Which Ammo Do You Like?

I just got my first shotgun last week (Wingmaster 12ga with a 30" vented rib cylinder bore barrel). I put a lot of research into the gun but not a lot into ammo. When I started looking at ammo I saw brands that I am familiar with (Winchester, Federal, Remmington, etc.), but also ones that I have never heard of before like Estate. I figured I would ask yall so that I can learn some more and make a my choices based on more than "Well this box looks pretty!"
So, that being said, what do yall look for in ammo? And, what do yall like for clays, defense, and just having some fun?
He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.

Re: Which Ammo Do You Like?

For shotguns, especially for clays and birds, get several different brands and some large sheets of paper and compare the patterns. Not every shotgun likes the same ammo. The most expensive loads may not patten the best in YOUR gun.

FWIW, you'll want to get some tighter chokes for clays.

It all works about the same, especially when skeet/trap shooting. The biggest deciding factor for me is price, but really...you won't notice much difference in $6-7/box ammo whether it's Federal, Estate (made by Federal), Winchester, or Remington.
Last edited by atxgunguy on Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LGC Texas - Vice President

TheViking wrote:FWIW, you'll want to get some tighter chokes for clays.
Unfortunately, the barrel I have right now doesn't take interchangable chokes. Do you know if they can modify it to take them or do I need to get a new one?
He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.

MedicGoalie84 wrote:
TheViking wrote:FWIW, you'll want to get some tighter chokes for clays.
Unfortunately, the barrel I have right now doesn't take interchangable chokes. Do you know if they can modify it to take them or do I need to get a new one?
If it's a new one, most come with a Modified choke which is good to go for skeet and trap shooting.
Last edited by atxgunguy on Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LGC Texas - Vice President

Rio is really good stuff, they make a max bird load that really hammers clays and birds. The problem is it messes your lead up when compared to other common brands.

I like federal and winchester (though winchester has been slipping a bit in quality control the past 5 years or so in my opinion. They also jam my 870 up a bit). I've never been a fan of Remington - report varies, recoil varies, mixed shot sizes within the shell, etc.

For serious quail and dove hunting, I'd get Rio max loads in 8 shot. A cylinder bore is probably only effective for 30 yards. For casual clay shooting, just about anything will work.

There's a website that sells used barrels (forget the name of it) for a reasonable price. I'd definitely want to add a modified barrel to that gun.