Re: Ruger or Smith?

Great choice, it was what I was thinking all along but you sounded most interested in a 44mag DA. I would like to see a picture of that and I hope you have a good one.

If a person has no need for an urban carry piece it could easily be an "only" handgun.

Rickoshay wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:31 pm It has arrived. Usual stiff loading gate and hammer. Love the grips. Hopefully the range try out tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You chose OH SO WELL. First the cartridge. I like the Special better than the magnum, mostly because I personally don't have any "need" for a full magnum .44. If you want a big bore, but dont necessarily need a magnum, It's really hard to beat the EXACT REVOLVER YOU PICKED!!! A .44 Special Ruger Bisley is just a fantastic revolver.

What you'll find is Ruger has perfected their art with this one. Cylinder alignment tends to be better than at any time in the past. Forcing cones, which used to be WAY oversized are now a perfect .001-.003" over the bore diameter. When you couple the cylinder alignment and the forcing cone sizing, what you end up with is a near perfect recipe for an accurate revolver; and they are very accurate.

Like you said, loading gates are typically stiff, action is stiff, and trigger while not bad, it's quite great either. These can be cleaned up in the future if you decide to further invest in your revolver.

I don't buy many guns that are still in production today, but that is one I find myself stalking on Ruger's website.
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

Looks like Ruger has introduced a new revolver to compete with the S&W 9mm 929 Performance pistol. Like the S&W the 5056 is 9mm, 8 rounds, and there's a big window in front of the cylinder (This has gotten a lot of criticism from Ruger haters, never noticing that S&W has exactly the same damn thing). It's got cooling vents and is stainless. The few who've shot it, rather than simply complained that they think it's ugly, say it's an incredibly good shooter. Also has an MSRP, and street price about $200 or so more than the 929.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

It shoots well. I tried 4 different power levels of Unique working up to Skeeter Skeltons favorite. Just like my Super Blackhawk, it shot all of them well. Recoil is much more manageable with the Bisley grip. Going to be a lot of fun shooting this gun.

Fortuna Peratus Renumerat

Liberal Condescension or Conservative Paranoia; A hell of a way to run a democracy.

eelj wrote:What bullet for your reload? I have a mold that closely approximates the Lyman Keith mold and it really likes 5 grs of red dot more than any unique loading out of my Smith 624.
Missouri Bullet Co. 240 gr LSWC. Bevel base. With 6.0 is the load pictured. Always wanted to try that square based Keith.

Fortuna Peratus Renumerat

Liberal Condescension or Conservative Paranoia; A hell of a way to run a democracy.