Re: CC Choice For Significant Other

Marlene wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:51 pm
Hiker wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:08 pm Smith and Wesson 331 AirLite Ti, in 32 H&R magnum. It weighs II ounces unloaded, and has very manageable recoil, and best of all ---6 shots. I have one that I adore.

S&W331.jpg
Still hate you ;)
I promise I will let you play with it sometime!!!! :love:
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

To the OP from your posts I'm unsure how much your wife has shot. I feel that getting a gun that she will enjoy to shoot frequently is very important. The lightest and most powerful handguns tend to not only kick the most but also the report and concussive blast can be quite unnerving to people who shoot very little. I don't carry but if I did it would be very important to me that I practiced a lot and it's against human nature to do something unpleasant frequently.

I have both the Ruger LCR .357 and the SP-101 .357. As others have mentioned, the SP-101 is a rather heavy chunk of stainless steel to be toting around. The heavy mass of the gun, with the addition of softer Hogue grips, helps tame some of the sting when I shoot full house magnum loads, but just too much of a weight penalty IMO for a daily carry. The LCR revolver in .357 is lighter, easier to carry option, but the lightweight gun can be punishing when shooting .357 rounds. I usually opt for .38 special ammo for range work with the LCR. And the beefed up frame of the .357 LCR model would definitely be better at absorbing recoil when firing the milder .38 rounds compared to the .38 model LCR. I say go with the .357 LCR and experiment with various .38 SD rounds all the way up to +P and see what is acceptable. Find a mild .38 fmj ammo for practice that doesn't cause excessive flinching.

eelj wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:01 pm To the OP from your posts I'm unsure how much your wife has shot. I feel that getting a gun that she will enjoy to shoot frequently is very important. The lightest and most powerful handguns tend to not only kick the most but also the report and concussive blast can be quite unnerving to people who shoot very little. I don't carry but if I did it would be very important to me that I practiced a lot and it's against human nature to do something unpleasant frequently.
I've noticed with first time shooters I take to the range that their first few shots tend to be their best. First few shots they align the sights, hold steady, and squeeze the trigger like I have instructed. Then they start to associate the trigger pull with a loud scary bang at arm's length from their face and the accuracy starts to erode as a flinch develops in anticipation of the bang.

Bucolic wrote:Just a data point: my wife had a hard time with an LCR IN .38 Spl. It really aggravated her arthritic hand to the extent that she would not shoot it.
I’d avoid the airweight revolvers in any caliber. They are punishing to healthy hands.

Try the sw ez. Keep it simple. The 238 is awesome but external hammer etc. striker fired keeps it simple. But she should try them.

That EZ does sound great. Reviews are starting to come in. My favorite comment on this review is:
To all the Ultra Tactically Delusional Shitheads out there, this gun is not for you, and as such, your input is unnecessary. As someone who has sold guns for over 5 years, I can tell you there is a need for this niche pistol. The elderly, the disabled, women, etc need the ability to defend themselves, and this is a lot better than saying “oh well, I guess you have to use a .22. Good luck!” So shut up about the grip safety and the thumb safety. The pistol was not designed with you in mind.
Female reviewer:

Male reviewer:

It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

If I might, I'll suggest the Walther PK 380. It's a .380 semi-auto with a very light spring so the slide is easy to rack. The magazines hold 8 rounds, which is a bit more than most 380s, too. This is what I carry in my purse, and I'm quite happy with it.
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

I'd go to all the local gun shops, even the ones that don't have ranges / won't rent, and let her hold (and point) them. My SO and I went through this process and ended up discovering that grip angle was the determining factor, which helped rule out a lot of options. So, you never know. Pay attention to what wrist and shoulder alignment might be telling you...

RapidButterfly wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:04 am I really like my sig p365, fwiw. Shoots well despite how small it is, excellent form factor, night sights. I’m quite enamored with it as an option when something bigger isn’t.
How is the recoil on the P365? I've got the P320 in 9mm, currently set up as a sub-c, and the recoil is much heavier than when it's set up as compact or carry.
Do you use a lower velocity round?
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Eris wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:13 pm If I might, I'll suggest the Walther PK 380. It's a .380 semi-auto with a very light spring so the slide is easy to rack. The magazines hold 8 rounds, which is a bit more than most 380s, too. This is what I carry in my purse, and I'm quite happy with it.
Or the similar-sized Bersa .380. My .380CC has been great, so far. I think I'm about 250 rounds into it with no failures except sticky feeding of the very first round I loaded. I think I rode the slide down on it that time.

I've read complaints of painful recoil for the Thunder, but I think that was the original model. The CC has a completely different frame. Not only is it shorter on the business end, the grip frame and grip are different, with more curvature in the back of the grip frame. Maybe that spares your thumb, since it seems to really nestle into my palm. I shot almost 100 rounds on my first time out with it and felt nothing.

Not sure it's easy enough to rack, though. I can do it easily with just my thumb and forefinger, but I just tried with my ring finger and thumb, thinking that would be a better test, and couldn't really do it. That was the first time I ever tried doing that, so it was very awkward. Maybe I could eventually get the hang of it.

I fondled an M&P EZ last summer. I wasn't taking notes, and it was long before I got my Bersa, but I did notice that the slide action was very light. I'm pretty sure it's easier than the Bersa.
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

We’ll take a look at the Walther along with the EZ. I have to say after looking at a couple of videos of that P365, I’m pretty impressed. Amazing how they managed to stuff a double stacked magazine in a grip that thin. Impressed with the Sigs I own. Might also be nice to add another choice for carry for me. There I go being selfish again ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buck13 wrote:
Eris wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:13 pm If I might, I'll suggest the Walther PK 380. It's a .380 semi-auto with a very light spring so the slide is easy to rack. The magazines hold 8 rounds, which is a bit more than most 380s, too. This is what I carry in my purse, and I'm quite happy with it.
Or the similar-sized Bersa .380. My .380CC has been great, so far. I think I'm about 250 rounds into it with no failures except sticky feeding of the very first round I loaded. I think I rode the slide down on it that time.

I've read complaints of painful recoil for the Thunder, but I think that was the original model. The CC has a completely different frame. Not only is it shorter on the business end, the grip frame and grip are different, with more curvature in the back of the grip frame. Maybe that spares your thumb, since it seems to really nestle into my palm. I shot almost 100 rounds on my first time out with it and felt nothing.

Not sure it's easy enough to rack, though. I can do it easily with just my thumb and forefinger, but I just tried with my ring finger and thumb, thinking that would be a better test, and couldn't really do it. That was the first time I ever tried doing that, so it was very awkward. Maybe I could eventually get the hang of it.

I fondled an M&P EZ last summer. I wasn't taking notes, and it was long before I got my Bersa, but I did notice that the slide action was very light. I'm pretty sure it's easier than the Bersa.
I had the standard Bersa Thunder several years ago. In fact I qualified for my CC here in Texas with it. My brother since absconded with it and won’t give it back. Childhood karma is a bitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YankeeTarheel wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:46 am
RapidButterfly wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:04 am I really like my sig p365, fwiw. Shoots well despite how small it is, excellent form factor, night sights. I’m quite enamored with it as an option when something bigger isn’t.
How is the recoil on the P365? I've got the P320 in 9mm, currently set up as a sub-c, and the recoil is much heavier than when it's set up as compact or carry.
Do you use a lower velocity round?
No, for SD I use barely plus p federal jhp (nominally / claimed 1225 FPS out of a service length barrel) and find it quite civilized. Even more so with std pressure rounds. Not a huge fan of slow stuff out of short barrels, but I know some disagree.

Ideally you could rent one and see what you think, and your s.o. It just impresses the heck out of me and with a 12 rd mag the capacity is even more impressive.
audite semper, semper discendum

Lotta good suggestions here. Only comment i'll make, as a former cop, is you sacrifice lethality (32acp) at your peril. The "break contact" tactic is always good for a civilian, but NOT a valid "plan A". Perp gets a vote, & the faster you terminate a gunfight, the less shot you get. My pen/expansion tests w/380acp (specifically rem golden saber 102gr BJHP vs 147gr GS BJHP 9mm) shows near identical depth & expansion. I would assume other premium defensive loads will perform similarly. Be certain they feed in your wpn.

Wisdomseeker wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:44 am Lotta good suggestions here. Only comment i'll make, as a former cop, is you sacrifice lethality (32acp) at your peril. The "break contact" tactic is always good for a civilian, but NOT a valid "plan A". Perp gets a vote, & the faster you terminate a gunfight, the less shot you get. My pen/expansion tests w/380acp (specifically rem golden saber 102gr BJHP vs 147gr GS BJHP 9mm) shows near identical depth & expansion. I would assume other premium defensive loads will perform similarly. Be certain they feed in your wpn.
How about an intro.

viewforum.php?f=37

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

sikacz wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:42 am
Wisdomseeker wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:44 am you sacrifice lethality (32acp) at your peril.
How about an intro.

viewforum.php?f=37
that's twice. i made the same suggestion in another thread.

yes, we understand there's a tradeoff. if i cant bring my .45acp to the party, i have to hope that .25acp is "persauasive". i've only had to display a firearm once, and never had to point, much less shoot one.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

lurker wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:35 am
sikacz wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:42 am
Wisdomseeker wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:44 am you sacrifice lethality (32acp) at your peril.
How about an intro.

viewforum.php?f=37
that's twice. i made the same suggestion in another thread.

yes, we understand there's a tradeoff. if i cant bring my .45acp to the party, i have to hope that .25acp is "persauasive". i've only had to display a firearm once, and never had to point, much less shoot one.
As my grandad had said, anything is better than arms reach.. I was told he had a .25acp FN.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.