Re: I just joined the 16 bore club!

I do have a shotgun - an Ithaca 37 in 16 gauge - I have some ammo for it (though 16 isn't the easiest to find) I just haven't gotten out to use it. I should take and pattern it when I take the SKS out to the range soon. I need to have some idea of how it shoots steel before duck season.

I'd really love to find an old hammer double gun as well and make brass bp someday too. One thing at a time, I guess.
Live like you will never die, love like you've never been hurt, dance
like no-one is watching.
Alex White

So, I had it out again today. I shot 2 1/2" 1oz 7 1/2s loaded by RST. That's right, smokeless!

http://www.rstshells.com/store/m/3-16-Gauge.aspx

RST loads smokeless short-chamber shells at low pressures specifically for old doubles. I have to admit I fired two before I wrapped my hands around the barrels while shooting. No troubles at all. I'm comfortable shooting these in this gun. Make your own decisions about your own guns.

Unlike my BP loads, these are made up with modern shot cup wads. I'm pretty sure that the heavy fiber wads in the BP loads are punching holes in the middle of my patterns. I couldn't quite decide where to hold to make consistent hits with the BP shells.

Night and day difference shooting these. I was powdering everything I shot even close to. I missed two shots of fifty and one of them was me chasing after someone else's miss like a smart ass. Maybe I don't suck at this after all.

Damn. you are getting your mitts on some nice pieces.

I am loving the thought of a huge cloud of smoke at the trap range.

For some tips on how to clean checking cool.conservation-us.org. It is a listserv for conservators of everything from paintings and sculpture to period antiques of all kinds.

here is a quick search for firearms

http://cool.conservation-us.org/byform/ ... 0j998002j3

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Bleeding Heart Liberal with Second Amendment Benefits.