What action of shotgun for your life-long use?

Get the pump - you're not trying to win a fashion show
Total votes: 4 (24%)
Get the semi - it's the next step up that a good hunter needs
Total votes: 3 (18%)
Get the o/u - you don't need 3 shots and this doesn't jam
Total votes: 10 (59%)
Total votes: 17

Re: Which shotgun action for rabbit and upland?

curtism1234 wrote: I wouldn't be afraid of buying a 16ga, just buy a case of shells at a time. Most of the time the makers just use their 12ga frame for the 16, that is not appealing to me.
One of the reasons I love Ithaca is that my 16 is lighter than my wife's 12. It's a seriously sweet shotty but I can't afford to shoot it much until I get a press.
Live like you will never die, love like you've never been hurt, dance
like no-one is watching.
Alex White

This doesn't seem like the popular choice at the moment, but for what is worth I have not touched my 870 express since getting a semi-auto Beretta. I have not had a single failure of any kind yet with it while in the field, and it is lots prettier too.
“Freedom begins between the ears.”

"I always write with my magnum handy. Why? Well, you never know when God may try to interfere."

--Ed Abbey

JackBurns wrote:This doesn't seem like the popular choice at the moment, but for what is worth I have not touched my 870 express since getting a semi-auto Beretta. I have not had a single failure of any kind yet with it while in the field, and it is lots prettier too.
Is there any special care you give it in the winter time (lubrication wise) or does it cycle fine no matter what?

My 22lr semi-autos are unshootable when the weather is cold.

eelj wrote:
My 22lr semi-autos are unshootable when the weather is cold.
Gun oil. Shoot them dry.
I've tried that too :ras:

I just don't want to buy a semi-auto shotgun and have the same problem since most of the hunting I plan on doing is when temps are in the 20's to 40's. But 22's are certainly more picky than other guns.

As to the 12ga being too much on certain game, that's when I just back off a choke. The 12ga improved is just about the perfect rabbit gun when you're shooting high brass 6's :clap2:

You and I hunt in very different environs, when hunting bunnies it will be the snow shoe hare and they are shot stationary at fairly close range. It is best to hunt them with a lot of snow on the ground so you can see the tracks in the snow and then you have to find the shiny black eye in the very dense brush since the turn white in the winter. Where I live we consider 20-40deg moderate not cold unless you forgot the minus when you typed. I've never hunted cotton tails and we only see them in residential areas where I live. I like the fact that you seem to like hunting weapons that are made out of blue steel and wood.
"Hillary Clinton is the finest, bravest, kindest, the most wonderful person I've ever known in my whole life" Raymond Shaw

I've been shooting my friends' new Browning A-5. One has the model for ducks( camo) and the other has a blue and wood one. Both are wonderful to shoot and they swear by them. They hunt duck in the marshes of Louisiana. The biggest turn off, that I had, was the "wood" felt like cheap plastic. Almost like a plastic found on a toy gun. But boy are they fun to shoot. I am going to evaluate them this duck season.
The happiness of the bee and the dolphin is to exist. For man it is to know that and to wonder at it.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

Politics has become so expensive that it takes a lot of money even to be defeated.
Will Rogers