Re: Request for CZ 75 guidance ...

I’d urge you to consider holding onto your 9mm 1911 for a while if you haven’t already let it go. I’ve been through the Wonder 9’s journey your traveling now and found trigger feel was most important to me. And that translated as the 1911 rising to the top.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

The 1911 in .45 and one in 9mm are surprisingly different beasts. Reason enough for owning both IMHO.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Range Report

I picked up my CZ 75 Compact Friday afternoon. After dinner, I cleaned it and made sure all look good. It did need a bit of oil, but it was in good condition out of the box. It came with two 15 round magazines with rubber covers on the baseplate.

I had pre-ordered 2 spare magazines:
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/81214 ... steel-blue

The spares I ordered have a steel baseplate and are 14 rounds.

All 4 mags therefore hold 58 rounds total - and I fired them all twice with full capacity for a total of 116 rounds. I used very standard 124 gr FMJ ammo (from Venture Munitions in Las Vegas.)

Zero problems. Zero misfeeds or failures to fire. I am still getting used to the trigger. There is a zen state for me with a gun where I do my very best shots when the exact time of the shot is a 'surprise'. These shots from the CZ 75 hit exactly dead center from 7 yards. I backed out to 10 years to get better with the trigger. My shooting was nothing to brag about, but I did shoot 116 rounds and have all of them hit inside at least the #8 ring and 95% inside the #9 ring. The ragged hole that was left of the #10 center was about 1 inch left and 1 inch high of the dead center.

I am super happy with the gun. I have watched about 2 hours of YouTube videos from "Practical Shooter". Mostly on teardown and reassembly.

I am looking at the trigger packages on Cajun Gunworks, but for the short term, I just want to learn to shoot the out-of-the-box firearm.

This is the gun I have been looking for since I sold my 92FS in 2011. I do believe I had to go down the Polymer/Striker route to see what the fuss is all about. And I still respect the technology (and utter simplicity) that has been developed for that class of firearms. I will never bad mouth the function, reliability or the trigger on my Sig P320s. But to me, they have no soul. The CZ 75 is just at the sweet spot of "modern enough" and "old school enough" to be a great fit.

I'll keep track of any malfunctions, but thus far, nothing bad at all, and my experience with semi-autos is that they often mis-behave in the first couple hundred rounds.

Thanks to all on this thread who have chimed in. I have tried all the ideas on for size, but in the end, I wanted an external safety, not a de-cocker. I love the Compact size. And I am looking on eBay for wood grips :-). One really nice feature is that the CZ 75 Compact is close rough to the size/shape of my Sig P320 SC that I have three leather holsters that fit. (Both have the flat front trigger guard for example, and in the same exact relative place on the firearm.)

The only minor negative I have is that the inside rail design creates a shorter slide, so the grip needed to rack the slide takes practice. But I knew all about this before I ordered my pistol. I would never trade what I have now for a 92 Compact for example (which has the taller slide). I really dislike the direction of the Beretta safety/de-cocker. I dislike the slide mount and I am already shooting as well with my new CZ as I did with my old Beretta after lots of practice. The CZ 'points' better. And the lower axis of the barrel really helps me get back on target quickly.
Last edited by max129 on Mon May 06, 2019 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cool report. Everything you described mirrors my own experiences with CZ's (low bore axis, points naturally, small grab area to rack the slide in a hurry), Beretta 92's (darn slide mounted safety WTF?!?) and Plastic Fantastics (yup, they work).

polymath said:

Let me know if you find a way to have those mec-gar 14rd magazines not bite your strong hand with the base plate when the support hand pushes the magazine home... I have a bunch for practice mags and I've had zero issues with them except for the thirst for flesh.
I agree, I am not in love with the metal base 14 rounders. It is very clear why CZ went with the rubber base on the 15 round mag. The only two good things about the mec-gar mags is that (1) they do work fine; and (2) they are $23 each.

The 15 round mags (with the blue plastic follower) that match the ones that came with my gun are $43 each. None the less, I will be order more 15 rounders from CZ-USA instead of more 14 rounders from MidwayUSA. BudsGunShop show the picture for the CZ Mag # 11123, but is "sold out" so you cannot see the price from when they were in stock. The same mags are $46 on WholesaleHunter. And backordered at $50 on Discount Firearms. The half dozen places I have found them online are all more expensive than from CZ-USA.com.

I put another 150 rounds through my CZ 75 this weekend. A very good range day.

I have 4 magazines, so the 150 rounds took 2.5 full reloads. After that, I tend to lose focus and just stroke the trigger, so "training" ends and "bad training" begins.

My accuracy at 7 yards is good. None of the rounds left the size of a paper plate, with a really empty hole in the middle that was only 3" in diameter.

Now that I have enough rounds through it, I know roughly where the asymptote of trigger excellence is for me and this gun. Good, but not quite as good as my Sig P320. I like the CZ more than the P320 for a couple of reasons, but the Sig has a better trigger.

I will now begin the process of checking out the services at Cajun Gun Works. I would love some feedback on this from this who have used Cajun, other gunsmiths or just bought parts.

Cajun lists a couple fo packages ($350 to $400) for "Defensive Carry" and "Pro Grade". Neither seems to replace or tune the trigger.

I like the fact that Cajun focuses on CZs, but I am not in love with the packages they have. I would love to see a package for "Great Range Gun" since I am unlikely to every carry the CZ 75 Compact.

My current trigger is good, but the break is not perfectly clean. I don't feel any grit, but I do experience a longer and heavier signal action travel than is optimal.

Any suggestions? (Thanks for your help)

Bang said:

Part of me wishes they still made those so that I could buy a new one. Part of me is glad they don't, because I spend enough money on guns.

Bang, I have discovered that hanging out on this forum may cause a (ahem) slight increase in firearms spending. :clap:

Yesterday I ordered the Ultra light package from Canjun Gun Works recommended by Bucolic.

Of course, I also had to buy a set of nice pin punches. I think I could buy a nice firearm with the small collection of gun smithing tools I have acquired in the past year. But the truth is that I enjoy cleaning and working on guns almost as much as shooting, and it does not necessitate a trip to the range.

My Canjun Gun Works CZ 75 Ultra-lite kit showed up ($49).

I installed it. I had to watch a video 3 times to figure out to to get the magazine brake back in (the flat backstrap.) But it only took about 30 minutes, even going very slowly. I think I could do the whole thing in 5 minutes now.

Range Test:
MUCH Improved single action trigger. I can hit almost as good as I could with my Sig P320 and I think I can meet that level in a few more sessions.

I am now into many hundred rounds on my CZ 75 Compact with zero FTF/F - no bad events of any kind. I bought two spare magazines (both 14 round) and all 4 mags are flawless.

This was a very happy purchase. The CZ 75 is a bit heavy to carry, but a hoot to shoot - makes a perfect range gun.

Thanks to all for the guidance.

max129 wrote:My Canjun Gun Works CZ 75 Ultra-lite kit showed up ($49).

I installed it. I had to watch a video 3 times to figure out to to get the magazine brake back in (the flat backstrap.) But it only took about 30 minutes, even going very slowly. I think I could do the whole thing in 5 minutes now.

Range Test:
MUCH Improved single action trigger. I can hit almost as good as I could with my Sig P320 and I think I can meet that level in a few more sessions.

I am now into many hundred rounds on my CZ 75 Compact with zero FTF/F - no bad events of any kind. I bought two spare magazines (both 14 round) and all 4 mags are flawless.

This was a very happy purchase. The CZ 75 is a bit heavy to carry, but a hoot to shoot - makes a perfect range gun.

Thanks to all for the guidance.
Glad you like the CGW kit. I was feeling responsible if you didn’t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Cajun kit only makes claims to improve the Double Action trigger. But I almost never fire in DA on my CZ. The single action pull is noticeably lighter and seems more crisp. In total the kit has 3 springs and a new firing pin. You can see that the new firing pin is just slightly longer than the factory one. Given that the Single Action trigger is better, I am guessing it is a combination of the parts, not just the main hammer spring.

In any event, I do believe I can train to hit consistent bullseyes with this improved trigger. Anything left now is the shooter. not the gun.