Re: Aguila mini shells

The mini shells also come loaded with bird shot. For instructing a new shooter, these are wonderful. The shot charge in these is 5/8 oz, IIRC. That is enough shot to shoot Skeet. The typical American shotshell is loaded with an ounce-and-an-eighth, which is way more than necessary, and the additional recoil contributes to fatigue.

My Skeet handholds in 12 gauge contain about 3/4 oz of shot, with which I can shoot my usual score of 22 in Skeet, maybe a 25.

NuJudge wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:29 pm The mini shells also come loaded with bird shot. For instructing a new shooter, these are wonderful. The shot charge in these is 5/8 oz, IIRC. That is enough shot to shoot Skeet. The typical American shotshell is loaded with an ounce-and-an-eighth, which is way more than necessary, and the additional recoil contributes to fatigue.

My Skeet handholds in 12 gauge contain about 3/4 oz of shot, with which I can shoot my usual score of 22 in Skeet, maybe a 25.
How is the accuracy on those bird shot shells?

I can only shoot slugs at my range, and the slug accuracy of the Aguila is not as good as with "normal" slugs I shoot. The Aguila slugs are more expensive, only made for one of my shotguns, and not as accurate. For me, they are for emergency (SHTF?) saving. I have never shot skeet, though. YMMV
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

tonguengroover wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:58 pm So there's 4 or 5 five pellets in one shell?
Probably more than that. I don't really know how much. Their web site says it comes in 7 1/2, 8, 9 but it holds probably enough to kill a clay pigeon.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Accuracy of Aguila mini shells

Accuracy is fine, and patterning seems good also. I have not shot them on a patterning board, but I have shot Skeet with them quite a number of times, with scores that are my average, 21 or 22, sometimes a 25.

They are great for teaching a newcomer using a double barrel shotgun, giving far less recoil than an ounce-and-an-eighth. The problem is they cost almost twice as much, and they come in the weird 20-round boxes.

Re: Accuracy of Aguila mini shells

NuJudge wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:14 am Accuracy is fine, and patterning seems good also. I have not shot them on a patterning board, but I have shot Skeet with them quite a number of times, with scores that are my average, 21 or 22, sometimes a 25.

They are great for teaching a newcomer using a double barrel shotgun, giving far less recoil than an ounce-and-an-eighth. The problem is they cost almost twice as much, and they come in the weird 20-round boxes.
Price and availability are a problem. I wish they were inexpensive.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt