH wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:45 pm
RumRunner wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:59 am Some might say it’s a training issue. Maybe, but I shoot a lot. And though it happens really rarely, when I do short stroke it, it gives me the Willy’s! I’ve trained a lot but after shooting my PPS or G42 a lot, when I transition, every now and again, I’ll short stoke the HK. Arg!
How far forward do you allow the trigger to come after a shot? Do you train to bring the trigger to reset then squeeze the next shot? That's fine for working at a range, but doing so requires fine motor skillz that will be severely impaired when adrenaline dumps. Consider allowing the trigger to come forward until it stops and the finger lifts. Cops and GIs have been found rapidly squeezing a not-yet-reset trigger...

http://www.hendonpub.com/tactical_respo ... ontroversy
That’s a pretty cool story, thanks for the share.

It’ll take a little practice to allow my finger to come off the trigger - if ever so slightly. But it’ll be well worth it I think. Though I didn’t word it as much, that’s why I thought getting some Kahrs might help, if only because you have to let the trigger fully reset at its foremost location.

Again, thanks. Interesting read.

I had the Kahr MK9 for awhile, and thought the trigger was pretty decent, but being all stainless, it was a heavy little bugger. I wound up selling it in favor of the G43, and while the Glock isn't nearly as nice to look at, I shoot it better than the MK9.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou