Ammo for cylinder bore barrel

Since I plan on buying a mossberg 500 with a cylinder bore could you guys clarify for me the acceptable ammo I can use? I know I can use both buckshot and slugs - but I can only use rifled slugs, correct? Sabot slugs are to only be used in rifled barrels if I'm not mistaken. Am I correct?

Sent from my iPhone

Re: Ammo for cylinder bore barrel

The short answer: as long as it's the correct chambering for your shotgun, you can shoot anything you wish, including flechettes if that's just your thing.

The longer answer:

Birdshot will tend to spread pretty quickly. At 10 yards, you're looking at about a 12" spread with #7 or #8. With buckshot (e. g. 00 Buck), the pattern will be more like 6" at that distance. Remington Slugger rounds will shoot pretty accurately out to maybe 50 yards. Lee slugs (the ones you cast out of the mould) will do likewise. Saboted slugs will do the same thing, but you'll be pretty much wasting their accuracy and precision potential at such distances. Those are meant to be able to go 150 yards and be on-target.

A cylinder choke is what I typically see used on home-defense shotguns, or so-called "tactical" models. These generally have an 18" barrel.

If you want to shoot primarily slugs, then I'd definitely look into a fully rifled barrel. But a fully rifled barrel should be used only for slugs. If you try shooting shot through it, you'll get this really wide donut-effect after a short distance as the rifling spins the shot around. Doesn't hurt the shotgun any, but it is detrimental to getting shot pellets on-target.
"SF Liberal With A Gun + Free Software Advocate"
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/

Yes, 50 yards is a gimme for a slug from a smoothbore, if you do your part.

The stuff I've read says that Fed TruBall is the best slug ammo for your gun - the plastic ball squeezing up the backside of the skirt centers the slug and seals it uniformly.
http://www.federalpremium.com/products/ ... spx?id=395

One other thing: for what they're charging for a rifled barrel, I'd rather spend a bit more and have a second Mossy with the dedicated barrel. Then you can have the pleasure of firing off those copper sabot rounds that go for five bucks a pop!

Pfletch83 wrote:One of the good things that many don't tend to think about the cylinder bore barrels is that they provide a smoother launching platform for foster slugs because the rounds aren't damaged by a choke.

Which leads to consistent shooting.
Actually its just the opposite. rifled slugs are the same diameter as a full choke. Back in the 60's Ithaca's short barrel M37 "DeerSlayer" sold like hotcakes because they shot Foster slugs more accurately than any other shotgun. Guess how they were choked?

JoelB wrote:
Pfletch83 wrote:One of the good things that many don't tend to think about the cylinder bore barrels is that they provide a smoother launching platform for foster slugs because the rounds aren't damaged by a choke.

Which leads to consistent shooting.
Actually its just the opposite. rifled slugs are the same diameter as a full choke. Back in the 60's Ithaca's short barrel M37 "DeerSlayer" sold like hotcakes because they shot Foster slugs more accurately than any other shotgun. Guess how they were choked?
Not trying to argue with you. Just going from my own experience on the subject. I've seen Modified choked guns do well and I've seen data that supports foster slugs being used through Improved cylinder chokes to great effect. All of this is also dependent on the exact choke restriction and how the slug is sized. Which is why you'll often get different results from Winchester slugs through a shotgun that fires Remington sluggers better,ect.

What I would like to do is get a selection of every foster/Brenneke slug that is meant to be fired through both smooth-bore and rifled barrels and compare the projectiles themselves (actual projectile weight and diameter).

Many folks think that the reason a "Rifled" or foster slug has it's design is because the "rifling" marks on the projectile imparts spin on it. When actually it was designed to squeeze through the tighter chokes. My theory is that the thinner hollow base of the foster slug acts more like a modern Minnie' ball, in that the base expands somewhat due to the initial launch forces and the expanding gas which provides a better seal in an open choked shotgun barrel.The Nose heavy weight acts to stabilize the projectile (although in a rainbow like trajectory) down range.

I have a set of cylinder bored barrels for a Valmet shotgun of mine which I use for Skeet. "Cylinder" just means there is no constriction at the end. My personal experience is that "Rifled Slugs" need a little constriction to shoot their best, which is usually none too good.

In the early breech-loading era, there were some un-rifled black powder breech-loading long guns which had a choke in the bore, and it generally improved accuracy. Having a looser barrel at the muzzle end is guaranteed to make accuracy worse.

Here's a nice site on chokes in general: https://www.theyorkshiregent.com/shooti ... -patterns/