Re: Beto O'Rourke 2020

DispositionMatrix wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:51 am https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1107 ... 94720?s=19
Beto O'Rourke: "If you own an AR-15, keep it. Continue to use it responsibly and safely. I just don't think that we need to sell anymore weapons of war into this public." https://t.co/uqMA1jWOTf
In other words: "We aren't going to take away your rights, we're just going to take away your children's rights."
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

I think the WH is still waiting for the Dems to turn on each other. I hope they don't. Even though Beto shouldn't be in this race, he can help spread the word to his base of supporters. Many moving targets. It worked for the Rs in 2016, in a way.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

K9s wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:40 pm I think the WH is still waiting for the Dems to turn on each other. I hope they don't. Even though Beto shouldn't be in this race, he can help spread the word to his base of supporters. Many moving targets. It worked for the Rs in 2016, in a way.
He’s going to spread discord, nothing else.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

sikacz wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:43 pm He’s going to spread discord, nothing else.
Oh, give him credit where it's due. He's so good at spreading manure that he could easily get a job on a farm.
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

O'Rourke will never get a vote from me. If, so some accursed reason the ballot is O'Rourke vs. Cheeto, I will vote for a third party.

Bang wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:43 pm O'Rourke will never get a vote from me. If, so some accursed reason the ballot is O'Rourke vs. Cheeto, I will vote for a third party.
Then you might as well vote for Putin's shit-stain, because you're doing it anyway.

The house is on fire. You can't be picky about the water you use to put it out.

I just don't see why the young, inexperience White guy, whose only real advantage is he's from a border district and has no known policy plans, is sucking all the air out of the room. The press is chasing Beto around the way they chased the shit-stain around 4 years ago. Maybe if they hadn't give the stain so much free advertising, he wouldn't be in the Oval Office. Frankly, I just don't see how Beto O'Rourke can win, except maybe as a figurehead.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:50 pm
Bang wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:43 pm O'Rourke will never get a vote from me. If, so some accursed reason the ballot is O'Rourke vs. Cheeto, I will vote for a third party.
Then you might as well vote for Putin's shit-stain, because you're doing it anyway.

I just don't see why the young, inexperience White guy, whose only real advantage is he's from a border district and has no known policy plans, is sucking all the air out of the room. The press is chasing Beto around the way they chased the shit-stain around 4 years ago. Maybe if they hadn't give the stain so much free advertising, he wouldn't be in the Oval Office. Frankly, I just don't see how Beto O'Rourke can win, except maybe as a figurehead.
Let’s not start with the if you don’t vote for a democrat you’re voting for a republican BS. This is The Liberal Gun Club and not the Democratic Gun Club. There is nothing liberal about that type of position.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Maybe him and Harris can middle-of-the-road-corporate-democrat-giving-a-little-lip-service-to-leftist-ideas each other to death.

Marlene wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:05 pm Maybe him and Harris can middle-of-the-road-corporate-democrat-giving-a-little-lip-service-to-leftist-ideas each other to death.
Pretty much ^^this^^
You preferring to play now, Marlene? Or is saying “Beto” like waving an irresistible red cape? :evilmad:

sikacz wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:59 pm
YankeeTarheel wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:50 pm

Let’s not start with the if you don’t vote for a democrat you’re voting for a republican BS. This is The Liberal Gun Club and not the Democratic Gun Club. There is nothing liberal about that type of position.
So I'm not entitled to my opinions and views unless they are approved by you? I don't think so!
If you want a fall-in-line, never-deviate-from-the-approved-stated-doctrine forum I don't think this is it. T.M. will correct me if I'm wrong about that.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Oh look! It's this argument again.

This is going to be a regular occurence for the next couple of years, I encourage everyone to get over it now. I'm not a fan of the "with us or against us" idea myself, but YT is entitled to his opinion. So are sikacz and marlene. Let's all just try to smile at each other while wielding our flamethrowers, and at least avoid being nasty.
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

Eris wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:32 pm Oh look! It's this argument again.

This is going to be a regular occurence for the next couple of years, I encourage everyone to get over it now. I'm not a fan of the "with us or against us" idea myself, but YT is entitled to his opinion. So are sikacz and marlene. Let's all just try to smile at each other while wielding our flamethrowers, and at least avoid being nasty.
Was there anything in my comment that said YT was not entitled to his opinion? Did I imply he needed to ask for my opinion? I don’t think so, yet his comments are not rebuked. His comments smacks of intolerance and insinuates I demanded such. My comment was the direct opposite. I suggested that demanding we fall in line and vote for whoever democrat is not liberal and this is not a club affiliated with the democratic party. I don’t care who he votes for, I don’t care to see anyone demand we should vote for a particular candidate or if we don’t we support the current WH resident. That is being a bully.

“Karl Popper first described it in 1945—expressing the seemingly paradoxical idea that, "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance."”

I wasn't really trying to rebuke anybody, it's just that this is an old argument that tends to make people feel insulted. I was just trying to head things off at the pass before they got out of control.
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

I assume Bang is in Utah where DJT won with 45%? In that case, a vote for the third party allowed DJT to skate by.

Any legitimate Republican would get 60+% (e.g. Romney). That is a bright red state with little hope of turning blue in the near future. I think it is probably no big deal to be picky in solid red or blue states. Some swing states become more reliably red (Ohio) or blue (Colorado). Some previously solid states might flip in 2020.

Your decisions might have consequences. Remember to pay attention to state and local races to make the biggest difference.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

I think I'm gonna try preferring to play for a second. I reserve the right to step in and out several times a week.

I think there's a time for conversations about voting booth pragmatism, and that time is not more than a year before the election.

I also think crybaby "principled stands" against a particular candidate "no matter what, ever" are a right we absolutely have, but a luxury I certainly cannot afford.

I'll hold my nose and vote for the less-bad choice because the difference is still a difference, but I'll not pretend shit don't stink.

K9s wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:17 pm I assume Bang is in Utah where DJT won with 45%? In that case, a vote for the third party allowed DJT to skate by.

Any legitimate Republican would get 60+% (e.g. Romney). That is a bright red state with little hope of turning blue in the near future. I think it is probably no big deal to be picky in solid red or blue states. Some swing states become more reliably red (Ohio) or blue (Colorado). Some previously solid states might flip in 2020.

Your decisions might have consequences. Remember to pay attention to state and local races to make the biggest difference.
Too bad the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact is still well short of the 270 EVs it needs to go into effect. it would make every vote in every state count, which means Republicans will fight it tooth and nail and try to get it declared UnConstitutional (It's not. States get to allot EVs however they choose). Since the GOP has only won the people's vote once in the last 30 years, and not in 15 years (2004), they HATE the idea!
Because they don't believe in Democracy, a Democratic Republic, only power. Notice how state legislatures and governorships have moved more blue, they've "forgotten" their advocacy for repealing the 17th Amendment, which guarantees that Senators are elected by the people and not the legislature.

I gotta say.... Beto rushed from Vegas back to El Paso immediately. I think he really cares about that district. I doubt it was a publicity stunt. Even if it was, it was sorely needed.

Ted Cruz? John Cornyn? Not a peep.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

K9s wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:20 pm I gotta say.... Beto rushed from Vegas back to El Paso immediately. I think he really cares about that district. I doubt it was a publicity stunt. Even if it was, it was sorely needed.

Which is why Beto would get a HELL of a lot more support running for Cornyn's Senate seat than the White House, especially if there's a national ticket that gives hope to all the People of Color in Texas who usually figure "same old, same old".

YankeeTarheel wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:25 pm
K9s wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:20 pm I gotta say.... Beto rushed from Vegas back to El Paso immediately. I think he really cares about that district. I doubt it was a publicity stunt. Even if it was, it was sorely needed.

Which is why Beto would get a HELL of a lot more support running for Cornyn's Senate seat than the White House, especially if there's a national ticket that gives hope to all the People of Color in Texas who usually figure "same old, same old".
Agreed. Beto didn't look so much "Presidential" as he looked like he represents the people of Texas.

If I didn't like MJ Hegar so much, I would say Beto should run for Senate. It is a long way to Nov 2020, so we'll see how it goes.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

DispositionMatrix wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:01 am
His wife and family were in El Paso when the shooting happened. It is his town, so he freaked out a bit, I guess, and headed to El Paso. I probably would have, too.

Beto O'Rourke reacts to the news of a mass shooting in his hometown of El Paso, Texas from a campaign event in Las Vegas. He describes calling his wife to ensure his families safety, and tells the crowd that "there is no luxury in sitting this one out."

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

I have no ax to grind with Beto. But he is no where near my first choice for POTUS 2020.
Last edited by max129 on Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

max129 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:43 pm I have to ax to grind with Beto. But he is no where near my first choice for POTUS 2020.
Not my first choice, either. I trust him more than Trump or Pence, though. I could be wrong, but would be willing to gamble that he would be, at worst, a corporate Dem.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

The Houston Chronicle editorial board has called on Democratic presidential candidate Beto O’Rourke to pull out of the 2020 race, return to Texas and run for senator.
Our thinking this week, amid all the carnage and grief and finger-pointing, has been in part on Beto O’Rourke, the presidential candidate from El Paso, where 22 people were killed last Saturday. Our sympathy is devoted to the dead and their families, of course — but Beto has been on our minds, too.

We keep coming back to a moment last Sunday when, for a few seconds, all the pretenses that are part of running for president in our age of constant exposure were peeled back, if only briefly.

There are times, it seems, in most presidential campaigns when the facades get stripped away like so many layers of paint. What’s left is a human moment, usually fleeting, and not always flattering. But real — and often more telling than a season of advertisements.

Hillary Clinton tearing up in New Hampshire in the winter of 2008. Ronald Reagan’s humor during a 1984 debate when, asked if he wasn’t too old to serve four more years, he replied that he had no plans to use his opponent’s youth and inexperience against him. Even Walter Mondale laughed with the audience.

Something like that happened last Sunday with O’Rourke, when a news reporter asked O’Rourke whether he felt there was anything President Trump could do to cool the atmosphere of hate toward immigrants.

“Um, what do you think?” O’Rourke responded bluntly. “You know the s*** he’s been saying. He’s been calling Mexican immigrants rapists and criminals. I don’t know. … Like, members of the press -- what the f***? It’s these questions that you know the answers to …”

Is that language presidential? Not normally. It certainly isn’t the normal fare for an editorial page in the Sunday paper, either, with or without the asterisks. But it struck us as so unscripted, so unexpected that its offense was somehow washed away.

The Atlantic called it the “art of giving a damn” in a piece last week about anger washing over the Democratic candidates.

O’Rourke has had these moments before. Last year, he was asked if he supported Colin Kaepernick, the NFL quarterback whose protests by kneeling during the national anthem sparked a nationwide conversation. Instead of giving a safe, wishy-washy answer, he gave a heartfelt yes: “I can think of nothing more American than to peacefully stand up or take a knee for your rights, any time, anywhere, in any place.”

It went viral, the way his answer last Sunday did. We aren’t used to seeing candidates act like real people.

Frankly, it’s made us wish O’Rourke would shift gears, and rather than unpause his presidential campaign, we’d like to see him take a new direction.

So Beto, if you’re listening: Come home. Drop out of the race for president and come back to Texas to run for senator. The chances of winning the race you’re in now are vanishingly small. And Texas needs you.
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/opinio ... 294396.php

I could support this more than his futile attempt to run for president.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

I think it would work, but it seems a little unfair to MJ and her supporters.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt