Re: Experts warn of ‘sedition’ and ‘coup’ attempt as Michigan GOP leaders fly to DC to meet with Trump

Bisbee wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:57 pm
Donald Trump isn’t a dictator. He won office in a free and fair election and will leave it through the same democratic process.
I'm genuinely surprised that the Op-ed writer, Benjamin Carter Hett, would make such an inane statement (or that other editors didn't fix it before publishing). Is he unaware that Hitler also gained power through backroom dealings after a "free and fair election," promising voters strong action on a populist agenda based upon ultra-nationalism and the return to some fictionalized glory days of racial purity to appeal to base tribalism? Was his contrast between Trump and Hitler meant to be ironic or merely unwittingly so?

History is a thing.
Well, historians suffer from confirmation bias too. They desperately want western society to be the shining city on a hill. I had never heard of Hett. I liked the you tube video. That was why I posted the article.

Re: Experts warn of ‘sedition’ and ‘coup’ attempt as Michigan GOP leaders fly to DC to meet with Trump

All the drama on the left with "sedition" and "coup". Biden won the election, but MI is not critical for him. If MI state legislators don't abide by state law the courts step in. Biden's lead in MI is 154,000 votes, he can lose a few and still win.

Donnie just doesn't want Biden winning in 2020 by the same number of electoral votes as he did in 2016 - 306 electoral votes. Conspiracies on both sides, crazy.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:07 pm All the drama on the left with "sedition" and "coup". Biden won the election, but MI is not critical for him. If MI state legislators don't abide by state law the courts step in. Biden's lead in MI is 154,000 votes, he can lose a few and still win.

Donnie just doesn't want Biden winning in 2020 by the same number of electoral votes as he did in 2016 - 306 electoral votes. Conspiracies on both sides, crazy.
I would argue it is not enough to merely win. Politics are not just relevant once every four years, and life doesn't revolve around an election. Remember that ~74 million people actively affirmed that they want to continue with this cheeto stain of a president, which is greater than 10 million more than 2016. These people are still your neighbors, friends, family, local police officers, and government officials.

Win or lose, their messaging continues, chipping away opportunities for conversations. While they do not move as a singular bloc, the longer this draws out, the more of them are radicalized.

Yeah, politics isn't about winning. It's about action. Just ask Washington, Jefferson, Hamilton, Franklin, etc.

This is why the US went politically off the rails. Career politicians of the democratic and republican parties made it all about winning. That's why trump has such a following just by saying I'm not a career politician. Then just add in some russian propaganda about trump being a savvy businessman and you have a recipe for fascism.

I'm reminded of the European witch hunts and pogroms. How, in the face of crushing economic inequity and limited political power, ignorance and panic took hold. How gossip turned into conspiracy theory turned into mass hysteria. How religious identity was used to justify torture and murder.

I'm not sure social media is significantly different from pamphlets when it comes to spreading the seeds of hate. Still needs heaping piles of bullshit to provide fertile ground for it. In the absence of external enemies, we turn on each other.

wings wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:21 pm I'm reminded of the European witch hunts and pogroms. How, in the face of crushing economic inequity and limited political power, ignorance and panic took hold. How gossip turned into conspiracy theory turned into mass hysteria. How religious identity was used to justify torture and murder.

I'm not sure social media is significantly different from pamphlets when it comes to spreading the seeds of hate. Still needs heaping piles of bullshit to provide fertile ground for it. In the absence of external enemies, we turn on each other.
Yup.