Aguila mini shells

Reviews and discussion of shotgun ammo.

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

Bucolic
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: Aguila mini shells

Post by Bucolic »

Yeah, what K9s said. They work in my Mossberg 500 with the adapter. I can load 9+1 (vs 5+1) shells and they feed fine but I would not use them in a high stress situation. They are fun though.

NuJudge
Been around awhile

Post by NuJudge »

The mini shells also come loaded with bird shot. For instructing a new shooter, these are wonderful. The shot charge in these is 5/8 oz, IIRC. That is enough shot to shoot Skeet. The typical American shotshell is loaded with an ounce-and-an-eighth, which is way more than necessary, and the additional recoil contributes to fatigue.

My Skeet handholds in 12 gauge contain about 3/4 oz of shot, with which I can shoot my usual score of 22 in Skeet, maybe a 25.

K9s
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by K9s »

NuJudge wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:29 pm
The mini shells also come loaded with bird shot. For instructing a new shooter, these are wonderful. The shot charge in these is 5/8 oz, IIRC. That is enough shot to shoot Skeet. The typical American shotshell is loaded with an ounce-and-an-eighth, which is way more than necessary, and the additional recoil contributes to fatigue.

My Skeet handholds in 12 gauge contain about 3/4 oz of shot, with which I can shoot my usual score of 22 in Skeet, maybe a 25.
How is the accuracy on those bird shot shells?

I can only shoot slugs at my range, and the slug accuracy of the Aguila is not as good as with "normal" slugs I shoot. The Aguila slugs are more expensive, only made for one of my shotguns, and not as accurate. For me, they are for emergency (SHTF?) saving. I have never shot skeet, though. YMMV
The border between civilization and savagery is porous and patrolled by opportunists. Resist fascism. Vote like your democracy depends on it.

tonguengroover
Been around awhile

Post by tonguengroover »

So there's 4 or 5 five pellets in one shell?
Buy the ticket; take the ride

K9s
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by K9s »

tonguengroover wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:58 pm
So there's 4 or 5 five pellets in one shell?
Probably more than that. I don't really know how much. Their web site says it comes in 7 1/2, 8, 9 but it holds probably enough to kill a clay pigeon.
The border between civilization and savagery is porous and patrolled by opportunists. Resist fascism. Vote like your democracy depends on it.

NuJudge
Been around awhile

Accuracy of Aguila mini shells

Post by NuJudge »

Accuracy is fine, and patterning seems good also. I have not shot them on a patterning board, but I have shot Skeet with them quite a number of times, with scores that are my average, 21 or 22, sometimes a 25.

They are great for teaching a newcomer using a double barrel shotgun, giving far less recoil than an ounce-and-an-eighth. The problem is they cost almost twice as much, and they come in the weird 20-round boxes.

K9s
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: Accuracy of Aguila mini shells

Post by K9s »

NuJudge wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:14 am
Accuracy is fine, and patterning seems good also. I have not shot them on a patterning board, but I have shot Skeet with them quite a number of times, with scores that are my average, 21 or 22, sometimes a 25.

They are great for teaching a newcomer using a double barrel shotgun, giving far less recoil than an ounce-and-an-eighth. The problem is they cost almost twice as much, and they come in the weird 20-round boxes.
Price and availability are a problem. I wish they were inexpensive.