Mossberg 590

OK, so I've owned my 590A-1 12ga since 2004, and it has been boringly reliable. I've put somewhere around 1,500 to 2,000 shells through it, and it still functions flawlessly. Here is my shotgun at the range shooting clay pigeons and getting disapproving looks this past fall, and just look at what a good time it's having!

The Ghost Ring sights combined with a 20" barrel, and less than perfect eyes make for roughly 1 MOB(Minute of Bucket) accuracy with rifled slugs at 100yds. It is fairly slow handling in this configuration, but with the bayonet attached and loaded with 9 rounds, it does absorb the recoil nicely. ;)
Every one you've ever met or will ever meet, knows something you don't. -Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Anti-Gravity Activist

Black Lives Matter

Re: Mossberg 590

Nice.

In addition to evil black rifles, my battery is also lacking shotguns.

I have a weak spot for Remington's 870 Marine Magnum.

But wouldn't mind a pawnshop find like a Winchester Defender, or an old Winchester 12 in decent condition (non-collectible).

Xela
"We are all born mad. Some remain so." Waiting for Godot

"...as soon as there is language, generality has entered the scene..." Derrida

Xela wrote:...But wouldn't mind a pawnshop find like a Winchester Defender, or an old Winchester 12 in decent condition (non-collectible)... Xela
http://texasguntrader.com/
Check this site now and then. I see folks dumping guns about the time rent is due. I've noticed more autos listed than revolvers and wonder what that's about. A lot of the screaming unbelievable deals are out in East Jesus and I wouldn't consider going out there.

Puffing up is no substitute for smarts but it's a common home remedy

Here is a more recent pic. My 590 just hanging out at the house with another of my favorite tools:

Xela, any of those you've listed would be a great HD shotgun. I've had a hankering for an old '97 Winchester for some time now, it's one of the few other models of shotgun that I know of that has a bayonet lug. I like bayonet lugs; they arguably aren't very practical, but if you need one there is no substitute, and I like them non the less. There is a part for sale somewhere that allows you to add a lug to an 870, I'll have to see if I can find a link. Perfect for repelling the zombie hordes. ;)
Every one you've ever met or will ever meet, knows something you don't. -Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Anti-Gravity Activist

Black Lives Matter

Simmer down wrote:http://www.dallasguns.com/index.asp

Here's another site. The pawn shops have good deals listed. I saw a 12g street sweeper listed for $700. Who doesn't need a street sweeper?
Holy Beelzebub...I knew about the first link, but I don't remember knowing about this last one.

I gotta check it out.

Thanks Simmer down.

Xela
Last edited by Xela on Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AmirMortal wrote:Here is a more recent pic. My 590 just hanging out at the house with another of my favorite tools:

Xela, any of those you've listed would be a great HD shotgun. I've had a hankering for an old '97 Winchester for some time now, it's one of the few other models of shotgun that I know of that has a bayonet lug. I like bayonet lugs; they arguably aren't very practical, but if you need one there is no substitute, and I like them non the less. There is a part for sale somewhere that allows you to add a lug to an 870, I'll have to see if I can find a link. Perfect for repelling the zombie hordes. ;)
I love bayonets too :)

That's one reason why my infatuation with the SKS continues.

I mentioned a little while back that I also own a Finn Mosin (M28/30), and I recently got a rare M/35 bayonet for that baby :) My pride and joy...

Xela

AmirMortal wrote:OK, so I've owned my 590A-1 12ga since 2004, and it has been boringly reliable. I've put somewhere around 1,500 to 2,000 shells through it, and it still functions flawlessly. Here is my shotgun at the range shooting clay pigeons and getting disapproving looks this past fall, and just look at what a good time it's having!

The Ghost Ring sights combined with a 20" barrel, and less than perfect eyes make for roughly 1 MOB(Minute of Bucket) accuracy with rifled slugs at 100yds. It is fairly slow handling in this configuration, but with the bayonet attached and loaded with 9 rounds, it does absorb the recoil nicely. ;)
Amir, the reason you were getting disapproving looks was because YOU HAVE AN UNSHEATHED BAYONET ON A SHOTGUN YOU ARE USING TO SHOOT SKEET - aka waving it around for no good reason. That is about as dumb as pointing a gun at something you don't intend to shoot. If you don't want disapproving looks, don't do stupid, dangerous, pointless things.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

masonalannz wrote:
AmirMortal wrote:OK, so I've owned my 590A-1 12ga since 2004, and it has been boringly reliable. I've put somewhere around 1,500 to 2,000 shells through it, and it still functions flawlessly. Here is my shotgun at the range shooting clay pigeons and getting disapproving looks this past fall, and just look at what a good time it's having!

Amir, the reason you were getting disapproving looks was because YOU HAVE AN UNSHEATHED BAYONET ON A SHOTGUN YOU ARE USING TO SHOOT SKEET - aka waving it around for no good reason. That is about as dumb as pointing a gun at something you don't intend to shoot. If you don't want disapproving looks, don't do stupid, dangerous, pointless things.
:lol: Oh, it wasn't pointless, it is in quite good condition. I have been handling blades for even longer than guns, and I assure you that at no time was anyone in any danger whatsoever. I don't wave guns around, and I wasn't waving the blade around either. I affixed the bayonet once I got on the line, there was no one withing 10yds of me while it was attached, and it was removed and sheathed before I left the line. I was mostly just trying to get a feel for how differently it handled with the extra weight on the end while firing. It made a little difference, but not much.

The looks I get is for having a black 'tactical' shotgun on the skeet range. The folks with the $2,000 double barrels give me those looks consistently when I go. Some of them do better than I do with my cylinder bore, but most don't seem to. I think they're just jealous.

For the looks that I get, I still fon't get the looks that my buddy gets when he shoots his Serbu Super Shorty at skeet. The guys in the shooting vests really shit bricks when they see that. :lol:

ETA: Also, I have trained with bayonets, short spears, swords, knives, and various other implements of destruction in both formal and informal settings for many years, so I am no novice, just to be clear.
Last edited by AmirMortal on Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anti-Gravity Activist

Black Lives Matter

I went on a scout camping trip where they were doing skeet shooting for badges. I brought my 18" Winchester 1300 Defender just to offer another gun. I was not aware the other guns were along the O/U Baretta lines so mine looked way out of place. The boys realized the riot gun had a better chance of hitting the target than the posh doubles and most used it for the weekend.

Puffing up is no substitute for smarts but it's a common home remedy

I fixed my mosin- nagant's bayonet for shooting 'cause the damn thing tended to shoot high. As long as you clear it with the range officers bayonets are allowed. Its not like they are the most threatening thing coming out of the barrel.
I was finally able to chuck the 16" anti- fascist screwdriver when I got mojo sights for the old rifle.
P.S. I was surprised that I was able to bust clays with my 20- ga. Stoeger Coach gun ( bbl. 20") but it was a lot easier when I switched to Paladin's semi- auto Benelli 12- ga. Using the right tool for the job and all that...
" Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I attack." - Gen. Ferdinand Foch, 1st Battle Of The Marne ( 1914).
http://www.rudereds.blogspot.com

i'm starting to gravitate toward the Mossberg 590A1 shotgun for HD but i'm not sure if I should go with the 18" or 20" barrel. Does it even matter?

By the way, any of you ever order from Bud's Gun Shop online? I have no reason to believe they're unreliable.....they seem to have pretty good prices on guns and free shipping.

Been playing around with my 870 lately.

I ditched the synthetic stock and side-saddle and went for a nice laminated stock. Really improved the looks of the gun, and the longer fore-stock is much more comfortable than the "police" one that came with it. The gun seems more balanced and certainly handles better. Wanted to duplicate the feel of my Wingmaster. (Although the Wingmaster has a smoother action.)

I'll be adding this when the bracket comes in the mail. It's a 120-lumen LED flashlight made by Sure Fire.
We live at a time when emotions and feelings count more than truth,
and there is a vast ignorance of science.
James Lovelock

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.
-William G. McAdoo, lawyer and politician (1863-1941)

Doc wrote:That looks really nice!

If my Saiga sale goes through today, I'll be looking at an NFA 14" barrel 870P in wood and park soon.
A 14" barrel would be nice, but I'm not sure I'd want to go through the whole process.
We live at a time when emotions and feelings count more than truth,
and there is a vast ignorance of science.
James Lovelock

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.
-William G. McAdoo, lawyer and politician (1863-1941)

axel wrote:
Doc wrote:That looks really nice!

If my Saiga sale goes through today, I'll be looking at an NFA 14" barrel 870P in wood and park soon.
A 14" barrel would be nice, but I'm not sure I'd want to go through the whole process.
It gets easier once you've done it a few times. And in this case it's just a form 4, some patience and screwing in a $190 barrel once the stamp arrives. And engraving.
The Drop Bear, Thylarctos plummetus, is a large, arboreal, predatory marsupial related to the Koala.

Carl_Spackler wrote:i'm starting to gravitate toward the Mossberg 590A1 shotgun for HD but i'm not sure if I should go with the 18" or 20" barrel. Does it even matter?

By the way, any of you ever order from Bud's Gun Shop online? I have no reason to believe they're unreliable.....they seem to have pretty good prices on guns and free shipping.
I'm a bit late to the party, but I ordered my Ruger SR22 pistol from Bud's earlier this year. Excellent communication and quick shipping. The whole process was flawless in my experience.

On the shotgun front, I'm hoping to add one myself in 2013...have a couple of handguns that are in front of a shotty on the waiting to be purchased purchase list though. That just gives me more time to decide between a Mossy and a Remington.

Doc wrote:I have an ex-police Remmington 870P 14" barrel on the way now, though I much prefer the safety on the Mossy 590.
I love the safety on the 590. I also liked that when I was in the corps we beat the shit out of them and they kept on going just fine.

For self/home defense, my order of preference is a little different than most, as the 870 isn't top two.

Mossberg 590A1
Winchester 1300
Remington 870

goosekiller wrote:Every clay-shooter should have a bayonet. You can stab the cripples.
That's some funny shit right there.

I want a bushel of bayonet lugs and a supermarket cart full of barrel shrouds. I bet you could take over the world with those dangerous items.
"il corporativismo è la pietra angolare dello Stato fascista" Translated, this means: "boom-shacka-lacka-lacka,-boom-boom-boom.