Browning A5 Whippet

I dont post often, and in fact other than my intro this is probably the first thread I've started. I put this out on Arf.com and realized that I hadn't posted here yet. And since the Shotgun thread forum seems kind of quiet...

Here is my recently finished A5 SBS. I also converted it to a 2 piece lifter.

Re: Browning A5 Whippet

Thanks all. I started with a $300 Gunbroker special. The barrel is about 14.25 inches. I had it done by Rose Action Sports. I wasn't sure I could cut it well enough, but was damned sure I couldn't install the new site myself. Big endorsement of Steve Rose's work - very nicely done. The original barrel was dinged up at the muzzle, so no loss there...

I whacked about 2 inches off of the end of the stock but then mounted a grind to fit Pachmayr pad so the LOP is about 13ish inches. In truth a hair short for me , but doable in the "Clyde Barrow" configuration. It is a very handy length. The stock was split around the pistol grip knob and the wood had been chewed up between the tang and recoil tube. Given that, I didnt feel bad about cutting it shorter. I've expoxied it and hope it holds but who knows. May have to shell out for replacements at some point.

I used a Nordic Comp MXT plug cap for the mag tube cap, taking a chance that it would give enough space in the tube for another round and lucked out. It holds 1+5 2 3/4 shells. I wanted to use a QD type sling and the MXT has a QD cup in the end. I counter sunk another QD cup in the stock to make that work. Upgraded to a 2 piece lifter, but kept the old trigger group with suicide safety.

All in all, a lot of fun and a great learning experience. I like the "Steampunk Tactical Meets End of The World" look to it.

$300 for donor
$200 for stamp
$130 for barrel work
$100 ish for lifter parts
$25 for pad
Priceless = Range time

Yes...the decision to pursue it wasn't rooted in, shall we say, sound fiscal policy. But then this is a hobby and the ROI isnt calculated in $$. I did enjoy the tinkering.

The mistake I made was pursuing an NFA trust. After you fund that, you are compelled to pursue NFA weapons to justify it. :wall:

DamnYankee wrote:Yes...the decision to pursue it wasn't rooted in, shall we say, sound fiscal policy. But then this is a hobby and the ROI isnt calculated in $$. I did enjoy the tinkering.

The mistake I made was pursuing an NFA trust. After you fund that, you are compelled to pursue NFA weapons to justify it. :wall:
Watch out! Next thing you know you'll be adding shoulder stocks to pistols...
"In every generation there are those who want to rule well - but they mean to rule. They promise to be good masters - but they mean to be masters." — Daniel Webster

rascally wrote:
DamnYankee wrote:Yes...the decision to pursue it wasn't rooted in, shall we say, sound fiscal policy. But then this is a hobby and the ROI isnt calculated in $$. I did enjoy the tinkering.

Watch out! Next thing you know you'll be adding shoulder stocks to pistols...
A SBR Draco pistol was what got me started on the trust thing in the first place. Your comment evokes this thought, which is entirely too provacative ;)

[/URL]/img]

shinzen wrote:I can safely say that I'll be sorely disappointed in you if that Draco or something similar doesn't find it's way into your trust. Not that I'm enabling or anything.
The Draco was #1, the A5 was #2. #3, currently in progress, is an 870 SBS with 11.5 in barrel.

I did all of that withOUT encouragement. I dont even want to THINK about where things would be if I had joined this forum earlier!!

For a purely mechanical/spring system like the A5 I think its a non-issue, but I'm sure for any of the gas recoil systems it is a definite consideration. OTOH there are lots of examples of successfully shortened gas semi's out on the web and Remington sells their 11-87 as a police model with a 14 inch barrel. So clearly doable. I'm sure gas ports have to be altered, etc.

I have a Mossberg 930 I bought from Walmart with 18 inch barrel and integrated breacher style brake. I would THINK the gas ports would have been sized to account for the brake. Removing it would shorten the barrel by 3-4 inches but assume would have negligible effect on pressure.

Not sure but think I might be trying to talk myself into another project...

because I can't leave anything alone.
Me neither.

I'm sure if I shot 3 Gun or even hunted with a shotgun I would see/understand the value of an extended mag as shown in the pic. Since I don't, my shotgun aesthetic leans towards shorter, handier lengths vs longer.

You could always buy a second barrel...

DamnYankee wrote:I dont post often, and in fact other than my intro this is probably the first thread I've started. I put this out on Arf.com and realized that I hadn't posted here yet. And since the Shotgun thread forum seems kind of quiet...

Here is my recently finished A5 SBS. I also converted it to a 2 piece lifter.

Nice GAT Clyde. Now you just need a pre-war .38 Super go to along with it. VERY cool.
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”