Home Defense Gun Suggestions

Since I'm waiting for my FOID card to get approved (takes around 30 days), and I'm bored at work, thought I'd get some opinions on my first handgun.

Since I don't have a FOID yet, my options for shooting at a range are limited to attending basic pistol classes, which I did recently but obviously don't want to pay and sit through more courses just to try guns before I get my FOID.

I'm looking for a home defense gun, and I managed to shoot a Glock 23 which I was really accurate on and I enjoyed the trigger. HOWEVER, the grip handle just doesn't fit me, my right pinky kept getting pinched between the magazine and the bottom of the grip. Definetly not something I'd want to buy.

Now when i get my FOID, I'm going to visit the range again and try guns similar to the Glock 23 but with grip that doesn't pinch. I'd also prefer 9MM.

So basically, I'm looking for sugguestions on 9MM guns that I'd like given how I felt about the G23. Just want to get a list going so I can call around and see which rentals ranges have available.

For what it's worth, I also liked the Springfield 1911 Operator. Just not sure if I want to rock the .45acp. But maybe if I fire more I'd change my mind. Not sure where people stand on 9mm vs .45acp for home defense.

Re: Home Defense Gun Suggestions

9 mm is fine for home defense, just use a quality manufacture hollow point. My preference is .223/5.56 in a rifle, less over penetration, more umpf, easier to aim a rifle, etc.

I don't like Glocks either. I have a S&W M&P9 that works every time, same basic operations as the Glock. The new generation is supposed to have a much nicer trigger but it is forbidden fruit in California so I'll never know.

I'll discourage a 1911 based on potential operational problems and limited magazine capacity. Fine range gun, but wouldn't be my top choice for home defense (full disclosure--I've never shot one, let alone owned one).

On the DA/SA front, the CZ SP-01 and slightly smaller CZ P-01 are top recommendation around here. I'll shoot my new SP-01 for the first time this weekend and let you know if I recommend it or not. :)

Most rifles are banned by both my County and City governments. So I haven't even looked at the options that are even available.

I do have the S&W M&P9 on my list of guns to try, since I've read a bit about it.

I forgot I did read about the upkeep of the 1911s

Let me know about your new gun. Though I do feel more comfortable shooting striker fired or DA only guns.

DMac wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:42 pm Though I do feel more comfortable shooting striker fired or DA only guns.
Fair point. Stikers are stupid simple.

In the rifle realm, is the Mini 14 available to you? It's often left off the ban list since it says "ranch" in the title and can be had with a wood stock, so clearly not "assulty" even though it performs just like an AR15. California even finds it acceptable. They are very reliable, very easy to handle and work just fine for home defense.

If you like striker fired pistols and don’t mind poly, try a Springfield XDM. I have one in 9mm (19+1 rounds!) and had one on .45 ACP. Reliable, accurate, easy to shoot well, easy to take down. All in all, a great pistol.

If you don’t like poly guns, try any of the CZ 75 variants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

featureless wrote:
DMac wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:42 pm Though I do feel more comfortable shooting striker fired or DA only guns.
Fair point. Stikers are stupid simple.

In the rifle realm, is the Mini 14 available to you? It's often left off the ban list since it says "ranch" in the title and can be had with a wood stock, so clearly not "assulty" even though it performs just like an AR15. California even finds it acceptable. They are very reliable, very easy to handle and work just fine for home defense.
The Mini 14 is explicitly banned. It's considered an assault weapon
Last edited by DMac on Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bucolic wrote:If you like striker fired pistols and don’t mind poly, try a Springfield XDM. I have one in 9mm (19+1 rounds!) and had one on .45 ACP. Reliable, accurate, easy to shoot well, easy to take down. All in all, a great pistol.

If you don’t like poly guns, try any of the CZ 75 variants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't think I have a problem with poly guns. I'd have to try some and see. I'll add the XDM to my list. What do people not like about poly guns?

Thanks

CZ 75 +1

I am sure this will garner some flames, but I have tried more than a dozen 1911 .45 ACP models. I have failure to feed on every one of them, some much worse than others. Jut look for YouTube videos about how to "tune" 1911 Magazines :-)

I have put 200 rounds through a rental CZ 75 and 500 rounds through my own CZ 75 with zero FTF.

I really trust my CZ 75 (I have a Compact) - nice steel gun.

Never looked at any CZ guns. I'll look at the 75.

Quickly reading over my city ordinance, pretty much every rifle that isn't a bolt or lever action is considered an assault weapon and is banned. Didn't realize it was that strict. Sure I'm missing something, but it's a pretty comprehensive semiautomatic rifle ban

DMac said:

Quickly reading over my city ordinance, pretty much every rifle that isn't a bolt or lever action is considered an assault weapon and is banned. Didn't realize it was that strict. Sure I'm missing something, but it's a pretty comprehensive semiautomatic rifle ban
Yes, at the "City" level we are going to see more and more of this. I recently moved from Las Vegas. In the past, the State Legislature had prohibited City specific firearm regulation, but Nevada went purple and the new Legislators are pushing to revoke the rules limiting City level regulations. Many people predict that Las Vegas will soon restrict many types of firearms and much of in-City concealed carry.

max129 wrote:
DMac said:

Yes, at the "City" level we are going to see more and more of this. I recently moved from Las Vegas. In the past, the State Legislature had prohibited City specific firearm regulation, but Nevada went purple and the new Legislators are pushing to revoke the rules limiting City level regulations. Many people predict that Las Vegas will soon restrict many types of firearms and much of in-City concealed carry.
I'm dealing with it at both the County and City level.

So 61% of all homicides in Chicago are gang related, but let's make sure citizens can't have scary guns.

Guess I need to be a gangbanger to own a rifle

Luckily my state got rid of the city's magazine limitations. And SCOTUS overturned the handgun ban Chicago artfully tried to implement

I like the idea of 3 "LEGOS" striker-fired pistols:
1) Ruger American (But I think they have had some problems.)
2) Beretta APX--they made this when the US Army wanted a modular hand gun to replace the 92s
3) Sig Sauer P320--which the Army picked. I have the Compact RX (integrated Romeo 1 red dot). For the price of a grip module and longer mag, it becomes a Carry. The sub-compact conversion kit was on sale so I got that, which comes with a shorter slide assembly, a shorter mag, and small size grip module. I have a medium grip module for it (which has a rail). So it's 3 different guns without having to get a new purchase permit. Grip modules come in black, grey, dark green (rarely) and now white. Of course, with Sig, what you want is likely out of stock. You can also convert it to Full size, and .40 and .357 Sig (not .357 magnum).
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

I still own one P320. It goes bang every time and the trigger is excellent.

It is easily as reliable as the CZ 75, but is a polymer gun - and has NO SAFETY. (You can now get one with a Safety).

I am not a fan of guns lying around in Condition 0. This is my biggest motivation to divest myself of polymer pistols (or trade them in for ones with a Safety).

YankeeTarheel wrote:I like the idea of 3 "LEGOS" striker-fired pistols:
1) Ruger American (But I think they have had some problems.)
2) Beretta APX--they made this when the US Army wanted a modular hand gun to replace the 92s
3) Sig Sauer P320--which the Army picked. I have the Compact RX (integrated Romeo 1 red dot). For the price of a grip module and longer mag, it becomes a Carry. The sub-compact conversion kit was on sale so I got that, which comes with a shorter slide assembly, a shorter mag, and small size grip module. I have a medium grip module for it (which has a rail). So it's 3 different guns without having to get a new purchase permit. Grip modules come in black, grey, dark green (rarely) and now white. Of course, with Sig, what you want is likely out of stock. You can also convert it to Full size, and .40 and .357 Sig (not .357 magnum).
The Ruger SR9 pricing is really reasonable. Will look into it.

Is Sig known for manufacturing low quantities?

I, too, am a reluctant member. But I also have a VP9 and a Ruger 1771 (last time out I couldn't shoot the H-K for shit for quite, but the revolver worked really well right off the bat).
I don't have any firearm that I'm sorry to own and wish I didn't. And the Sig is only one of them.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

The pinky pinching issue is with gen 5 Glocks, so try a gen 4 Glock 19. It's not the prettiest gun in the world, but it will work every time. If you're considering concealed carry at all, nobody has created a lighter and more compact 4" barrel 15 round 9mm pistol.
Glad that federal government is boring again.

I certainly do love my /Glocks but cannot handle carrying them - Glock Leg is a real thing. All my carry/SD pistols are DA/SA or DAO. Have a look at Beretta's Px4 Storm - 3 sizes, decocker/safety, high capacity, very, very safe and great ergonomics.

Voodoo
Tyrants disarm the people they intend to oppress.

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

Sig 320 is my favorite these days as well- leaps and bounds above any other striker gun on the market. That said, not sure which state you hail from, but you may also be limited by what they allow- here in CA I had to jump through a bunch of hoops and paid a serious premium in order to get one. YMMV. Go shoot as many rentals as you can. Don't buy the first time out- go for a second time and try the ones you liked again.

Glocks are reliable bricks. I have one, and will probably never get rid of it since it just works. But now that I've got the P320, I may reconsider.

The XD's are probably my second favorite for striker ergos.

For home defense, much as I love my CZ, I'd skip anything with a manual safety or decocker. As a new gun owner, anything that makes the gun more complex to operate is a risk. With the former, getting a click instead of a bang, with the latter the long initial trigger pull will throw off your shot without a lot of practice.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou