The 28 gauge as a defensive shotgun...

I've worked with .410 Mossberg Model 500 E series shotguns in the past. I've seen where the little pump actions can be used to great effect for in home defense as a firearm that would work with all members of the family that can shoulder it.

I've also stated that a 28 gauge would be even better; more so with a 3-inch load of #4 buck,#3 Buck,and Slugs.

The 28 gauge has been a favorite of small game hunters and it would be just as well suited with the correct ammunition as a defensive shotgun.

What do other scattergun users think?

Re: The 28 gauge as a defensive shotgun...

At close ranges, like one might encounter in home defense situations, I've read that birdshot rounds with small diameter pellets (#7 1/2-9) act like slugs (that is, one single lead projectile) but don't penetrate walls as well as a single, solid mass (again, slugs). Therefore birdshot might be better in a situation where there are thin walls or neighbors close by, such as apartment complexes or duplexes. Can't confirm from personal experience.

JamesH wrote:At close ranges, like one might encounter in home defense situations, I've read that birdshot rounds with small diameter pellets (#7 1/2-9) act like slugs (that is, one single lead projectile) but don't penetrate walls as well as a single, solid mass (again, slugs). Therefore birdshot might be better in a situation where there are thin walls or neighbors close by, such as apartment complexes or duplexes. Can't confirm from personal experience.
This statement begs the question, where are you defending, house in the country, suburb, or apartment? You have to be aware of what happens behind the target. You really don't want to be the guy who shots the neighbors through a couple of walls. If your not worried about neighbors or stains on the carpet, then I say the bigger the better.
Never confuse knowledge with intelligence.

JamesH wrote:At close ranges, like one might encounter in home defense situations, I've read that birdshot rounds with small diameter pellets (#7 1/2-9) act like slugs (that is, one single lead projectile) but don't penetrate walls as well as a single, solid mass (again, slugs). Therefore birdshot might be better in a situation where there are thin walls or neighbors close by, such as apartment complexes or duplexes. Can't confirm from personal experience.
Definitely a consideration in home defense.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan