Winchester Super X 00 Buck v NSI LE No.4 Buck

I was at the LGS today to buy some buck shot for home defense (read critter deterrence) and was wondering if 00 buck was all it was cracked up to be. So I had a box of Winchester Super X 00 at the house so decided to buy a box of this Italian law enforcement No. 4 buck. I think I got a bargain on it seeing as I paid $13 for 10 shells instead of 5. Plus 1 for price. Both are 2 3/4" shells but in actuality the LE is a tad longer than the Winchester, about as long as a 3". Here they are side by side.
005.JPG
006.JPG
You can see the specs for the LE on the box. Unfortunately the Winchester does not the the muzzle velocity on the box.
I shot 1 shell from both into paper at 10 yards with my Winchester Mod. 1912 with a 20" bbl and a cylinder choke. I'm impressed by the results. the first picture is of the 00 while the second is of the No.4.
00.jpg
Next Post...
All problems can be solved with a copious amount of high explosives.

Re: Winchester Super X 00 Buck v NSI LE No.4 Buck

No.4.jpg
After the testing, Both performed better than expected spread wise but there was a noticeable difference in recoil. The 00 Felt pretty good while the LE was much more noticeable. As far as the critters go, either or will work for around here assuming no hogs show up. When I accumulate some more funds, I'll do a penetration :laugh: test of drywall and insulation to see which one would be better for intruders of the 2-legged variety inside the home.
All problems can be solved with a copious amount of high explosives.

Re: Winchester Super X 00 Buck v NSI LE No.4 Buck

I'm a fan of more pellets as long as they are large enough to be effective. The only shotie I own is a 16ga, which suits me fine for recoil reasons and normally #1 buck is as big a load available. That's a 30 caliber ball. The other end of what I think is effective is about #2 shot, which is half the diameter but about 1/8 the volume.
When only cops have guns, it's called a police state.
I carry due to toxic masculinity.......just other people's.