HK VP9 or Walther PPQ ....

The new gun bug has bitten me again. Only the third time this year, so I am ok to spend some coin.

Want a full-size 9 primarily for range work. Occasional home defense duty might not be out of order.

Looking at the HK VP9 or the Walther PPQ in 9. I have heard only great things about the PPQ and its trigger.

Anyone have recommendations on either?

Not too partial to striker fired pistols sometimes .. so if you know a full-size hammered fired pistol in 9, comparable to the aforementioned two...

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Re: HK VP9 or Walther PPQ ....

Hi JT:
I had the same problem...I shot both and found them SO similar that they were far ahead of all my other choices (I didn't shoot the H-K P30 then or it would have been a 3-way tie!)

I ended up with a VP-9 because the LE version came with tritium sights, and 3 15 round magazines, as well as 3 sets of side panels and back straps and the price was better. I believe I would have been just as happy with the PPQ.

So, I guess my suggestion is whichever gives you more of your preferred options at the best price should be your choice, and enjoy it and don't look back!
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:57 pm Hi JT:
I had the same problem...I shot both and found them SO similar that they were far ahead of all my other choices (I didn't shoot the H-K P30 then or it would have been a 3-way tie!)

I ended up with a VP-9 because the LE version came with tritium sights, and 3 15 round magazines, as well as 3 sets of side panels and back straps and the price was better. I believe I would have been just as happy with the PPQ.

So, I guess my suggestion is whichever gives you more of your preferred options at the best price should be your choice, and enjoy it and don't look back!
Same thoughts with the same result in the VP9. At the time of purchase, H&K had a 4 free magazines with any purchase within a certain timeframe. If you know anything about H&K magazine prices, THAT is what sealed the deal for me.
LGC Texas - Vice President

atxgunguy wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:01 am
YankeeTarheel wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:57 pm Hi JT:

Same thoughts with the same result in the VP9. At the time of purchase, H&K had a 4 free magazines with any purchase within a certain timeframe. If you know anything about H&K magazine prices, THAT is what sealed the deal for me.
And then, with the new NJ law limiting mags to 10 rounds, I had to replace all of them! :evilmad: :angry: :ras:

I may be more sympathetic to many gun control laws than most here, but I am convinced by the evidence I've seen that there is a zero statistically significant difference in the effect on gun crimes between a 15 or 10 round limit.

Meanwhile, we are awaiting the results of a lawsuit seeking an injunction against this new law before the 180 day window to get rid of or alter our 15 round mags expires in December.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:36 am Meanwhile, we are awaiting the results of a lawsuit seeking an injunction against this new law before the 180 day window to get rid of or alter our 15 round mags expires in December.
I'm curious. Is it a crime to keep the mags at home and just not use them? Even if, say, you don't own a gun that fits them? That would be crazy, but my guess is it's the case.

I'm with you on the magazine capacity limits. Like gun-free zones, they only aggravate law-abiding folks, and do nothing to stop crime.

What the law says is that they were immediately illegal but that there was a 180 day grace period to dispose of, or modify them. During that time the advice is not to use them, not to transport them, other than to a licensed gun shop, or, I guess, out of state. A LGS can legally store them for a small annual fee. You can also relinquish them to the police, for no compensation, but there are several bureaucratic hurdles to pass even to do that!

There's nothing in the law as I've read it that makes an exception if you don't own the matching firearm. If you transport magazines, even legal ones, loaded with ammunition, that's considered, under the law, a loaded gun EVEN IF NO GUN IS PRESENT! Yes. I know. It makes no sense. It's also not clear whether speed-loaders for revolvers, which are not actually magazines, have the same restrictions. I won't be the test case!

They're both outstanding. I think the PPQ trigger is better, but I like the "ears" on the VP9 slide. Both feel very comfortable in the hand.

For similar hammer fired options, I like CZ, but you could also look at Grand Power, FN, Beretta, ...

- http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-p-09-9mm-b ... 19-rd-mags
- http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-75-sp-01-9 ... 8-rd-mags/
- http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-75-sp-01-t ... 8-rd-mags/
- http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-75-sp-01-p ... 17-update/
- And all the other CZ 75 variants

I had a PPQ and liked it okay, but I had three problems. First, while the grip gets a lot of praise, I found it hard to "index" in my hand, i.e., know where it's sitting just by the feel. Small problem, but it's there. Second, I really, really disliked the main Walther forum - enough so that I sold the PPQ. Third, not limited to the PPQ, but dropping it can present you with a dead trigger. Yeah, I know, "Don't drop your handgun..." but bad things happen, and an external hammer on the HK P30 doesn't suffer from that problem.

The VP9 is a little better than the PPQ for me, as I don't dislike any HK forums, but that's all on me. I really don't like the little groove HK carves in the bottom of the trigger guard, VP9 and P30, as my trigger finger drags along it like a dull knife, but with my P30S I can carry single action locked and avoid most of the feel. The VP9 also suffers from the dead trigger after drop syndrome. The VP9 has a grip height a tenth of an inch longer than the PPQ, if that matters to you. The length of pull of the VP9 trigger is enough shorter than the PPQ's that I'd pick the VP9 if someone forced me to choose between the PPQ and VP9, but what I did choose was the P30.
There are 10 kinds of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

BjornSig wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:12 pm Ah, I have the VP9, I have had it for about seven months and it has become one of my favorite pistols to shoot. I love everything about it. The fit, the feeling and the way it shoots.
I've had mine for about a year and a half and I think it's still the best handgun I've shot--and it has the LE tritium night sights. There's nothing about it I don't like---well, maybe the price of magazines! :lol:

JaxTeller wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:26 pm I still haven't made up my mind. Maybe one of these days. ..

I did see the Walther Creed on sale at CDNN for 269. Also the Ruger Security 9 can be had for the same price. Tempting on both of those and the Ruger seemed to be a better fit and feel for me.

I've never shot a creed, but I did hold one and it felt good to me. It's not super popular or widespread but for a cheaper pistol the people who have bought it give it very strong reviews and a lot of praise.

Bardo wrote:Ive tried renting/shooting most of the common striker semis now with various rental coupons, range friends, relatives, etc. Glocks, springfields, HK, sig, s&w. Id rather keep my taurus. Its $200 and flawless...$.02
What model Taurus is it?

I have one of the first few PT 111 Millenniums that hit the market. Gets carried a lot. Love it.

For range and possible HD, the VP9 is the better choice, in my opinion. The PPQ has a slightly better trigger but you can barely tell the difference. The VP9, however, has a clearly superior ergonomics, especially with the multiple sizes of backstraps and grip panels. A pistol that fits your hand like a glove provides better grip and controllability.

If this is for carry, I'd pick the PPQ over the VP9 because it's a little smaller and lighter. Actually I'd go for a Glock or M&P for carry. They're not fancy and their trigger needs some work, but they are dead nuts reliable. In the once-in-a-lifetime event that you draw your gun on the street, you know that a Glock will go bang.
Glad that federal government is boring again.

Stiff wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:56 pm For range and possible HD, the VP9 is the better choice, in my opinion. The PPQ has a slightly better trigger but you can barely tell the difference. The VP9, however, has a clearly superior ergonomics, especially with the multiple sizes of backstraps and grip panels. A pistol that fits your hand like a glove provides better grip and controllability.

If this is for carry, I'd pick the PPQ over the VP9 because it's a little smaller and lighter. Actually I'd go for a Glock or M&P for carry. They're not fancy and their trigger needs some work, but they are dead nuts reliable. In the once-in-a-lifetime event that you draw your gun on the street, you know that a Glock will go bang.
When I was testing semis, I had almost the same reaction, but I wasn't experienced enough to feel the trigger difference. Since then, H-K has introduced the compact version of the VP9, the VP9 SK, and EVERYTHING I've read about it says it's every bit the same as the full size. It's bigger than the Sig P365, but hasn't had any of the Sig's issues. The VP9's hammer-fired twin is the P30 and P30 SK. I rented the P30 when I was thinking about the P30 SK (the VP9 version was only a rumor) and, while not a hammer-fired guy, it was simply the nicest I've tried, including Sigs and the Beretta.

Just my 2.5 cents (inflation is here).

YankeeTarheel wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:21 pm
Stiff wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:56 pm For range and possible HD, the VP9 is the better choice, in my opinion. The PPQ has a slightly better trigger but you can barely tell the difference. The VP9, however, has a clearly superior ergonomics, especially with the multiple sizes of backstraps and grip panels. A pistol that fits your hand like a glove provides better grip and controllability.

When I was testing semis, I had almost the same reaction, but I wasn't experienced enough to feel the trigger difference. Since then, H-K has introduced the compact version of the VP9, the VP9 SK, and EVERYTHING I've read about it says it's every bit the same as the full size. It's bigger than the Sig P365, but hasn't had any of the Sig's issues. The VP9's hammer-fired twin is the P30 and P30 SK. I rented the P30 when I was thinking about the P30 SK (the VP9 version was only a rumor) and, while not a hammer-fired guy, it was simply the nicest I've tried, including Sigs and the Beretta.

Just my 2.5 cents (inflation is here).
The VP9SK is a niche gun. I think only H&K enthusiasts or people in restricted mag capacity states can appreciate it. It makes no sense for concealed carry because it's much larger and heavier than other 10-round double stack polymer pistols. If you're not going to carry it, there's no need for the shorter grip, just go with the full size.
Glad that federal government is boring again.

Stiff wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:41 pm The VP9SK is a niche gun. I think only H&K enthusiasts or people in restricted mag capacity states can appreciate it. It makes no sense for concealed carry because it's much larger and heavier than other 10-round double stack polymer pistols. If you're not going to carry it, there's no need for the shorter grip, just go with the full size.
I love my VP9, but I still wouldn't pay for a VP9SK. To you point, the weight and reduced capacity make something like a Glock 19 infinitely more appealing.
LGC Texas - Vice President