Effective and total range of a 12ga target load

Reviews and discussion of shotgun ammo.

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

ncbluedot
Been around awhile

Effective and total range of a 12ga target load

#1 Post by ncbluedot » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:24 pm

My son and I were shooting skeet at one of the local public fields last weekend and we noticed a boardwalk about +/- 400 yards IN FRONT of where we were busting clays. This made us go, hmmmm... what is the effective range of these target loads we are sending that way? I can't imagine #9 - #7.5 shot would be very effective past 100 yards, but we were still wondering if the joggers and dog walkers are ever showered by pellets dropping from the sky as they crossed the path of this heavily used range.

dcramer64
Grizzled Veteran

Re: Effective and total range of a 12ga target load

#2 Post by dcramer64 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:56 pm

Shotshell pellets are not very aerodynamic and lose energy very quickly. If shot at an angle into the air, they will travel about 300-500 yards (depending on initial velocity and shot size) and fall out of the sky with very little energy and no pattern density. I've been hit by pellets at this range (most likely #7.5 and #8 shot) at a poorly designed sporting clays course. It can sting a bit but does no damage beyond what you would experience in a hale storm with pea-sized hale.

SailDesign
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: Effective and total range of a 12ga target load

#3 Post by SailDesign » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:56 pm

No idea what the answer is, but when I looked at the title my immediate reaction was "12ga Target Load? That's an oxymoron...."

:)

But, yeah - skeet.
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.

ImageImageImage