Browning 1911-380

My Wife's favorite pistol back in the day when we were young and strong was a Colt 1911 Officers ACP. Cut down 1911 in .45 ACP. As she got older and arthritic and compromised she couldn't handle the recoil or the stiffness or the racking....the cheese grater grip panels literally caused blood to flow so she gave it up. Enter the Sig Sauer P238 in .380 and she loves this gun as it's the same platform as a 1911 but chambered for .380 and has the ergos a Mature Lady can handle and shoot well.

So, I sourced a Browning 1911-380 - basically a 85% sized exact replica of a Colt 1911 with all the precision and ergos only chambered in .380 ACP. Brought it home tonight and Mama is in absolute heaven. Racks it/runs it like 40 years ago.

IMG_1485.JPG

I'll post some pix this weekend but I'm the good husband. Recreated a favorite handgun ride from 30+ years ago. She's thrilled - I'm thrilled. What a fantastic pistol...85% of a 1911 with polymer and adjusted norms to make it rock for smaller shooters or elderly shooters who know what they are doing but they lack the hand strength and recoil resistance they had when they were young but they still prefer the platform. SAO classic 1911 in a manageable caliber and profile.

Totally chuffed here. Pix and eval to follow.

VooDoo
Tyrants disarm the people they intend to oppress.

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

Re: Browning 1911-380

This is one on my short list. I have a Colt 380 Government and a Kimber Micro, both in 380. I have looked at the Browning and like it. The inclusion of the grip safety is a huge plus for me.
"Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.” Matt. 25:40

I'll try and get a few decent pix as the existing commercial pictures do not do the gun justice. I own quite a few modern handguns and rotate a few in/out of carry rotation. This near perfect scale representation of a 1911 is really well built. Fit and finish is unbelievable for a modern mass produced pistol. And it has an aluminum chassis in a polymer frame to lighten the gun *but* it does not scream *PoLyMeR!!* and I had to disassemble it to find where the plastic begins and the aluminum takes over.

The barrel looks to be Nitron coated stainless....the thing is like a fine pair of precision scissors. It is a joy....trigger breaks like glass at 4 pounds with no creep/no grit. 3 dot sights pick up fast and easy. Long barrel makes the most of .380 and the sight radius is getting on 5" or so.

Mama squealed with delight and racked/fondled/dry fired it until we missed supper and had to go to bed late. Finally a replacement for her favorite platform. Life is good.

VooDoo

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

I handled one of these extensively and loved its ergos. A really nice size, good balance, etc. But it is not a pocket gun. I have a Sig 238 and a CZ RAMI so I feel I have that part of parameter space covered.

However, one would be high on my list if disposable income allowed.

Pix of all three of our 1911 platform guns - Colt Officers ACP in .45, Sig Sauer P238 'Nitron" in .380, and the new Browning 1911-380 (in .380) for comparison. The Sig is heavier than the Browning but not as heavy as the Colt. The Browning is thinner than the Sig - the Browning is an 85% near exact scale model of the 1911 Colt.

Takedown/disassembly is virtually identical...minor differences. The Sig can be cycled with the safety up/on.
3SizeComparison.jpg
3_1911s.jpg
_45_.380.jpg
The Colt Officers will likely get sold to return funds and redeploy the investment. Really nice gun and it deserves to be in the hands of someone who will shoot it/collect it. We'll never shoot it and have too many pistols.

VooDoo

Couple more pix:
AllThreewidth.jpg
1911-380_Locked.jpg
1911-380_Disassembled.jpg
I'll do a range report when we shoot it next weekend. Prolly try and get a movie uploaded of Mama shooting the gun. Seems many have contemplated buying one of these but have been put off by the price.

VooDoo