The GP1935 Browning Hi Power Pistol

The G1935 Hi Power (or HP) pistol was initially designed by American legend John Mosses Browning, who brought us such iconic firearms as the Winchester 1892,Colt 1911, Browning machinegun and Browning Automatic Rifle. After Browning’s death, the design was further developed and then produced by FN of Belgium with production beginning in 1935. To this day, all Browning Hi Powers are produced by FN, though assembly has recently been moved to Portugal. It remains one of the most widely used sidearms in military history. Both allies and axis forces fielded the Hi Power in the Second World War. To this day it remains a classic, perhaps eclipsing the much-loved 1911A1 with a world-wide following of devotees. It has a beauty and martial elegance that you will not find in today’s crop of plastic ‘wonder nines’. But make no mistake, it is not simply a collectable relic, it is still a fine pistol for any avid shooter to own and enjoy and remains the standard firearm for many police departments and defense forces across the globe.

The HP provides an excellent single action trigger pull that can be further enhanced by a competent gunsmith and the removal of the magazine disconnect safety, should you wish. It remains perhaps the most accurate production military sidearm every produced. Though not light by modern standards, it is still slim and easy to conceal with a good holster. The grip angle and ergonomics give you a feel and intuitive ‘pointablity’ that makes snap shooting a pleasure. It just feels ‘right’ to most people the minute they pick it up. The factory 13rd magazine can be supplemented with reliable 15rd versions should you require 9mm bullets ready to go. A few people with wookie-sized monster hands find the grip too slim and some choose to replace the hammer with an after-market version in order to cure ‘hammer bite’ on the web of their shooting hands. The sights have improved over time, though I still encourage their replacement with Novaks low-viz aftermarket sights.

I would recommend the HP for anyone who appreciates modern military firearms, wants an accurate and fun range pistol. It is also very well-suited to home defense. However, I hesitate to recommend this handgun for concealed carry for anyone not already well accustomed to single action automatics. For me, the added risk of handling and carrying in the ‘cocked and locked’ position just isn’t justifiable given the minimal risks of my lifestyle. As well as over 75 years worth of FN production models, there are also some affordable clones on the market. Both the surplus Argentine FM90 and Hungarian FEG offer high-quality affordable alternatives for those not concerned about the ‘brand’ on the slide. The Bulgarians also have some rather ugly variants including a SA/DA version which has been adopted by the Iraqi national police force.
The Drop Bear, Thylarctos plummetus, is a large, arboreal, predatory marsupial related to the Koala.
Attachments
IMG_5662.JPG
IMG_5664.JPG

Re: The GP1935 Browning Hi Power Pistol

For a hi cap nine it could be the best. I have never cared for DA autos with decockers, I owned a Hi power in the 70s and the big reason I got rid of it was that I didn't reload at the time and couldn't afford the super vels that where the best ammo for it at the time.
"Hillary Clinton is the finest, bravest, kindest, the most wonderful person I've ever known in my whole life" Raymond Shaw

I have a couple of 9mm HPs (one from 2009 with target sights, the other a 2010 model with standard ones) and a 40 S&W model (no longer produced--basically the same as a 9mm with beefed-up frame and a veritable garage door spring for the recoil spring. My 40 also has the SFS, which provides peace of mind for some who use it for SD and want to keep it loaded and cocked). All have had really good trigger jobs and mag disconnects removed (which further improves the trigger). They are lots of fun and are sturdy, reliable, and uncannily accurate. I'll never get rid of them (and kinda sorta wish I had kept a couple of the .40s I sold), but even the best HP trigger job can't replicate the smooth, crisp, light trigger of a high-quality 1911. (If pulling the trigger is supposed to remind you of "breaking a glass rod," that "glass rod" on the HP will always feel much thicker than the one a good 1911 "breaks," but the ultra-heavy, gritty factory pull will be gone). Internet gun forum rumors for the past few years predicting the imminent demise of the 9mm HP have proven baseless--so far--but it would probably be prudent for anyone who's inclined to buy one to do so sooner rather than later in case FNH pulls the plug on producing them. (With the .40S&W, Browning simply stopped filling orders in late 2008/early 2009 and didn't say anything about FNH terminating production until the 2011 catalog didn't contain them).

Doc wrote:
GuitarsandGuns wrote:One of those put 3 holes in me and I'm still here :yahoo: :lol: :band:
Awch! :o
Awch, indeed!

But what conclusions should we draw from this?

That 9mm Luger is not a very effective round?

Or that G&G is an exceptionally tough bird? (I vote for this one...) :love:
"To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime" - Nuremberg prosecutor Robert Jackson, 1946

larrymod wrote:
Doc wrote:
GuitarsandGuns wrote:One of those put 3 holes in me and I'm still here :yahoo: :lol: :band:
Awch! :o
Awch, indeed!

Not tough. Just bad shot placement. 2 through and through (broke bones) 3rd one was removed so if you count exit wounds then 5 holes.
How to Embed a Youtube Video - click here
If you live a long life, it is a testament to your friends' self control.
Join The LGC

Thread Killer

GuitarsandGuns wrote:
larrymod wrote:
Doc wrote: Awch, indeed!

Not tough. Just bad shot placement. 2 through and through (broke bones) 3rd one was removed so if you count exit wounds then 5 holes.
Wow, you rock lady!
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times"
"Namaste"
"Don't Tread on Me"

I owned one of the FEG made HP's some time ago, and if you run across one, I recommend them very highly. FEG was the Hungarian National arms maker for hundreds of years, and made everything from handguns the field arty pieces. They made their version of the HP for Mauser, with the Mauser Banner and sold as a Mauser pistol. They also made replacement parts for the Israeli IDF High Powers. They are high quality and very good shooters and usually a lot less costly than the FN High Powers. Back a few years ago, I had several exchanges of emails with the late Stephen Camp on the FEG High Power...He had one, and liked it a lot.

I have long felt that Browning got it right with the High Power after his first attempt with the 1911.

FWIW, on taking several hits from a 9mm, William Manchester wrote a book about his service as a Marine EM in the Pacific in WWII...He shot a Japanese soldier with his 1911 .45 ACP pistol - the soldier was still standing after 7 hits, and absorbed 8 shots before falling down. He did eventually die.
Ain't NO magic handgun caliber, period.

mark
"Feminism encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians." Pat Robertson, failed lawyer, worth over $100 million...

I have three Hi-Powers and love them all. First acquired was a Browning Hi-Power Practical model with the stainless frame and ring hammer and wrap around Pachmayr rubber grips. Then I got hold of a really cherry early 1950s FN Hi-Power (same basic gun but older- FN owns Browning) which probably came from Europe as it has a low 40,000 serial number, below those 50,000s said to be the first sold in the US. It has the old internal extractor and was having FTF/FTE issues first time I shot it so I sent it off to Cylinder & Slide to be checked out and made reliable after luckily rounding up some replacenent extractors, which are extremely hard to find these days as I don't think anyone makes them any more. My newest is a FN Herstal Hi-Power .40 caliber and it's great. Had to lose the CHEAP plastic grips (not even the ambidextrous hand-fitting groove type on recent Hi-Powers) and put Hogue kingswoods on it- it looks like a different gun. They are all sweet guns to shoot and I'm sold on them. No plastic guns for me thanks.
Last edited by chevalier on Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill in Ohio

Where Liberty dwells, there is my country.- Ben Franklin
Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that His justice cannot sleep forever. - Jefferson
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.- Hunter Thompson

Doc wrote:Handgun of choice for the Commonwealth ... and also Nazis and racists the world over:
I think the young lady with the HP might be Charlize Theron...she's South African.
(Do they all look like that down there?)

mark
"Feminism encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians." Pat Robertson, failed lawyer, worth over $100 million...

I dunno- I think the racists are buying plastic guns these days- like a lot of the rest of us. Who makes a quality all-metal gun besides SigSauer and still the FN/Browning Hi-Power?
Bill in Ohio

Where Liberty dwells, there is my country.- Ben Franklin
Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that His justice cannot sleep forever. - Jefferson
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.- Hunter Thompson