Re: Glock Improvements

Zapatistas!

I don’t know why I am so accurate with a Glock 17. There is no aesthetic reason I like Glocks. I just hit things with it. A Canik TP9-SF actually has a better trigger out of the box. Another nice plinker.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Something just rubs me the wrong way when people talk about spending $200 for an improved trigger on what is essentially a $400 (LEO discount) weapon. The trigger sucks, and accuracy is bad enough that it's not a lot of fun to shoot at the range. With that said I carry a Model 17 because it's reliable as a hammer, and with a Blackhawk SERPA holster I feel that the thing is safe and secure and ready to go to work if I have to push the button and pull it from the holster.

JohnNewell wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:16 am Something just rubs me the wrong way when people talk about spending $200 for an improved trigger on what is essentially a $400 (LEO discount) weapon. The trigger sucks, and accuracy is bad enough that it's not a lot of fun to shoot at the range. With that said I carry a Model 17 because it's reliable as a hammer, and with a Blackhawk SERPA holster I feel that the thing is safe and secure and ready to go to work if I have to push the button and pull it from the holster.
That's what I've heard consistently from Glock owners. And it's lighter weight than other polymers which is a plus. Gaston's Wonder is popular.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Meh. Accuracy is fine when you've got enough rounds down the pipe with it. Trigger is terrible, but it's also a striker fired semi, so it is what it is. My p320 is massively better, but with 10k plus rounds through the Glock, the only failures I've ever had were due to bad ammo. It's a good hammer.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

shinzen wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:57 am Meh. Accuracy is fine when you've got enough rounds down the pipe with it. Trigger is terrible, but it's also a striker fired semi, so it is what it is. My p320 is massively better, but with 10k plus rounds through the Glock, the only failures I've ever had were due to bad ammo. It's a good hammer.

Relatively cheap. Reliable. The holster makes for a nice, safe and secure system. And like you said, with 17 or so rounds that makes up for less than stellar accuracy, especially if it's needed at close range. I do think that I'd pass on attempting any precision head shots however.

Glock Improvements

As for Glock improvements, I have gone with...tritium sights. I cut my teeth on a third generation Glock 17, and while later experience with other pistols (Sig P220, 1911, Smith & Wesson M&P, CZ-75 SP-01 Tactical, etc.) taught me that the Glock is a bit lacking in ergonomics, I can still shoot accurately with it. Furthermore, it is mechanically simple, and due to its ubiquity, I will always be able to find parts and magazines. My Glock 19 has been my primary carry gun for the better part of a decade, and it will continue in this role. I did toy with the idea getting of a CZ-75 P01 for concealed carry, but I already have a Crossbreed holster, tritium sights, and additional magazines invested in the Glock 19. Not to mention that the Glock will be a bit lighter and easier to replace if it sits in a police evidence locker in the event of being used in a defensive shooting (hopefully I will never be in such a situation).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"I have been saying for some time now that America only has one party - the property party. It's the party of big corporations, the party of money. It has two right-wings; one is Democrat and the other is Republican."
-Gore Vidal

Yeah, in my limited experience all modern pistols are more precise than the shooter.

Perhaps it's more accurate to say that Glocks are harder to shoot accurately, due to the creepy trigger and light weight. There's more chance for the point of aim to shift, between the moment you pull the trigger and the moment the bullet leaves the muzzle. An all-steel 1911 weighs one more pound and has a crisp trigger, so it helps you stay on target.

Put it differently, it takes more skill to be accurate with a Glock.
Glad that federal government is boring again.

Other than Mepro night sights as the OEM sights are....lacking, my Gen 4 Glock 19 is bone stock, trigger, mag release...warts and all.

I will say it’s a bit challenging at times to actuate the minimalist stock slide release/lock-back on a 90+ degree day with sweaty hands....but, eh. That’s what gloves are for.

It’s like complaining a Toyota Corolla is a painfully boring and uninspired drive. It does a thing and does it well and reliably for an affordable price.
LGC Texas - Vice President

A friend recommended I replace the stock triggers on my gen 3 glocks (22,23,26) with the “Ghost trigger” product, but I never did. I enjoy shooting them but feel like there is an adjustment period, especially if I shoot a 1911 right before. Something about the angle of the grip on the glock makes me want to shoot high.

Did some trigger mods on my g35. Reset is now very short. Crisp break at 2.5 pounds with very little travel. Not a good sd/hd but a great range gun. Huge difference over stock trigger group.
Btw I sling shot my slide vs using the release.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

I forgot that I also had an Apex safety plunger and trigger linkage. I installed them both tonight and trigger is much more like a long double-action pull. I kind of like it in terms of dry firing. I would recommend these even over a trigger upgrade, as it is cheaper and doesn't change the trigger weight.

Need to take it to the range now.

And I finally took the time to load my Week of Freedom Fun Sticks. Oompaloompa for the win! :)

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

dkonrai wrote:Haha freedom week! Fun sticks and drums o my!

I wonder if anyone has been able to put together a final number on how many mags were sold to California residents that week, I think the initial estimates were easily over a million.

And surprise surprise, Californians did not immediately start gunning each other down in the streets en masse.

kronkmusic wrote:
dkonrai wrote:Haha freedom week! Fun sticks and drums o my!

I wonder if anyone has been able to put together a final number on how many mags were sold to California residents that week, I think the initial estimates were easily over a million.

And surprise surprise, Californians did not immediately start gunning each other down in the streets en masse.
Enough mags to clean out inventory almost nationwide. By mid week a lot were out of stock.

So I finally shot the thing.

First, I got bit twice. The thing is small.

Also, I put a grip extender on one magazine. I prefer the flat mag. If I curl my pinky at put it under the grip, I don't get slide bite.

Last, it shot 100 rounds, then jammed. I'm thinking it's the recoil rod, because it's jiggered itself before in dry fire excercises. Maybe dump the polymer for metal? I could not get it to go back into battery. I didn't fiddle with it at the range, because takedown is a bear and it's small...I'm sure I would have swept everyone trying to fix it at the range.

Oh, trigger is ok and it hits were I point it . Very utilitarian and not very fun to shoot IMHO.

I'd rather shoot my 9mm carbine. I put 300 rounds through her today. She needs a sling though so I can steady her for long range steel.

Morro bay was awesome...calfire did a controlled burn, so the range is black now.

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."