Re: SD Shotgunning Vs Clay Sports

Seems like it would be, moving target and all. I shoot 100 rounds of sporting clays on occasion, but thinking about it, I'm not sure if there is a direct translation. Defensive shooting wouldn't really have the person moving, necessarily, nor would you necessarily be in the same stance or posture for firing. Gotta be able to get to a range where you can shoot from different positions at fixed targets, and in different positions; I was at the clays range not too long ago where a couple of old guys were shooting sporting clays from the hip... and hitting every one. Get to that point, and I'd say you're pretty well set with defensive shotgun technique.
"I am not a number, I am a free man!" - Number Six

Your typical self defense shotgun is a pump or auto, more likely to be a pump, and not a double. Shooting Skeet would help a lot if it was a pump, and some if it was an auto. Most of my early Skeet shooting was with an auto, and I expected any shotgun I used to cycle itself. Eventually, a pump shotgun came into my life, and I initially had great difficulty with it. For Skeet doubles, the only way I could do it was for someone behind me to shout "pump" right after my first shot. Eventually it became more normal. Now, when I shoot a pump in Skeet, I do not remember working the slide, it being all subconscious and muscle memory.

See my posts otherwhere here about the value of shotgun fitting and aiming at Skeet. Aiming a self defense shotgun will be like shooting a rifle.

For a self defense shotgun, get one where you can change the barrel from one intended for buck & slugs, to one more usable for clays.

Even if it is an auto, your manual of arms will become muscle memory, something you can do without looking, or can do in the dark, which is when trouble happens mostly.

Well they do both involve a shotshell, and mastering the manipulation and operation of the shotgun, but beyond that I really don't know. Trying to imagine a SD situation where you are considering leads with a fast moving target. And if the target is quartering away like many sporting clays, you might run into some questions about shooting- depending on your state and such. Also some much different loads, like 22lr vs .357 But hey, they all involve a bang and some spreading shot! Oh, and fun, Shooting shotguns is always fun.
Be sure to make good choices when you're being stupid...

senorgrand wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:00 am ... However, unless I shoot slugs, I have nowhere to shoot it.
Places that do tactical / practical shooting (USPSA, IPSC) competitions clearly can handle shooting this style of shotgun. You are within range (pun!) of the bay area, and it has a vibrant practical community. I know Chabot (in the East Bay) used to have those competitions, but it has closed; I think you could try the Richmond range. Or in general look for the nearest USPSA/IPSC competition.

Some indoor ranges also allow shooting shotguns with buck shot. Reed's in San Jose does. I don't know what other ranges are close to you.
Here's my question -- is shooting trap or skeet good practice for defensive shotgunning?
I'm not an expert in either, having shot probably just a few hundred rounds in each. I don't even own a shotgun worth talking about. But to me they completely feel different from each other.

In trap, skeet and sporting clays, you have an idea of where the target is coming from and going to. In trap and skeet, target are crossing your field of view or going away from you. In a defensive situation, targets will be coming at you--from all directions including behind you. Sporting clays might be a little better with occasional clays coming at you, or moving along the ground.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

I'm working up a comprehensive how-to on loading 12 gauge slugs on the cheap. Think cutting open the tops of el cheapo Winchester #7 and #8 1oz factory shells, dumping the shot out and replacing it with a 1oz projectile.
In a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich the chicken and cow are involved while the pig is committed.

Yeah, I was going to cut the top off the shell, dump the shot, load the slug and then put a fresh roll crimp on it until I found a video that suggested cutting the top INSIDE the roll crimp from the top which leaves the crimp in place.
In a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich the chicken and cow are involved while the pig is committed.