Shotshell reloading

Reviews and discussion of shotgun ammo.

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

spara
Verified Member
Verified Member

Shotshell reloading

Post by spara »

Anyone reload shotgun shells? I want to try my hand at reloading slugs that cycle reliably but don't beat up my shoulder. Any recommendations on gear/powder/reloading data would be greatly appreciated.

NuJudge
Been around awhile

Re: Shotshell reloading

Post by NuJudge »

Anytime you ask for specialty ammo for shotguns, the price goes into the stratosphere. Handloading brings the price down to something manageable, but it has its own concerns.

Recoil can be dealt with in a variety of ways. One way is choosing a smaller caliber. Twenty gauge slugs will beat you up less than 12s. Using a "sissy pad" will help:
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1002531259?pid=699899
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1018130090
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1006452941?pid=547301
For the slip-on pads, sizing is critical

In general, fitting of a shotgun to you is critical, a bunch of different ways. The typical commercial shotgun is made to fit a male, 5ft-8in tall, right handed and right eyed, about 180 pounds. The more you deviate from that, the worse you will shoot and the more the gun will beat you up. I was once almost 6'4". My father first took me to a shotgun fitter when I was age 35. The typical shotgun sold commercially in the USA has a distance from the trigger to the middle of the butt ["pull"] of about 14.25". The fitter told me I needed a 15 and 5/8 inch pull, which is the longest I had ever heard of. I had my butt adjusted to that. The next summer my father took me back to see him, and after watching me shoot he said 16".

I typically use a pull of about 16", some of that is "sissy pad". I also custom load my own ammo. Commercial ammo frequently has a ridiculous amount of "overkill" in it. I load my ammo up or down to what I need. My shotguns also are of the right length so they do not unnecessarily beat me up.

spara
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by spara »

Thank you for taking the time to not answer the question and opine on fitment.

senorgrand
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by senorgrand »

sorry, I got nothin' Spara. seems like it would be a common issue for fellow three gun competitors...there must be good pet loads out there....somewhere. maybe find some loads and work backwards for equipment? btw, you can usually find shotgun reloading equipment on the craigslist for good prices

Grand Poobah and Bass Player for the Conspiracy of Weenies.

senorgrand
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by senorgrand »

oh, and shotguns and 45 long colt use many of the same powders. I bought my 45 powders from a trap shooter. might be enough of a reason to by a sixgun, if you don't already have one. :)

Grand Poobah and Bass Player for the Conspiracy of Weenies.

NuJudge
Been around awhile

Post by NuJudge »

spara wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:56 pm
Thank you for taking the time to not answer the question and opine on fitment.
Actually, your real problem probably is fit, not the ammo. I went through this about 30 years ago, I didn't shoot well and shotguns beat me up. My father took me to a fitter, my average score in Skeet went from 14 to 22, and my problem with getting beat up went away.

By all means, pursue your own course to enlightenment.

kronkmusic
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by kronkmusic »

Shotshell reloading always seemed interesting because of the seemingly endless possibilities. Following this thread.

Marlene
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by Marlene »

Shotshell reloading is much less amenable to the kind of experimentation that is the norm in metallic reloading. You basically follow recipes that have been pressure tested exactly, no substitutions. The place I know about for books and books of oddball recipes, tools and components is Ballistic Products. Have a look.

That said, my only shotshell loading has been BP, which is very different.

spara
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by spara »