Re: Ruger Security 9

Looks nice, close in dimensions to the Ruger SR9c that was released in 2010. It's lighter than the 9c with a more modern design. We won't get the Security 9 in CA unless there is a major court decision. Also reminds me a bit of the Remington R51, but that's a 7 shot and the Ruger is a 10 shot.

https://ruger.com/products/security9/sp ... /3818.html
https://ruger.com/products/srSeries/spe ... /3317.html
https://www.remington.com/handguns/remington-r51
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

If I didn't have my current pistol/carbine setup, I would certainly get a Security 9 and a PCC. The prices are really good, and I haven't heard anything bad about them.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

K9s wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:28 pm If I didn't have my current pistol/carbine setup, I would certainly get a Security 9 and a PCC. The prices are really good, and I haven't heard anything bad about them.
I haven't heard anything bad about them either. I love my LC9s, but it is small and I can't get a "full" grip on it. Besides it only has a 7rd mag. I need to get my hands on a Security 9 and compare the two guns. I'm tempted. :)

Just curious... what attracts you to it? I hear good things about the SIG P320 and a lot of other poly striker fire guns. Glock lovers love their Glocks, I hear.

The price and the PCC compatibility are what I like about the Ruger.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

K9s wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:57 am Just curious... what attracts you to it? I hear good things about the SIG P320 and a lot of other poly striker fire guns. Glock lovers love their Glocks, I hear.

The price and the PCC compatibility are what I like about the Ruger.
You mentioned one, price. I also like the better grip with the mag extension, plus it's 10rds. Course I'm talking about the compact model. So far I haven't actually handled one, just seen reviews on Yutube.

I know this will not be a popular suggestion, but I have had the inexpensive Taurus PT-111 for years. Loved it so much, I bought a second one (under $200). It uses P226 mags, so it can technically be paired with my wonderful Sub 2000. I have a comparable size (heavier) SIG P224 and (lower cap) S&W Shield, but love the Taurus for a lot of reasons. I think it is now called the G2C? Maybe look at that, too?

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

K9s wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:14 pm I know this will not be a popular suggestion, but I have had the inexpensive Taurus PT-111 for years. Loved it so much, I bought a second one (under $200). It uses P226 mags, so it can technically be paired with my wonderful Sub 2000. I have a comparable size (heavier) SIG P224 and (lower cap) S&W Shield, but love the Taurus for a lot of reasons. I think it is now called the G2C? Maybe look at that, too?
I have looked at the Taurus G2c. I'm an old Taurus fan. When I was on active duty as a law enforcement officer for the Port of Houston, I carried a Taurus 92 for years.

The advantage of the Ruger is that it uses the same mags with the PCC. I don't know anything about the compact version, though.

Of course, this is a gun forum. If you cannot decide between two guns, you need to get them both. Obviously. :lol:

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

The suggestion by K9s is not as unpopular as he thinks. As I said I'm an old Taurus fan and his comments made me go back and look at the G2C again. After watching a handful of evaluations of this gun on You Tube, I decided to head to the gun shop and look at it myself. I liked the gun and the feel of the grip. The price as good too ($229.00). Sooo, I bought it. When I'm feeling a bit better I'll take it to the range and give you guys my opinion, but from what I've seen and read I think I'm going to like it just fine. Thanks K9s for suggesting it.

I would buy two if i had the cash on had. Not because the mag work with the PCC, my Ruger AP mags work with the PCC too. But so far as reliable, inexpensive, 9mm that can be backed into a go bag or some such I think the value can't be beat.
Never smile too big, the gods may mistake it for hubris.

SpaceRanger42 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:02 pm I would buy two if i had the cash on had. Not because the mag work with the PCC, my Ruger AP mags work with the PCC too. But so far as reliable, inexpensive, 9mm that can be backed into a go bag or some such I think the value can't be beat.
Yes, there is something to be said for an inexpensive, reliable handgun that you don't mind scratching up. I tend to carry my revolvers and Taurus pistols more often for that reason, I guess.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

K9s, you are not wrong. I have been thinking about getting a wheel gun that morphs from .357 to 9mm but the only one I know of off the top of my head is the Ruger Blackhawk, which I love but is a bit on the large side for concealed carry.

SpaceRanger42 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:30 pm K9s, you are not wrong. I have been thinking about getting a wheel gun that morphs from .357 to 9mm but the only one I know of off the top of my head is the Ruger Blackhawk, which I love but is a bit on the large side for concealed carry.
Of course, it could be because I have so many revolvers and Taurus pistols, too. :lol:

I don't see any downside to getting that Ruger Blackhawk. Sounds like a fun gun!

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

I am still not certain how I feel about the switcharoo cylinders. I mean it works or they wouldn't sell it right? I may have to revisit Fortunecookie45LC's video on YT. He did a pretty good job of breaking down why it works despite the dif in diameter of the slugs.

I haven’t shot the Security 9, but I fondled and dry-fired it and thought it seemed pretty good for the price. Fit my fairly large hands OK. If you just want an inexpensive utility pistol, seems likely to satisfy.
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.