BATF questions

ok, your at the range and pull out the trusty Glock 17, you also have a piece of plastic that allows the shooter to hold the gun against a steadying device. the plastic "thingy" goes from the shooters shoulder to the gun. the gun is held in the device by one or both shooting hands. the device in no way attaches to the gun. if the shooter let go, the pistol and the "thingy" would come apart and fall to the ground in 2 pieces.
would the BATF want to cuff the shooter or sell a $200 license, because they thought the "thingy" is a shoulder stock and held together with the pistol it's an unlicensed short barreled rifle?

Re: BATF questions

I'll go out on the limb with a saw on this and say no reason to for the BATF to do anything. The device doesn't attach to the handgun. So it would be nothing more than what you have with an adjustable bench rest, sandbag, or Steady Stick.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

a telescoping monopod, maybe looks like a walking cane, slides right on to the Glock rails and holds the gun steady at required height? that would get the BATF agent scratching his head.
I'm old and have a minor shake I'd like to smooth out so my laser sight doesn't bounce around as I'm lining up the shot. besides it just looks like an interesting way to shoot. I'm going to have to look around and see if there isn't a review on a Mauser, w/stock.

Texan is probably right, but still possibly worth checking with a knowledgeable lawyer in your area, that since your "thingy" does not physically attach to the firearm that it doesn't fall under NFA jursidiction.

Your telescoping monopod attatched to the rail of your Glock, on the other hand, could be considered a vertical fore grip and would then fall under these guidelines. (I think, I'll happily defer to someone with more concrete knowledge on the matter.)
He roughed us, then he cuffed us
And he took us off to jail
No picture on a poster, no reward, and no bail