Re: c96 broomhandle

shinzen wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:48 pm Any thoughts on making replacement springs?
Mauserbroomhandlehammerpin-84x84.JPG
Mauserbroomhandlehammerpin-84x84.JPG (1.21 KiB) Viewed 2339 times
aw heck, lemme see if i can find a better pic.
mauser-original-parts-c96-broom_1_2be8e9386ca0c80d57b2ed97ad98c608.jpg
mauser-original-parts-c96-broom_1_2be8e9386ca0c80d57b2ed97ad98c608.jpg (24.3 KiB) Viewed 2292 times
if i were a machinist, likely not a big deal
it's a 3-legged thing, the hammer pin, disconnector spring and latch spring are all one piece. it's really quite clever, except if it's worn out. i haven't had it off the gun because it is under some tension from the main spring, so haven't measured the disconnector spring arm. the spec is out there, i've seen it, should have written it down. i'm reluctant to try welding on the actual spring because i believe heat can ruin springs. might ruin the temper on the disconnector if i weld on that, but i can get a replacement.
and no, i'm not a metallurgist, either.
Last edited by lurker on Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

i shudder to think what that would cost. this is why i'm considering welding a bit on the disconnector, which looks far simpler to my simple mind. i'd try jbweld or soldering a piece but i wouldn't expect either to hold up to the stress. my welding skills are not up to this. if i go this route, i'll hire someone local.

yes that's it! :bananadance: $75! :evilmad: but new. :wall:
ordered it, expected to arrive next friday.
thanks, i've been avoiding shopping ebay. i realize i'm a luddite,
got burned there 10 years ago for some history books.

history books, 100+ year old guns... for some reason, memories linger...

i owe you a chardonnay. or a craft beer, your choice. :beer:
Last edited by lurker on Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

Yeah, obscure difficult to manufacture parts. Gods they are expensive.

Fleabay is okay I've found, as long as I stick to reputable sellers. I've been burned a time or two, but hell, I've been burned by garbage products in stores from time to time too.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

through all of this, looking at the way they built this thing, i'm led to the conclusion that while herr mauser was no slacker, the federle brothers were geniuses.

see chardonnay reference above.

i choked a bit when i saw the price, but what do you do? you suck it up and do it.

and thanks to marlene, too, you've been very helpful through this entire process. sometimes an unwanted dose of reality to counter the irrrational optimism, but still necessary.
and all of you enablers in the chorus, too.
i suppose i should hold off on the celebration until it shoots, might jinx it.
Last edited by lurker on Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bucolic wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:46 am This is a great story!
it ain't over yet. there's many a slip, twixt the cup and the lip. :eek:
i told you, all the minutia.
at some point i'll go thru and total all the charges. this should be the last of the parts, other than the barrel reline.
Last edited by lurker on Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

sear am and disconnector arrived. new parts, good close fit. well done, kbtactical!
will try dry fit. still waiting on pin, springs. maybe by end of week.
meanwhile, looking for ammo locally. 1 box will do for starters. i suspect everyone at the range will want to shoot it, i know i would/do/will.
LUGO1161.JPG
new parts on top, old on bottom. not exactly identical.
the new parts ARE a closer fit, less wiggle, so yes, the tolerances may well stack in my favor. i also notice the ledge i was thinking of adding on to is slightly wider, maybe a couple of thousandths. my dial caliper is lost out in the chicken coop.

when we moved to get away from the sociopath neighbor, i had a garage full of tools and equipment. much of it, ladders, lawn mowers, yard tools went under the porch. all the sensitive stuff, electronics, reloading bench, welders etc went into the only outbuilding. the chicken coop. i just ordered a 10'x12' prefab shop building from lowes which should be delivered by the end of the month on pallets for me to assemble, and then the dial caliper will come out of the coop and live on a reloading bench again. the table saw has been sitting out in the yard under the sky and a tarp all winter, and it's going to need some cleaning up. everything is going to need some cleaning up.

i had planned at some point to make a post about the sociopath, but just haven't had the desire to go into all that. it's been exhausting, and we still have to deal with him on some level because we still own the other house. this guy has done some things which i think should be prosecutable, but he's careful to act like a sane person in the presence of authorities, and then when they leave he'll turn and smile and wink at us. he knows exactly what he's doing, and takes pleasure in causing others discomfort. i imagine it being something like living next door to donald trump. his husband just enables him and makes excuses for him. he told me once, "i know my husband is an asshole, but...". if he were to suddenly disappear i wouldn't mind, at all. and he will, eventually, someday he'll run up against someone with a thinner veneer of civility.

but that's not what this thread is for. thanks for the opportunity to vent.