This followed me home...

So after taking my Wife dove hunting, she's completely taken over my (her, I guess) 1960 Winchester Model 50 semi auto 12 Gauge - which means I've been trawling Gunbroker to find another hunting suitable, classic semi for myself.

I lucked out and scored this one locally for $109.33 out the door!

It's a J.C. Higgins (Sears, Roebuck & Co.) Model 60 Deluxe, from what I've been able to find out made by High Standard between 1952 and 1956.

Bubba apparently decided to give it a tacticool "camo" paintjob which was in my favor since that kept the price down. Even the bolt and bolt carrier were painted on the areas exposed in the ejection port, looked like he just sprayed it fully assembled without covering anything.

Outside of that the mechanical parts and bore are in beautiful, almost new looking condition! :D

A few hours, some extra fine steel wool, mineral spirits, boiled linseed oil and elbow grease later and it looks pretty decent:
Last edited by TheViking on Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Re: This followed me home...

senorgrand wrote:So you're keeping the dial-a-duck?
Yeah, planning on it. Have yet to test shoot it, though - but for that price, I'm happy almost regardless. It may take some adjustment of the gas system (first commercially sold gas operated shotgun, BTW), but with the way the internals look, it should work.

Re: This followed me home...

senorgrand wrote:She cleaned-up nice. Can't wait for a range report!
Thanks! I may stop by the club and shoot it on some paper in one of the tactical bays after work one of these days to compare patterns.

Oh yeah, even came with a removable magazine plug for hunting although I'm pretty sure it's not original - there's not a single plastic part elsewhere on that gun.

Whatever, it does the job and saves me from having to make one :-D