Light reading!

Reviews and discussion of handguns.

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

tonguengroover
Been around awhile

Re: Light reading!

Post by tonguengroover »

In the winter I used to carry my Blackhawk .357 in a shoulder holster. Summer, under a sports jacket. But it has a 6 inch barrel and slow to get on target. But when I do I can hit what ever threat is coming at me. It's a great way to carry because its more comfortable.
Then I switched to my SR9c. I like the number of rounds I can carry. It's a safe auto as well.

But when I am going into a dicey area I carry a back up. Practice using a back up, it's faster than reloading any gun. My back up is my Ruger LCP .380. Plus an extra mag for it.
Buy the ticket; take the ride

Bisbee
Carpal Tunnel

Post by Bisbee »

Yeah, as I get on in age and accept certain limitations of body and mind, I’ve come to accept that many of my previous beliefs were simply fantasy unproven by experience and (in fact) proven false by my own or reading mother people’s experiences. Stressed shooting situations were one of those. Watching videos of how police officers flub up close quarter shootings (7 yards or less) of moving targets made a strong impression. Then the first time I took the standard law enforcement officer shooting qualification test which included the elements of time limits and mag changes I realized how much small added stresses affects my breathing, accuracy, and general hand-eye coordination. Yes, I agree that anything could be trained in and out of your system. But even police officers lose their shooting skills if they don’t hit the range at least once a month (for combat exercises, not target practice). That that’s just the reality of my shooting limitations I’ve begun to accept.

Empty the small EDC and throw the gun at the assailant as I turn and run. That’s pretty much what I’m capable of. A revolver does that plenty well without worrying about stove-pipes and FTF’s.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

featureless
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by featureless »

I don't believe typical LEO is a good benchmark as many don't train beyond bare minimum.

Chances are, we'll never need it. Carry want you please, but practice. I need to do just that.

AndyH
Banned

Post by AndyH »

eelj wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:29 pm
Jim Cirillo who survived 17 shoot outs as a NY cop would handle fast reloading by grabbing a second revolver out of his pocket, if that wasn't enough he had a PPK in 32 in an ankle holster.

I don't think even modern day cops much less the average person on the streets will ever find themselves in such a situation.
Cirillo's book is a good read. He was also from the mandatory revolver duty gun days, if I recall, and the best he could do was carry a duty revolver and a NY reload. The military had those days too, but even the AF stopped issuing revolvers in 1992. My G19 and a spare mag is 15+1+15. I guess that's a duty revolver and 4 NY reloads...ish?

tonguengroover
Been around awhile

Post by tonguengroover »

eelj wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:29 pm
Jim Cirillo who survived 17 shoot outs as a NY cop would handle fast reloading by grabbing a second revolver out of his pocket, if that wasn't enough he had a PPK in 32 in an ankle holster.

I don't think even modern day cops much less the average person on the streets will ever find themselves in such a situation.
Until you need one due to a FTE/FTF or what ever.

Ayoob: 13 Cases That Show Why You Should Carry a Backup Gun
https://www.personaldefenseworld.com/20 ... gun-saves/

bajajoaquin
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by bajajoaquin »

Okay, but really none of those described daily carry situations for non-law enforcement. Every case was a cop or a security guard, or people having guns in high risk retail establishments.

AndyH
Banned

Post by AndyH »

bajajoaquin wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:51 pm
Okay, but really none of those described daily carry situations for non-law enforcement. Every case was a cop or a security guard, or people having guns in high risk retail establishments.
The one where two guys came in to rob the place, and one of the clerks had to go to multiple revolvers and keep looking for more firepower didn't get your attention?

bajajoaquin
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by bajajoaquin »

No, because I’m not a clerk in a store. Or owning/working in a jewelry store, or a Rolex repair shop. I didn’t see anything there convincing me that I needed to carry a gun, much less an auto with 10+ round capacity, or a backup gun. Maybe those things are necessary for daily carry, but none of those stories supported that assertion.

AndyH
Banned

Post by AndyH »

bajajoaquin wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:24 pm
No, because I’m not a clerk in a store. Or owning/working in a jewelry store, or a Rolex repair shop. I didn’t see anything there convincing me that I needed to carry a gun, much less an auto with 10+ round capacity, or a backup gun. Maybe those things are necessary for daily carry, but none of those stories supported that assertion.
Do you pay attention to the news at all? Or maybe read the 'guns in the news' section of this forum? Might want to at least skim the sub here.

One doesn't 'need' more than 2 rounds as long as they will only be attacked by a single assailant and they can place those two rounds perfectly to stop the threat.

Three robbers shot by homeowner
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=54512
Three of four armed robbers shot by pizza driver
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=55952
Three burglers shot by homeowner
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=55595

That took less than 15 seconds.

The point, BTW, wasn't about whether one ran a shop - it was about the topic of revolvers and how 5 or 6 shots wasn't enough.

bajajoaquin
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by bajajoaquin »

I do pay attention to the news. I do read the sections here.

Do you read the links you put up? It says 13 reasons you should carry a backup gun. Except for law enforcement, which is not really the focus of a “carry” discussion around revolvers outside LEO, there’s nothing in any of the blurbs about actually carrying.

And I said so. That seems to have offended you, and I’m sorry for that.

AndyH
Banned

Post by AndyH »

bajajoaquin wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:02 am
I do pay attention to the news. I do read the sections here.

Do you read the links you put up? It says 13 reasons you should carry a backup gun. Except for law enforcement, which is not really the focus of a “carry” discussion around revolvers outside LEO, there’s nothing in any of the blurbs about actually carrying.

And I said so. That seems to have offended you, and I’m sorry for that.
I didn't put up the "13 reasons..." piece. No offense meant or taken, baja. I don't know if you carry - maybe you don't. That's ok. I do, and have invested in training past the carry permit. Not a boast, just putting it on the table. I agree with you that the back-up gun piece from Ayoob was about back-up guns! But there's plenty there for folks that don't work in a shop or that aren't LEOs. As I noted from a couple of reports posted here, while the average defensive use of force is from 1-5 yards and 1-2 shots are fired, that's a report from the math department. The real world is messier and sometimes the threat comes in sets of 2 or 4. If that happens, we'll need more than 5 rounds. That's all I'm trying to point out.

tonguengroover
Been around awhile

Post by tonguengroover »

Hiker's method. Watch Jesse Pinkman's left hand. One of the best.

El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie - Badass Jesse Pinkman's Shootout Scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQB-WhDS7s0

wooglin
Been around awhile

Post by wooglin »

Seems like I’ve read all this somewhere before. Many times.

beto
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by beto »

AS far as defensive weapons, whatever turns you on. I have had bad experiences with semi's . My left hand has problems so to charge the gun I need to transfer it to my left hand and use the right. While shooting semi's I have had more than a few stove pipes. When I carry it is a revolver, I prefer 357. If you are willing to invest in a hundred rounds (maybe less) of ammo you can become competent with a snub nose. After that you have a ready to use defense. 5 or 6 rounds beats rocks and clubs, The key to any carry weapon is practice.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" Ben Franklin
Beto in wisconsin