Ruger or Smith?

Reviews and discussion of handguns.

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

eelj
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: Ruger or Smith?

Post by eelj »

Great choice, it was what I was thinking all along but you sounded most interested in a 44mag DA. I would like to see a picture of that and I hope you have a good one.

If a person has no need for an urban carry piece it could easily be an "only" handgun.

FrontSight
Loquacious

Post by FrontSight »

Redhawk is a boat anchor; S&W all the way.
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

Rickoshay
Been around awhile

Post by Rickoshay »

It has arrived. Usual stiff loading gate and hammer. Love the grips. Hopefully the range try out tomorrow. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fortuna Peratus Renumerat

It is unsustainable for people to maintain a constant state of panic for four years, unless they are willing to panic as a hobby.- Josh Barro

senorgrand
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by senorgrand »

nice! :)

Grand Poobah and Bass Player for the Conspiracy of Weenies.

wooglin
Been around awhile

Post by wooglin »

Want to shoot a bisley. Wonder how it differs from a plowhandle.

FrontSight
Loquacious

Post by FrontSight »

Rickoshay wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:31 pm
It has arrived. Usual stiff loading gate and hammer. Love the grips. Hopefully the range try out tomorrow. Image

You chose OH SO WELL. First the cartridge. I like the Special better than the magnum, mostly because I personally don't have any "need" for a full magnum .44. If you want a big bore, but dont necessarily need a magnum, It's really hard to beat the EXACT REVOLVER YOU PICKED!!! A .44 Special Ruger Bisley is just a fantastic revolver.

What you'll find is Ruger has perfected their art with this one. Cylinder alignment tends to be better than at any time in the past. Forcing cones, which used to be WAY oversized are now a perfect .001-.003" over the bore diameter. When you couple the cylinder alignment and the forcing cone sizing, what you end up with is a near perfect recipe for an accurate revolver; and they are very accurate.

Like you said, loading gates are typically stiff, action is stiff, and trigger while not bad, it's quite great either. These can be cleaned up in the future if you decide to further invest in your revolver.

I don't buy many guns that are still in production today, but that is one I find myself stalking on Ruger's website.
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

TrueTexan
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by TrueTexan »

Nice gun
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
The illegal we do immediately; the unconstitutional takes a little longer-Kissinger
Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired.-Swift

eelj
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by eelj »

An article by Ross Seyfreid about your new revolver.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/ross ... revolvers/ I remember reading an interview with Elmer Keith before he died about what he thought of

the scramble to turn the magnums into super magnums, he felt that all a person needed for a good hunting handgun was a 250 gr bullet (of his design of course) at 1200 fps, just what he got from his number 5 revolver in 44 spec.

YankeeTarheel
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by YankeeTarheel »

Looks like Ruger has introduced a new revolver to compete with the S&W 9mm 929 Performance pistol. Like the S&W the 5056 is 9mm, 8 rounds, and there's a big window in front of the cylinder (This has gotten a lot of criticism from Ruger haters, never noticing that S&W has exactly the same damn thing). It's got cooling vents and is stainless. The few who've shot it, rather than simply complained that they think it's ugly, say it's an incredibly good shooter. Also has an MSRP, and street price about $200 or so more than the 929.
""If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you." -- LBJ

K9s
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by K9s »

Nice!
The border between civilization and savagery is porous and patrolled by opportunists. Resist fascism. Vote like your democracy depends on it.

CDFingers
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by CDFingers »

Oh, yeah--what they all said. Well chosen to the max.

CDFingers
ImageImage
Turn on channel six, the President comes on the news,
Says, "I get no satisfaction, that's why I sing the blues."

tonguengroover
Been around awhile

Post by tonguengroover »

What a beautiful classic. Looks like a 5 1/2 in barrel. If I was going to carry it I'd get the 4 5/8.
Buy the ticket; take the ride

Rickoshay
Been around awhile

Post by Rickoshay »

It shoots well. I tried 4 different power levels of Unique working up to Skeeter Skeltons favorite. Just like my Super Blackhawk, it shot all of them well. Recoil is much more manageable with the Bisley grip. Going to be a lot of fun shooting this gun. Image

It is unsustainable for people to maintain a constant state of panic for four years, unless they are willing to panic as a hobby.- Josh Barro

wooglin
Been around awhile

Post by wooglin »

Rickoshay wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:34 pm
Recoil is much more manageable with the Bisley grip.
How so? More straight back rather than rolling?

Marlene
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by Marlene »

Excellent gun! I really like the smaller frame rugers

eelj
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by eelj »

What bullet for your reload? I have a mold that closely approximates the Lyman Keith mold and it really likes 5 grs of red dot more than any unique loading out of my Smith 624.

Rickoshay
Been around awhile

Post by Rickoshay »

eelj wrote:What bullet for your reload? I have a mold that closely approximates the Lyman Keith mold and it really likes 5 grs of red dot more than any unique loading out of my Smith 624.
Missouri Bullet Co. 240 gr LSWC. Bevel base. With 6.0 is the load pictured. Always wanted to try that square based Keith.

Rickoshay
Been around awhile

Post by Rickoshay »

wooglin wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:17 pm
Rickoshay wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:34 pm
Recoil is much more manageable with the Bisley grip.
How so? More straight back rather than rolling?
Definitely more straight back.