Re: Pete Buttigieg 2020

YankeeTarheel wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:54 am
DispositionMatrix wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:08 pm
YankeeTarheel wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:32 pm I keep saying the Freshman people should be paying attention to is Katie Porter from Ca 45. She won a long-time Republican seat, is not as flashy as AOC, but isn't a frightened mouse, afraid of losing her seat. She's very, very smart, and outspoken, and I have yet to see her put her foot in her mouth unlike some of the more covered ones like AOC and Omar.
https://katieporter.com/issues
Common Sense Gun Reform
I will never accept a dime from the gun lobby and I will work to pass commonsense laws to keep our schools and communities safe. I support a ban on assault weapons, mandatory background checks on all gun sales, and a healthcare system that provides comprehensive mental health treatment.
Every Dem has to say that now, just like every GOPer has to be "Pro-Life".
Then every Dem and GOPer can have other people's votes. God forbid a candidate stake out a position demonstrative of being able to think independently rather than goose stepping through talking points.
YankeeTarheel wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:54 amThe alternative to Dems is...Trump and his thugs, goons, apologists, criminals, and traitors.
In short: We can have Katie Porters...or Michelle Bachmanns--choose wisely!
Choosing wisely would be the antithesis of selecting either.
YankeeTarheel wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:54 amWe have an "Assault Weapons Ban" in NJ, but that doesn't mean you can't own an AR-15, AR-10, or AK semi-auto. I see them at the ranges all the time. It all depends on how they define "Assault Weapon". We all know it's bullshit--a carpenter's hammer can be an "Assault Weapon"...but, that's the wiggle-room.
Even in a free state I am already subject to enough arbitrary restrictions. So I'll pass on deluding myself into thinking a federal AWB modeled after New Jersey's would be no big deal. More importantly, a candidate willing to stomp on a right has proven she/he is willing to stomp on a right. I will leave supporting authoritarians to their bootlickers.

DispositionMatrix wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:40 amGod forbid a candidate stake out a position demonstrative of being able to think independently rather than goose stepping through talking points.
No shit! When did we (collective voters) become so excited about restricting the rights of others that such became a tenet of campaigns?

Buttigieg: Assault-Rifle Ban ‘Should Be On the Table’
South Bend, Ind. mayor and Democratic 2020 presidential contender Pete Buttigieg expressed support Wednesday for a federal ban on what he called “weapons of war.”

“As somebody who is very familiar from my military training with weapons of war, somebody who carried a rifle and a pistol around a foreign land on order of the president, ...there are some weapons that just don’t belong in our neighborhoods in peace time in America,” he said during a campaign rally in Des Moines, Iowa. “We’ve already decided that this is within the Second Amendment because we’ve decided that somewhere in between a slingshot and a nuclear weapon, we can draw a line. And that’s not unconstitutional, it’s common sense.”
Right from the Democratic Party/firearm prohibition lobby talking points:
  • "weapons of war"
  • not unconstitutional
  • "common sense"
Plus an appeal to authority as a bonus.
“And that’s why I think assault rifles need to be on the table too,” he concluded, referring to a potential assault-weapon ban.
Since "assault rifles" are automatic intermediate-round carbines already rigidly controlled under the NFA of 1934 in concert with the Hughes Amendment to FOPA (1986) Buttigieg's poor wording does not bode well for his appeal to authority argument.

Again, polls show that 41% to 43% of households in the US have guns (Gallup and Pew) and if firearms are a major issue for those voters, the Democratic Party is automatically writing off a large chunk of the electorate. Many of those voters are in red or purple states that Dems need to win the Electoral College. In the Pew data, 30% of adults own a firearm and another 36% "could see owning a gun in the future".
https://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2017/06 ... ownership/
https://www.statista.com/statistics/249 ... a-firearm/
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Dems sure know how to shoot themselves in the foot. Why the fuck does this need to be a central part of their platform? Do they really think Dems won't vote for them if they have a solid policy position on healthcare, education, environment but don't include some kind of gun ban?

I just always assumed Mayor Pete was raising money and awareness to run for IN Governor. I hope he does.

I also believe (no proof) that the zillion candidates strategy is to (1) find a good candidate, (2) raise money, and (3) challenge Rs in every state and district. Dems have a better message, Rs always have more (sleazy) money, so Dems need to play spread offense against them again (like 2018).
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

featureless wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:20 pm Dems sure know how to shoot themselves in the foot. Why the fuck does this need to be a central part of their platform? Do they really think Dems won't vote for them if they have a solid policy position on healthcare, education, environment but don't include some kind of gun ban?
Yes and the purity enforcers are likely out to make sure presidential candidates tow the line. The way Perez and the DNC are going this could turn out like George McGovern's run in 1972 or Walter Mondale's run in 1984 or Michael Dukakis' run in 1988, disasters in terms of not understanding the electorate. Agree, health care, education and the environment are popular issues and polls have proven it. And how many donors are pumping money into the DNC on the firearms issue and there is no reason why Republican donors wouldn't be giving to the DNC to make sure the party implodes.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:55 pm
featureless wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:20 pm Dems sure know how to shoot themselves in the foot. Why the fuck does this need to be a central part of their platform? Do they really think Dems won't vote for them if they have a solid policy position on healthcare, education, environment but don't include some kind of gun ban?
Yes and the purity enforcers are likely out to make sure presidential candidates tow the line. The way Perez and the DNC are going this could turn out like George McGovern's run in 1972 or Walter Mondale's run in 1984 or Michael Dukakis' run in 1988, disasters in terms of not understanding the electorate. Agree, health care, education and the environment are popular issues and polls have proven it. And how many donors are pumping money into the DNC on the firearms issue and there is no reason why Republican donors wouldn't be giving to the DNC to make sure the party implodes.
I thought DJT would destroy the GOP. Little did I know that so many people really liked Trump/Pence/Klan.

Who says Bernie and the DSA won't do the same thing and hijack the DNC? I would be cool with that. It would make more sense.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

DispositionMatrix wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:40 am
YankeeTarheel wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:54 am
DispositionMatrix wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:08 pm
YankeeTarheel wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:32 pm I keep saying the Freshman people should be paying attention to is Katie Porter from Ca 45. She won a long-time Republican seat, is not as flashy as AOC, but isn't a frightened mouse, afraid of losing her seat. She's very, very smart, and outspoken, and I have yet to see her put her foot in her mouth unlike some of the more covered ones like AOC and Omar.
https://katieporter.com/issues
Common Sense Gun Reform
I will never accept a dime from the gun lobby and I will work to pass commonsense laws to keep our schools and communities safe. I support a ban on assault weapons, mandatory background checks on all gun sales, and a healthcare system that provides comprehensive mental health treatment.
Every Dem has to say that now, just like every GOPer has to be "Pro-Life".
Then every Dem and GOPer can have other people's votes. God forbid a candidate stake out a position demonstrative of being able to think independently rather than goose stepping through talking points.
YankeeTarheel wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:54 amThe alternative to Dems is...Trump and his thugs, goons, apologists, criminals, and traitors.
In short: We can have Katie Porters...or Michelle Bachmanns--choose wisely!
Choosing wisely would be the antithesis of selecting either.
YankeeTarheel wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:54 amWe have an "Assault Weapons Ban" in NJ, but that doesn't mean you can't own an AR-15, AR-10, or AK semi-auto. I see them at the ranges all the time. It all depends on how they define "Assault Weapon". We all know it's bullshit--a carpenter's hammer can be an "Assault Weapon"...but, that's the wiggle-room.
Even in a free state I am already subject to enough arbitrary restrictions. So I'll pass on deluding myself into thinking a federal AWB modeled after New Jersey's would be no big deal. More importantly, a candidate willing to stomp on a right has proven she/he is willing to stomp on a right. I will leave supporting authoritarians to their bootlickers.
Yeah, well we are currently watching the Constitution be shredded by Barr, Trump, S.H.Sanders, Republicans in the House and Senate, and Fux Noise, and even in an op-ed in the NYTimes. We have clear, hard evidence of multiple crimes by THIS President including his false election, all sorts of capital crimes by his cronies and families and what's going to be the result? The "Justice" Dept is going to go after EVERYONE who investigated Trump. He's out to burn down every aspect of the rule of law in this nation AND IS DOING IT AS WE POST! It's no longer what he's going to do...he's doing it AND GETTING AWAY WITH IT!

The only thing standing between us and Putin's Russia are the people who, ironically, want to ban "assault weapons".

I say again: Choose wisely.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

I choose to train those who are interested in basic marksmanship and how to navigate the legal ramifications of a defensive shooting. Voting for DA's, Cops, Mayors, and our Betters hoping they will both do better as POTUS than they are locally as well as break with the direction that this country has been going my whole damned life (I was born shortly before Watergate, for reference) is a waste of time.

And every single dues paying member here is part of the 'gun lobby', like it or not.
In a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich the chicken and cow are involved while the pig is committed.

California Democrats, especially those with ties to the influential LGBTQ and Hollywood communities, are finding themselves torn between a home-state senator they love, Kamala Harris, and an out-of-state suitor who has suddenly captured their attention, Pete Buttigieg. It’s a dynamic that’s unsettling the Democratic presidential primary in California — home to an early 2020 March contest that offers a mother lode of nearly 500 delegates. No two candidates are crowding each other quite so closely here, or elbowing each other quite so aggressively, in the pursuit of some of the party’s most generous and influential donors.

Buttigieg, the mayor of South Bend, Ind., isn’t viewed as a direct threat to Harris. But his rapid rise, appeal to millennial voters and newfound popularity among Hollywood and Silicon Valley donors stands to hinder her ability to lock down her backyard. And it could enable the 37-year-old mayor to net a solid cache of delegates from Harris’ home state — perhaps even more than he can capture in early-voting states like Nevada or Iowa. Democratic strategist Garry South says the growing buzz about Buttigieg’s success in wedging his way into California’s lucrative fundraising base has shocked many longtime politics watchers in the state. “I think the amazing thing is that nobody is ceding California to Kamala Harris ... no one is abandoning California to the native daughter — which tells you something,’’ he says. “Why would he come out here and spend four days if he thought she had California locked up?“

Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti, who presides over one of the country’s most lucrative Democratic fundraising ATMs, hasn’t yet endorsed in the crowded 2020 presidential race. He freely admits experiencing some angst over the situation. “I love Kamala Harris, she’s a dear friend,’’ he says of the former state attorney general, who has scheduled a dizzying round of fundraisers in the state next week. But, Garcetti notes, Buttigieg “is one of my closest mayor friends.” Garcetti will appear at a Thursday event with Buttigieg that will bring together union activists from the teachers, carpenters and SEIU — all bastions of Democratic support in California. Buttigieg is also scheduled to attend packed fundraisers hosted by some of the city’s LGBTQ and Hollywood royalty during his upcoming visit to the state this week.

“We have a lot of people who are very candidate curious,’’ Garcetti notes. “Kamala has a ton of love up and down the state, but people might say, ‘That doesn’t mean I’m not going to shop around…Maybe I’ll keep her as my senator and go with somebody else as president.’” Buttigieg’s team says the mayor — who is making his fifth trip to the Golden State this week — plans to “play hard” in California, where he’s appearing in aggressive round of fundraisers this week, including sold-out, $25-a-head grassroots fundraisers in both San Francisco and Los Angeles. State party insiders say Buttigieg’s community events and low-dollar fundraisers, designed to give average voters a chance to meet him, dramatize a longtime critique of Harris from some quarters of the party — that she has tended to favor events crowded with deep-pocketed donors in tony bastions like San Francisco’s Nob Hill and Hollywood over town halls or low-dollar events.

“I think Kamala Harris is in danger of losing ground to a number of people [in her home state],” says veteran L.A. politics watcher and attorney Jessica Levinson, the former president of the Los Angeles Ethics Commission. “Mayor Pete is the flavor of the month, he’s really excited people, particularly in the LGBT community,’’ she says, though “[Harris] actually has more specific policies than he does.” Buttigieg’s May fundraising schedule includes four fundraising events alone Thursday in the L.A. area, including at the home of Gwyneth Paltrow and her husband Brad Falchuk. Co-hosts include actor Bradley Whitford and John Gile, who has been in LGBT leadership on the Democratic National Committee and served on the Obama and Clinton presidential campaigns. “He does interest me, because he’s so multi-faceted,’’ says Melissa Rivers — the former star of the cult favorite show “Fashion Police” and Donald Trump’s “The Apprentice” with her mother, the late Joan Rivers — of Buttigieg.

A Joe Biden supporter, Rivers notes that many of her Hollywood friends who have long expected to back Harris are feeling torn these days over their growing attraction to the newcomer mayor. “It’s going to be very hard. If you don’t like that he’s gay, you’ll like that he’s a military guy,’’ says Rivers, who says she’s been deluged with fundraising invites. “If you don’t like that he’s a military guy, you’re going to like that he’s a mayor. It backs people into a corner because there’s nothing to attack him on.’’ Nowhere has the competition between Harris and Buttigieg been more startling than in emails to major donors from Susie Tompkins Buell, one of the party’s most influential donors and a longtime friend and backer of Hillary Rodham Clinton. Buell was front and center in February in Oakland, announcing her endorsement for Harris when the senator rolled out her campaign before 22,000 adoring fans.

But Buttigieg subsequently caught Tompkins’ eye — and to the surprise of many, the powerhouse San Francisco donor sent out emails announcing her intention to hold a fundraiser for him and inviting supporters to attend his other fundraisers as well. “He adds a rich, deep, thoughtful and resonant voice to the conversation and it’s evident that the country is responding to him. He is a special guy and formidable candidate,’’ she wrote in an April email to friends. While Tompkins Buell has noted that she and husband Mark Buell are still backing Harris, she said of Buttigieg that “we believe he needs to be part of the presidential field,’’ and provided the email of her political assistant Joey Castenada as a Buttigieg contact. Tompkins Buell has since sent out emails urging key Bay Area Democrats to hear Buttigieg “share his vision” at three May 10 fundraisers in San Francisco.

At the same time, Tompkins Buell has urged her circle of Democratic activists to attend three fundraisers on May 9 and 10 for Harris in San Francisco, saying that “the rest of the nation is beginning to discover what we’ve always known: Kamala is dedicated to public service and continues to do her best for the people.” Campaign fundraising records show Harris has far eclipsed Buttigieg in raising money from Californians, hauling in more than $4 million compared to roughly $522,000 for the Indiana mayor during the first quarter of 2019, a period in which candidates were rolling out campaigns and introducing themselves to voters. Still, dozens of Californians hedged their bets and gave to both candidates. Among the double-dippers were television writer-producers Michael Schur and Marlene King, Facebook executive Naomi Gleit and Playboy scion Cooper Hefner.

Rick Zbur, executive director of Equality California — one of the nation’s leading LGBTQ advocacy groups — says that while Harris has long amassed legions of admirers in the gay and lesbian community, Buttigieg has awed those who never believed they would see a married gay man as a major presidential candidate in their lifetimes. “It’s incredibly inspiring,’’ he told POLITICO in an interview, recalling being at a gathering with friends watching Buttigieg’s public comments. “And when he talked about his faith, and the challenges and struggles of coming out...there were literally people who had tears in their eyes, because it was so authentic.’’ Asked if many California Democrats are torn in their loyalties, Zbur said, “I think people are excited that we actually have two candidates — one of whom has been among our strongest allies as an elected official anywhere in the country, and who would be shattering multiple glass ceilings on her own. And so many members of our community see themselves in her.’’

Stephanie Schriock, president of EMILY’s List, who hosted a recent fundraising event that drew crowds of Hollywood women, says Harris may be able to count on some those powerful entertainment industry women to back up her candidacy, given her California contacts and roots. “The name recognition in California, you’ve got the early primary, you’ve got an interesting situation here,’’ Schriock said. “But those Iowa caucuses still mean the world in this process. So they’re all going to have to roll up their sleeves.’’
https://www.politico.com/story/2019/05/ ... rs-1313119

Democrats and Republicans all come to CA to eat the the money trough.

I am personally resigned to the fact that the next Democratic Presidential candidate will have made at least some gun control statements. While I would be rather miffed if the main Democratic candidate was a serious anti-2A person, I would probably vote for them out of a desire to preserve the remainder of the republic.

Short of "more executive orders", the real long term fate of the 2A seems to reside in tow areas: US Congress and State Legislation.

All group associations come with some (serious) trade offs. In the case of the group we call "left of center" there is the unpleasant cop-out on the 2A.

Since this is the "Pete B" thread, I will confess that his campaign is the only donation (small) I have made this political go round. I am not hard committed to Pete, but he seems a rational human being.

max129 wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 10:10 am I am personally resigned to the fact that the next Democratic Presidential candidate will have made at least some gun control statements. While I would be rather miffed if the main Democratic candidate was a serious anti-2A person, I would probably vote for them out of a desire to preserve the remainder of the republic.

Short of "more executive orders", the real long term fate of the 2A seems to reside in tow areas: US Congress and State Legislation.

All group associations come with some (serious) trade offs. In the case of the group we call "left of center" there is the unpleasant cop-out on the 2A.

Since this is the "Pete B" thread, I will confess that his campaign is the only donation (small) I have made this political go round. I am not hard committed to Pete, but he seems a rational human being.
If a Democrat wins in 2020 it's because they won some red or purple states and will want to win them again four years later. Though the anti-gunners on the left of the party will push gun control issues, I don't see the new president pushing it as a major agenda. That the Dem nominee/new president will make statements about gun control, I agree it's very likely. Buttigieg's campaign has grown legs, he's running in the top five in the polls. He's an appealing candidate, but highly unlikely he'll be the nominee. Hey I'd go to one of his meet and greet events for $25.00.
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epoll ... -6730.html

highdesert said:

[Pete]'s an appealing candidate, but highly unlikely he'll be the nominee.
I basically agree. Pete has even less experience than Obama did. But in other ways, he fits the Democratic winning mold quite well.

The reason I donated a small amount to Pete is that I am not super happy with -any- of the other choices. I can get there; and I WILL vote in the next election.

Clinton was "unlikely". So were Obama and Trump. By now we should not presume of anything, especially with such a talented politician as Buttigieg. And he is very talented, from what I can see in interviews.

I’m not in the Gravel camp, but I concur with what he has to say about Buttigieg (and some other things).
A pretty good explanation of why Buttigieg is just more of the same in a friendlier seeming package.
3A9CF6A1-3B77-4E44-BB26-4A8E2610F693.jpeg

Pete is no lefty, but calling him an imperialist just because he worked for McKinsey is like calling a veteran a supporter of the military industrial complex. He wasn't an executive or anything, just a consultant.

In any case he is still far, far better than the current office holder, and he's not going to appoint right wing judges to sit for the next three decades.
Glad that federal government is boring again.

Joe Darby, a prominent pastor in Charleston, S.C., was discussing the Democratic presidential field with fellow clergymen when Pete Buttigieg’s name came up. A fellow pastor quickly interjected. “Isn’t that the dude who kissed his husband on TV?” the person asked skeptically, according to Darby.

The exchange highlights a major obstacle for Buttigieg, who’s vaulted into the top tier of Democratic candidates without gaining traction among African Americans, according to recent surveys of national and South Carolina Democrats. But as the mayor of South Bend, Ind., devotes more effort to campaigning for black votes in the South and elsewhere, he will have to break down some resistance over his sexual orientation, particularly among older voters, according to interviews with more than a dozen African American activists, political strategists and clergy, as well as a review of public polling.

Buttigieg and his campaign are well aware of the issue. As he skips from sold-out fundraisers to overflowing rallies around the country, Buttigieg set aside time last week for a smaller gathering of black LGBTQ faith leaders and activists in Houston. Gathered around a glass coffee table, Buttigieg opened up to the group of a dozen about his record with African Americans as mayor in South Bend, Ind. — an area that has generated some criticism — as well as his agenda for black voters and his experience as an openly gay candidate for president, including the challenges he may face.

“He’s white, male and gay, all three of those things are going to create obstacles for various communities — specifically, I think, the white and the gay, for the black community, are definitely going to be obstacles for him,” said Harrison Guy, a Houston-based choreographer and LGBTQ activist who led the discussion with the mayor. “He’s very aware of that.” American views on LGBTQ rights and issues have moved rapidly in the last decade, and black support for bedrock issues like same-sex marriage has also jumped to a narrow majority in recent polling. But those numbers lag behind the nation: 61 percent of adults (and an even higher share of Democrats) backed same-sex marriage in a recent Pew Research Center poll, compared to 51 percent of African Americans.

“It’s an obstacle in the minds of some. And for others, it’s an opportunity,” said Antjuan Seawright, a Democratic strategist and a 5th-generation member of the African Methodist Episcopal Church. “He has opportunity to educate and take the temperature here and chart a pathway forward, because I suspect he will not be the last [openly gay] candidate” to run for president. Cornell Belcher, a Democratic pollster who worked on former President Barack Obama’s campaigns, compared Buttigieg’s campaign to other “first” candidates, including Obama’s history-making 2008 presidential run. “Are there implicit biases that women candidates have to face? Absolutely. Are there biases that a black candidate has to face? Is there implicit baggage that a gay candidate has to face? Absolutely,” Belcher said. “How you inoculate yourself from those biases goes back to how you define yourself and talk about yourself authentically.”

Some of that involves building relationships with individual African American activists and voters to break the ice, which the Buttigieg campaign did in their latest swing through South Carolina, setting up private meetings with black leaders. Buttigieg’s regular invocation of his marriage and his husband, Chasten, on the campaign trail — usually in the context of his Christianity, “putting his faith on his sleeve” — is also an “excellent way to inoculate himself from that implicit bias about the gay community,” Belcher said.

Often, Buttigieg has told crowds that if “you got a problem with who I am,” including Vice President Mike Pence, then “your problem is not with me – your quarrel, sir – is with my creator.” That story is part of what’s launched Buttigieg from a longshot, little-known mayor to a serious presidential contender who raked in more than $7 million in the first fundraising quarter.
Meanwhile, three-quarters of Democrats support same-sex marriage, according to a Pew Research Center poll. African American support has jumped to 51 percent, up from 39 percent in 2015. But as a group, black voters still lag compared to the party that gets most of their votes.

In particular, Democratic consultants emphasized that it could be a sticking point for older black voters. In 2017, 69 percent of African Americans aged 18 to 29 backed same-sex marriage, but just 40 percent of African Americans aged 65 and older did, according to a Public Religion Research Institute poll. “For older African-American voters, yes, it may be an issue, and with older clergy, it may also be an obstacle. That’s also true for older, white, working-class voters, too,” said one national Democratic strategist, granted anonymity to discuss the issue candidly. “Whether they tell a pollster that is an open question. Most people don’t like to admit that they have bias.”
Buttigieg, who recently lunched with Rev. Al Sharpton, has acknowledged the work his campaign must do to build relationships with black voters during a swing through South Carolina last week, where he spoke to largely white audiences, even in majority-minority cities.

In Orangeburg, S.C., Buttigieg told an audience that “one of the most important pieces of homework for our campaign is to make sure that there is no question in the minds of minority voters, black voters here in South Carolina or anywhere in the country, where I stand and what I will do,” he said.
https://www.politico.com/story/2019/05/ ... rs-1322396

Buttigeig's effort to be more restrictive than his opponents:
Buttigieg Joins Booker’s Call For Licensing Gun Owners
The fact that he’s following Sen. Cory Booker’s lead on guns, however, just might.
After months of mounting criticism for lacking policy specifics, Democratic presidential candidate Pete Buttigieg has finally fleshed out his position on 27 different issues with a new issues page on his website, divided among the three major themes of his campaign: democracy, security and freedom.

The South Bend, Indiana, mayor is staking out a new position in favor of creating a nationwide gun licensing system, or registry. This puts Buttigieg in line with Cory Booker’s proposal and among the most liberal positions on gun control in the Democratic race. Previously, Buttigieg had been criticized by gun control advocates for being too soft on guns or being wishy-washy.
Once all of the Democratic candidates have taken their turns, someone will have to up the ante on firearm prohibition.

HuckleberryFun wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 7:59 am I’m not in the Gravel camp, but I concur with what he has to say about Buttigieg (and some other things).
A pretty good explanation of why Buttigieg is just more of the same in a friendlier seeming package.
3A9CF6A1-3B77-4E44-BB26-4A8E2610F693.jpeg
I'm leaning more and more towards being the Gravel camp these days.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

As candidates scurry for support and donations to stay alive in the race, they often make bad policy decisions. Buttigieg is smart and articulate, but like Harris and Booker he's not looking at winning the Electoral College with this policy statement. If a Dem wins the WH in 2020 he could get a cabinet appointment.

I still see Mayor Pete as the best chance to flip Indiana by running for governor there. I hope he runs and wins there.

Pence was never that popular. The Pence abortion ban and other social issues could make it a battleground. I would love to see the RNC have to spend money to defend a state like that.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

South Bend Mayor and 2020 Democratic candidate Pete Buttigieg blasted Tucker Carlson and Laura Ingraham during his Fox News Town Hall on Sunday night, before receiving a standing ovation from the crowd after his closing statement.

Despite some Democrats calling for a boycott of the network over their legitimacy, the 37-year-old presidential hopeful answered questions from voters in Claremont, New Hampshire in an event moderated by Fox News host Chris Wallace.

Addressing the questions of bias that have plagued the media organization, Buttigieg called out two hosts in particular. “I get where that’s coming from especially when you see what goes on with some opinion hosts on this network,” he said. “I mean when you’ve got Tucker Carlson saying that immigrants make America dirty. When you’ve got Laura Ingraham comparing detention centers with children in cages to summer camps.”

“There is a reason why anybody has to swallow hard and think twice before participating in this media ecosystem,” he added.

Buttigieg defended his decision to appear on Fox News by arguing that while some of the network’s hosts aren’t operating in “good faith,” many of the viewers are watching “in good faith” and deserves to hear the Democratic agenda.
Buttigieg joins a few other Democratic candidates, including Sens. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) and Amy Klobuchar (D-Minn.), who have completed town halls moderated by the network. His event comes after Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) said she will refuse to hold such an event with a network “designed to turn us against each other” and to “provide cover for the corruption that’s rotting our government and hollowing out our middle class.”
https://www.newsweek.com/pete-buttigieg ... ng-1430051