Another "am I crazy" thread: 9mm revolver

Reviews and discussion of handguns.

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

senorgrand
Verified Member
Verified Member

Another "am I crazy" thread: 9mm revolver

Post by senorgrand »

Well, I just bought a house (yay!), which means I have no free time for the foreseeable future (boo!).

My brand new reloading setup is still in its cardboard box and mocks me everytime I go into the garage.

I was only going ro reload 38 special so I could shoot steel at my local range. Instead of reloading (which I doubt I will do anytime soon), why not just buy an extra cylinder for my 627 and have it milled to accept 9mm? I could then just buy a crap ton of 9mm and shoot to my heart's content.

That would put me down to two calibers (9mm and 22lr), which I can easily obtain at rock bottom prices.

Crazy?

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

Marlene
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: Another "am I crazy" thread: 9mm revolver

Post by Marlene »

could be crazier

senorgrand
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by senorgrand »

Is that a challenge? ;)

Hiker
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by Hiker »

A 9mm revolver?!?! What a dumbass idea! Who the hell would want a 9mm revolver????

I'm such an enabler.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

Marlene
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by Marlene »

The cylinder swap seems a good way to do it. Gotta make sure both cylinders time correctly, which doesn’t always happen with drop-in cylinders? Definitely need the right Smith for the job (and consult before buying parts).
I’m honestly curious cause I’d think about the same for my 327.

senorgrand
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by senorgrand »

I found a couple shops that do the conversion work. You can send your revolver in to S&W to get a new cylinder and they'll do the timing for you. Then ship to a 3rd party to do the conversion. I would probably go with the unfluted version.

Bisbee
Carpal Tunnel

Post by Bisbee »

Jeebus, that just sounds expensive.

Reloading .38 is actually fun, you know?
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Marlene
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by Marlene »

Does S&W do it so you have two cylinders that both time right?

senorgrand
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by senorgrand »

Yup!

Marlene
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by Marlene »

Yeah I wanna know prices on this whole situation

spara
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by spara »

Personal opinion: Reloading is a better option than a frankenstein gun.

wooglin
Been around awhile

Post by wooglin »

What you really need is a new gun.

highdesert
Carpal Tunnel

Post by highdesert »

New house, "honey do" list, work, family...a lot to juggle. You're a better man than I if you can get down to two calibers, I can't get lower that four calibers. A 9mm barrel is an option.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

eelj
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by eelj »

So what does your brand new reloading set up consist of?

shinzen
Site Admin

Post by shinzen »

It sounds like you can still shoot 38 with no issues after the conversion, so why not just send in your cylinder and spare the expense of a second cylinder?
https://www.tkcustom.com/services/machining
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

max129
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by max129 »

I like it that my Ruger Blackhawk has both a .357 Cylinder and a 9mm Cylinder. I have shot the 9mm Cylinder with decent results.

I looked on bulkammo.com. From what I can see, the cheapest bulk 9mm is about $0.10 per round cheaper than the same ammo in .38 spl. I have not looked at the S&W shop prices, but I would guess you cannot get what you want for less than $300. So the break even is roughly 3,000 rounds of shooting. I am not a heavy shooter - usually only one trip to the range per week. Ignoring .22 lr, I shot about 15,000 rounds of ammunition last year (mostly 9mm).

Of course, reloading is not free. If you don't cast your own bullets, the cheapest I see are Lead SWC at about $0.08 each and small pistol primers at $0.03 each. Add in some powder and other supplies and I think a reloaded .38 sql is in the $0.15 per round range.

Yes, you get better ammo, but the thread seems to be about cost.

senorgrand
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by senorgrand »

I love the IDEA of reloading...I've rolled a couple thousand of my own. The problem is, I have no time. So that leaves me store bought.

Now, we have additional issues in CA that in essence encourages us to "hoard" ammo. It is much easier the hoard two cheap rounds than adding a third more expensive round.

max129
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by max129 »

senorgrand said:

... in essence encourages us to "hoard" ammo.
I personally need no encouragement. I seem to have been born with the ammo hoarding gene. The funny thing is that it seems to apply nowhere else in my life.

kronkmusic
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by kronkmusic »

max129 wrote:
senorgrand said:

I personally need no encouragement. I seem to have been born with the ammo hoarding gene. The funny thing is that it seems to apply nowhere else in my life.
I'm just like you man, I'm the first guy to throw stuff away that I haven't used in over a year, my wardrobe is small but sufficient, and I hoard literally nothing but ammo. No matter how much I try to stop myself, it's hard to resist hitting "add to cart" when a good deal on 9mm w/free shipping pops up. It doesn't go bad and in the long run it's probably never gonna get any cheaper than it is right now, so I justify it as an investment. Starting to hoard JHPs as well as there have been some good deals on Federal HSTs and Tactical Bonded recently.

DamnYankee
Been around awhile

Post by DamnYankee »

max129 wrote:
senorgrand said:

Me too. I wonder if Marie Kondo has a technique specific to ammo or guns for that matter...

senorgrand
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by senorgrand »

Clearly the simplest solution to hording is more range trips...

highdesert
Carpal Tunnel

Post by highdesert »

senorgrand wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 12:50 pm
I love the IDEA of reloading...I've rolled a couple thousand of my own. The problem is, I have no time. So that leaves me store bought.

Now, we have additional issues in CA that in essence encourages us to "hoard" ammo. It is much easier the hoard two cheap rounds than adding a third more expensive round.
Thanks for the reminder, I've got to hoard more ammo. "Ammogeddon" as one gun store puts it, hits in 31 days. Think I'll pick it up out of state, cheaper.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Bisbee
Carpal Tunnel

Post by Bisbee »

Be careful... It’s suspected that Girard Damien Saenz was trying to pare down his gun collection using the Marie Kondo method when his neighbor peered over the fence.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Wino
Loquacious

Post by Wino »

"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw."
"The greatest threat facing the United States is its own president." David Rothkopf, WaPo

Bisbee
Carpal Tunnel

Post by Bisbee »

Wow, Wino unearthed a good’un!
1BFFABE7-073C-470E-B300-7FB615E38EB7.png
Overview

The 7-shot Taurus Multi-Caliber 692 revolver is designed for reliable everyday carry with its 3-inch barrel, and also offers a range-friendly option in the 6-1/2-inch model. Both size variations offer the ability to change the caliber from 38 Special +P/357 Magnum, to 9mm Luger with a simple swap of the cylinder. This DA/SA revolver features a seven round capacity, making it an ideal companion for personal and home defense as well as simply shooting more rounds at the range. The 692 revolver has adjustable rear sights, spurred hammer and Taurus' Ribber Grip® that aids in accuracy. The ported barrel manages recoil for quicker target re-acquisition. Stellar clips are provided with each revolver.
A new model apparently. Sounds like a fun gun if sold cheap enough. Their “J-frame” 9mm was not much fun to shoot. But no J-frames great at the range.

These will likely rely on moon-clips.