I just received a Walther P5

I just received a Walther P5 from my dad. Brought it home today, cleaned it , took a picture and will take it to the range tomorrow. It has a very smooth action, either it is very easy to rack or the springs are old. I don't know anything about it except that it was in a couple of James Bond movies and that it's a 70's or 80's gun used by the police in Germany and Holland among others. I believe it's pretty rare and there aren't many you-tube videos about it.
20181113_175457.jpg

Re: I just received a Walther P5

I had one for awhile back in the 80s. In general, I thought it was a good piece - smooth slide action, nice trigger. I got rid of it only because the trigger reach was too long and because I couldn't get past the tool marks on the receiver above the trigger. I guess their police customers didn't worry about that. At the time it was known to be highly accurate. I suggest that if you're going to keep it you should try to find a couple of extra magazines while you can.
There are 10 kinds of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Re: I just received a Walther P5

That pistol is mechanically very similar to the Walther P38/P1, and also the Beretta 92/96 series. I handled a P5 at Interarms long ago, but not shot one.

I have shot the Walther P38 and Beretta 92 a heck of a lot. My P38 was my only pistol for a long time, and it got shot a lot with WWII surplus. I never did anything to it but clean & oil it. One day in the late 1980s, as I was oiling it up, I noticed a crack working its way up the side of the slide at the locking piece recess. I should have changed the recoil springs. Fortunately, a replacement slide was not expensive, but I now change the springs after several thousand rounds, and have not had further trouble.

The other problems I have seen happen to others are with the locking piece breaking a wing off, and if you pierce a primer the gasses can blow the top cover off the slide and have parts escape.

You would do well to ascertain which parts are the same as P38/P1 parts and lay in a supply. CDNN once had a huge supply of P1 parts which they have sold most off cheap.