Low light/bad eyesight sight options

So I spent a day at the indoor range, mostly shooting my new 617. As with almost all of my guns, I had a fiber optic front sight installed.

However, the indoor range had really poor lighting, so my black targets completely absorbed my rear black sight, making it nigh-impossible to shoot accurately. I haven't had this problem when shooting outdoors, so I'm guessing it's because of the lighting at the range.

Anyway, I'd like the rear sight to stand-out a little better. Now I could go replacement white outline rear blade or replace the whole rear assembly with a fiber optic set, giving the gun a three dot sight system.

Which will be most accurate? Will the white outline be enough to make a difference?

Thanks in advance!

Oh, I did NOT have this issue with the 642 I was shooting -- the stainless finish of the snubbie sights contrasted well against the black targets and wasn't an issue.

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

Re: Low light/bad eyesight sight options

Great topic. I have the same issue. It's hard to keep completely black sights in alignment over a dark background. I tend to shoot high when the distance increases, and I think that's the reason (probably combined with other grip or trigger control defects like pushing or heeling). I will try the 6:00 technique, and if that does not work well enough, will also try the nail polish.

I would think the three dot system would work out best given your parameters.

My eyes suck, and my range is dark too. My XS Big Dots work well. I generally try to focus on the front sight as it is, but I note the rear post shines well enough for me to get on target. You just have to be comfortable covering the entire target with the sight when using big dots. Works for me.

Good luck

senorgrand wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:15 pm Now I'm kind of considering getting different colored targets...Amazon has some 4" adhesive blue splatter targets perfect for 22lr shooting.
That's definitely the easiest way. But it won't help if you need to use your gun in low light without a target.

On the 3 dot sights. It seems like they'd work better if the front was a different color than the rear. With all white dots, I tend to overthink which dot is in the middle. :oops: Someday, I'd like to see some of those big dot sights up close.

Yeah, I can still put x8 357 rounds into a 3" circle at 15y, even with the shitty lighting (thanks fiber optic front!), so I'm not too worried about defensive use.

I did read some on the interwebs and the consensus was 3 dots are for suck for quick acquisition. I think I will try blue targets AND buy a white outline rear blade. $11 for 100 targets and $25 for the sight blade.

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."