Okay here is something that I've been thinking about...

Federal introduced the Flite-control wad for their Buckshot loads (which increases the effective range from cylinder choke barrels) a few years back. Winchester a year later brought out what they call Shot-lok resin to increase effective range for Turkey loads.

Now what about combining both the flite control wadding and the shot-lok resin for both game loads as well as defensive ammo?

Have I gone completely around the bend or does that sound like a pretty good idea?

Re: Okay here is something that I've been thinking about...

Marlene wrote:How so?

And are you thinking of an effect any different from a frangible slug?

The Shot-lok resin actually breaks up upon firing and decreases shot deformation the flite control wad should help keep the pattern flying in a tighter pattern. It isn't really a frangible slug. But it should in theory further increase the effective range of a cylinder choke shotgun and buckshot loads.

I too don't understand the problem we're trying to solve.

Is over-scatter really a problem in HD situations? I would think the opposite. That's why HD shotguns usually have a cylinder choke or equivalent, to scatter as wide and as quickly as possible, assuming short range engagement.
"To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime" - Nuremberg prosecutor Robert Jackson, 1946

It was more of a "What if" thought experiment. But if in a survival situation where you have a shotgun that lacks a choke and have very few slugs/having to engage moving targets that would otherwise be outside of standard buckshot range, having such loads on hand could be a great advantage.

It's the only way I can see of giving the standard defensive (fixed cylinder choked) shotgun owner more to work with.