12 ga.: What is "Magnum" ammo?

I just bought a new semi auto shotgun, a Rock Island VR60, and the instructions say to break in the mechanism with 50 rounds of magnum loads before using target loads. Now, target ammunition seems to be pretty well marked and usually lists expected FPS out of whatever test gun they used. But I've only found one brand marked "magnum" and it did not list a velocity.

Marked velocities have been anywhere between 1150 and 1650 FPS, I would assume magnum is 1400 and above, but I don't know. What kind of loading or velocity should I be looking for?

Re: 12 ga.: What is "Magnum" ammo?

Standard 12 gauge shells are 2.75 inches long. Magnum loads generally refers to 3 inch shells that, by virtue of their extra length, can be loaded hotter than a standard shell. There are also super magnum shells at 3.5 inches long but your VR60 isn't chambered for those.
Last edited by Darwinchip on Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
He roughed us, then he cuffed us
And he took us off to jail
No picture on a poster, no reward, and no bail

Don’t wimp out! Your gun is watching you. Buy the strongest, baddest 3” loads you can find then go to town. If the manufacturer is telling you to do this it’s because they consider this to be the final “fitting” where all the flashing and other metal parts are going to rub off until everything in your action become butter smooth. Hell, I’d even lather some polishing compound into your gun’s receiver before you start. Note that I’d do that to YOUR gun, not necessarily mine. But I’m full of good advice these days...
:thumbup:

Anyway, nobody said you had to shoulder the damned thing. Shoot the first 50 rounds from the hip at a large object (like an old car). Just make sure to hold onto the gun so you don’t lose it behind you when it jumps into the bushes.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Bisbee wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:15 pm Don’t wimp out! Your gun is watching you. Buy the strongest, baddest 3” loads you can find then go to town. If the manufacturer is telling you to do this it’s because they consider this to be the final “fitting” where all the flashing and other metal parts are going to rub off until everything in your action become butter smooth. Hell, I’d even lather some polishing compound into your gun’s receiver before you start. Note that I’d do that to YOUR gun, not necessarily mine. But I’m full of good advice these days...
:thumbup:

Anyway, nobody said you had to shoulder the damned thing. Shoot the first 50 rounds from the hip at a large object (like an old car). Just make sure to hold onto the gun so you don’t lose it behind you when it jumps into the bushes.
Also make sure you place the buttstock on the outside of the hip, so when it slips you don’t lose anything important. Guy in high school was shooting this sawed off hog leg 12 ga and he didn’t put the stock on the outside of the hip. He fired not having it tight to his leg it slipped inward on recoil. We don’t know what was louder his scream or the 12 blast?
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Actually, "Magnum" 12 gauge 2.75" shells may have a relatively low muzzle velocity, but there's a heavy shot charge.

A lot of target loads, especially European ones, have light shot charges but sky-high muzzle velocity.

Regarding the comments about sore shoulders above, in general, my shoulder feels much worse with a significant increase in shot charge, than it does with a significant increase in velocity.

I pretty much addresses your question in someone else's post about shell length. In rifles and pistols "magnum" is different. But in a shotgun it refers to how many ounces of pellets. The terminology varies manufacture to manufacturer and person to person, but roughly a shell containing one ounce it is called a "light load". If it contains 1/4 most brands dont call it anything special, some do say "light game loads" or something similar. Shells loaded with 11/2, 2, or rarely - slightly over 2 ounces are called "magnum' or some brand specific name like "super x" double x, or super double x.

With rifle and pistol ammo the velocity often denotes magnum. But with shotgun ammo, more shot usually lowers the velocity, which is actually good in a shotgun. Shotgun slugs, which really just make a shotgun a rifle might be different, but I am not sure. They do sell ammo that are heavier (more grains) just like with rifle ammo. But I have not hunted deer in decades so I cant speak to the subject of slugs. You might want to take a look at my reply in that other post for more insight into this topic.