Re: CPR

Marry a medical professional professional. Worked for me. If that's not an option, there are some good books on wilderness medicine, which would be applicable to a disaster scenario.

There's a tendency among preppers to focus on combat-style first aid, but remember those measures are only meant to buy a few hours for evacuation. In a sustained emergency, slower but insidious infectious and water-borne illnesses, plus whatever medical conditions many of us already have, become real threats. Keep a stock of any necessary meds or supplies and have an emergency sanitation plan.

http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/hea ... gss05.aspx

http://www.redcross.org/take-a-class/pr ... -first-aid

Scouts and Red Cross have info and classes. Its worth your time to sign up for these every few years.

First Aid info has come in handy for me. I'm more likely to see a serious cut around the house than anything else. I have a med sized tackle box of the suggested supplies. When I need something NOW I grab the box instead of digging around for bandages, slings, aspirins, etc.

Some places sell these kits. $100 for $10 worth of stuff neatly packaged. DIY and know what's in it.

Puffing up is no substitute for smarts but it's a common home remedy

Start with a BLF/CPR course from ARC. See if you can get a group at you church, workplace or drinking club together for a cheaper rate and a trainer to come to you. If you live in the Greater Houston area, shoot me a PM and I'll try to get you a discount.

All ARC training is based on the assumption that paramedics are no more than 30 mins away. If you want some basic pre-hospital care skills for remore areas or in a disaster, tehre are some good no-nonsense resources out there.

The Survival Doctor has a great blog website thingy
Where There Is No Doctor is the bible for remote medicine
If you a 'prepper' scared of the UN invasion, Ditch Medicine might be useful

When I get home I'll add some other good books and DVDs as well as author, ISBNs etc.

I may add a pic of my home med kit for you all to laugh at too.
The Drop Bear, Thylarctos plummetus, is a large, arboreal, predatory marsupial related to the Koala.

I took a an ASHI approved Wilderness First Aid course. $95 through my school. Good class, based on the idea that you are not a DR, and are not dealing with extend care. You are stopping the bleeding and getting the eff out. Lots of improv, not having a backboard, litter, splints, and using what you do have. I am a Park Ranger in the summers, so the class is a good thing for me to have, and I would suggest it to anyone.
In a "Dooms day prepper" situation, this is not enough, I need a small hospital and trained staff for the end of the world, but its better than nothing.
I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!
Patrick Henry, March 23, 1775

I got my CPR and defib training through my last gig. I figure if Mr Murphy is right, it'll be the overweight undertall guy having to save someone else. ;)
In a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich the chicken and cow are involved while the pig is committed.

Sonofagun wrote:A sanitation plan composed of what for long term? Like a bottle of JD? Betadine?
And maybe a little "tussin"....... I haven't taken a first aid course for a few years, but have tried to keep up occasionally with various amounts of reading up on it.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Sonofagun wrote:A sanitation plan composed of what for long term? Like a bottle of JD? Betadine?
At brew shops there's B.E.S.T., iodine based, for sanitizing equipment like water containers and such. I've used it for home brewing and it works. I'm a fan of most iodine based materials, which work as long as they're allowed to dry. With a pre-filter water it can make water safer to drink. You can use it for an antiseptic and operative field prep.
As to CPR etc. Even the goal of Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) is the return of cardiac and brain perfusion. Once that is accomplished the patient still must go to a higher level of care.
Even then, few of the civilian courses do more than keep 'em alive until the paramedics can take 'em to a hospital. Regarding SHTF times, few plans take into account that if 20% of the populace is down that will also (probably) remove 20% of the docs, nurses, paramedics, etc. Sustained care is seldom addressed for serious problems. Cuts, some fractures, abscesses, tooth aches can be sufficiently managed out of the hospital, but real world triage for coronary, neuro, gastro will devolve to the status of third world mortality / morbidity rates.

Sonofagun wrote:I know CPR and various medical procedures following the unfortunate event someone is down. But I'm no expert and would like to learn more about signs, side effects and awareness. What do you know and have you any good sources of information for when EMT or EMS are not available or cannot be there immediately?
What are you specifically looking to know? I am an RN on the Rapid Response team at a 700+ bed hospital in Minnesota. The bottom line is that if you are doing CPR and EMS is not available, you are pretty much screwed statistically. CPR is to keep someone's blood circulating until they can have a lethal cardiac rhythm shocked or fixed pharmacologically.

I would refer most people to a good wilderness medicine program or the like. Advanced first-responder stuff is more useful in a non EMS/hospital setting.

I am BLS, ACLS, PALS, TNCC and CCRN certified. In the parking lot at Wal mart doing CPR on an unknown, all that those acronyms mean is that I know someone is screwed before you do......

I have finally become CPR/AED certified last year through my last school. I did not realize how little effort it would take. If your the type of person who does not fear getting involved you may as well know what your doing. It's so easy to learn and learned forever. I've taken the CPR courses in the past but not to this extent and did not include learning how to use a defibrillator. Should have done it a long time ago.
Keep Bow Tight ~Sitting Bull
http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/90682-i ... ooks-ahead

I get to take/refresh my cpr/aed skills twice a year. Ski patrol requires professional level BLS, taken every two years, refreshed on the off years. And I'm on the emergency response team at work. They do cpr/aed training every year also. Ski patrol doesn't accept work's training and work doesn't accept ski patrol's training...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The first rule to tattoo on the inside of your eyelids is "do no harm"

Better to know what not to do than try and improvise.. when in doubt don't

Yes, get all the training you can get.. heck get certified as an EMT.. it's a job with lousy pay and worse hours but it a nice hobby.. certified you can even do ride along's most places and volunteer to keep your get skill levels up and gain experience.

I know most folks aren't going to do that.

So if nothing else remember this one statistic .. despite what you see from Hollywood 2 out of three appendicitis victims will survive without any intervention, without any surgery, without any antibiotics a lot of Hollywood super crisis dramatic illness and disease is like that.. more about how to figure that out further down the post. That's better odds of survival than for surgery done by untrained do-gooders with a survival surgery kit under unsterile conditions by a long shot.. even if the wanna be surgeon actually knows what an appendix looks like and which side of the body you cut on. Trained Doctors with full Hospital level support kill about 100,000 folks a year by prescribing the wrong medicine, often the wrong antibiotic .. a lot of the adverse reactions folks can have to antibiotics can be corrected with a whole hospital and staff help and facilities .. you probably won't have that kind of back up.. medical history is important and if you do not know the victims medical history and allergies and don't know the exact diagnosis or the exact infectious agent (Example Pneumonia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pneumonia over 100 known infectious bacteria can cause Pneumonia not counting viruses and mechanical causes.. so without lab work how would you even start to pick the right antibiotic?) , randomly throw antibiotics at it will not improve odds of survival, and most likely weaken the immune systems ability to fight the infection, even if it does not precipitate anaphylactic shock and kill them outright. A lot of your immune system relies on an intact and healthy digestive system... some antibiotics can upset the delicate balance of microbes in the digestive track, see ORF a bit farther down the post. Never say.. "but I got to do something or they will dieeeeee" unless you know what to do.

The only reason I mention this at all is the number of times I have seen people declare that they just have to do something and they have fishmox and the victim will die if they do nothing so they must do something. I applaud the fact I haven't seen any of that on here. While getting training in proper use of antibiotics requires extensive medical training, antiseptic wound care is fairly easy to learn and get training in and is a real life saver.

The most effective medicine you can stock, and that has probably saved more lives than any other medicine is Oral Rehydration formula http://rehydrate.org/solutions/homemade.htm https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oral_rehydration_therapy
The basic ingredients sugar and salt have indefinite shelf lives , in air tight containers they will last forever and a solution of those in the correct proportions per the recipe will save lives the citrate is good to have but if you don't have it or it has gone bad, you are still in business, same for the zinc. This is also good for shock if you don't have IV's for heat stress and heat stroke (it's basically unflavored Gatorade).
You can buy packets of premixed ingredients.. they are crazy expensive particularly when you consider the amount of ORF you need per person over up to 5days or even longer in some cases. the commercial packets are basically to mix in a water bottle for heat stress where one or two bottles fixes things .

A lot of you guys are on the west cost where earthquakes and volcano's and falling off into the pacific are actual worries ( we have to use tornados here to get the same effects) ... if that kind of thing happens.. think about it.. gonna be a lot of crushed and broken body parts/ bones .. typical first aid kit ain't gonna cut it.. gonna need big trauma pads and splints and slings and crutches and maybe even a stretcher.. quickstop type bleeding stopper, Israeli compress bandages , tourniquets, ace bandages, tempo flexible splints https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LZAK7NB?psc=1splints

You can learn how to make a cast on you tube and buy everything to make a real first class cast on amazon.. Learning how to handle compound fractures and crushed arms and legs is a bit more complicated .. check with your local Red Cross or ask an EMT to recommend a class.. If you enlist and sign up to be a combat medic Uncle Sam will pay you while you learn.

Just don't bother to put anything in your first aid kit that you don't know how to use.. it could hurt somebody

Sutures https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lvQ2YJ0RjQ first you need to learn the knots .. then go buy a chicken at the butchers already cut up into the common pieces and sew it back together .. if you plan on using sutures If not, consider staples http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... gI4QvD_BwE or steri strips you really have to get the wound clean first so learn wound care first

Folks can be allergic to iodine/ betadine know the medical history know how to spot the onset of allergies and how to treat them.

Ask your doctor if they have any expired PDR's or diagnostic books like https://www.amazon.com/CURRENT-Medical- ... WCCW8Z5PQC

They come out with updates all the time.. older version with 95%-99% still good information just clutter up office space and bookshelves , Chances are your doc will just give you some if you ask, for free . Last time I asked I got about 80 pounds of books

Every good survivalist has books on how to treat.. go the next step, get books to tell you/ guide you to being able to figure out what you are treating , sometimes that is helpful to know.

One thing to keep in mind, no one has ever been saved from a heart attack by CPR alone. It must be paired with advanced life saving techniques (hospital). However you greatly increase the success of CPR if it is paired with an automated external defibrillator (AED). This MAY get a fluttering heart to quit fluttering and start beating. Advanced help is still needed, but an AED is a big leap forward over CPR alone. ARC and AHA can teach AED along with CPR. And.... you can find preowned AED's at a much reduced price on ebay or amazon
Last edited by Hiker on Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

My last CPR course included use of an AED.
I didn't know you could buy a used defibrillator. [I couldn't help imagining a sad story for why one would be available.]

Reading this thread reminds me to fill out the card on my fridge with my medical info.

Not always a sad story, Rusty. Sometimes when an improved model becomes available the old one is sold for surplus. Businesses relocate and the new facility already have fire extinguishers and AEDs installed. A sad story is when a business has failed and things are sold at auction.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

niel22 wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:14 pm I have recently certified in CPR from American CPR Institute. They offers a wide range of life saving courses such as AED, BLS, CPR and more.Their training is made for nurses, doctors,fitness trainers and for interested individuals those who want learn these techniques. The American CPR Institute certificates issued upon the completion of the program are nationally-accepted by a whole host of institutes and organizations.
:welcome: to the forum, niel. what do you shoot?
i'm retired. what's your excuse?