Steel shot alternative.

I keep going back and forth on a new A-5 or an old A-5. The old A-5 is winning( plus my Uncle might sell me my dad's old sweet sixteen) and wondered if anyone has used the lead shot replacements like Nice Shot.
The happiness of the bee and the dolphin is to exist. For man it is to know that and to wonder at it.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

Politics has become so expensive that it takes a lot of money even to be defeated.
Will Rogers

Re: Steel shot alternative.

I haven't tried bismuth shot, but at around 170.00 for 5 lbs i'm not sure I ever will!

If you only needed it for a few shots a year then that might not be a big factor. But out here in Cali non-lead shot is required in a lot of hunting areas and is scheduled for statewide use in a couple years.

:beer2: :beer2: :beer2: :beer2:
Bleeding Heart Liberal with Second Amendment Benefits.

drigeba wrote:I haven't tried bismuth shot, but at around 170.00 for 5 lbs i'm not sure I ever will!

If you only needed it for a few shots a year then that might not be a big factor. But out here in Cali non-lead shot is required in a lot of hunting areas and is scheduled for statewide use in a couple years.

:beer2: :beer2: :beer2: :beer2:
Yeah, I've noticed that. Thanks for the info.
The happiness of the bee and the dolphin is to exist. For man it is to know that and to wonder at it.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

Politics has become so expensive that it takes a lot of money even to be defeated.
Will Rogers

I recently was contemplating the same question since I was looking at older guns for a while.

Fortunately the gun I had in mind is ok for steel. It is an 1980's Remington. If it hadn't been ok, I was looking at getting a new gun so i didn't have to worry about the barrel.

There are a lot of beautiful old guns out there for cheap, in fact I saw a lovely A5 browning for $500.00 while i was looking. On the not cheap side a Citori 20 ga for $1800.00!! Great for the range, but.....

I am happy with the 1100 LT 20 for now but might be looking for an O/U in case one of my kids wants to hunt with me..

cheers,

:beer2: :beer2: :beer2: :beer2: :beer2: :beer2: :beer2: :beer2: :beer2:
Bleeding Heart Liberal with Second Amendment Benefits.

drigeba wrote:I recently was contemplating the same question since I was looking at older guns for a while.

Fortunately the gun I had in mind is ok for steel. It is an 1980's Remington. If it hadn't been ok, I was looking at getting a new gun so i didn't have to worry about the barrel.

There are a lot of beautiful old guns out there for cheap, in fact I saw a lovely A5 browning for $500.00 while i was looking. On the not cheap side a Citori 20 ga for $1800.00!! Great for the range, but.....

I am happy with the 1100 LT 20 for now but might be looking for an O/U in case one of my kids wants to hunt with me..

cheers,

:beer2: :beer2: :beer2: :beer2: :beer2: :beer2: :beer2: :beer2: :beer2:
Yeah, I'm getting an A5( Belgium not Japanese). I don't like the new Brownings, they feel to fake. Still trying to see if I need lead when hunting doves and rabbit when not on state land.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

Will Rogers