Best rimfire suppressor?

Hi all,

:newhere:, not sure where to put this so I'll put it here.

I'm looking at buying a rimfire suppressor next month. My local dealer has a YHM Mite in stock for $250, that would be the cheapest and easiest. I hear that the Silencerco Sparrow is a good one too, but I'll have to search out a dealer that has one in stock.

Does anyone have a brand/model that they like? It'd need to be one of the smaller models (1" diameter) to clear the sights on my P22.

FWIW, this is my second suppressor and I have an NFA Trust already :)
"Be weird; pay with cash!" - Dave Ramsey

"Come visit us again and again. This is a state of excitement. But for heaven's sake, don't come here to live." - Tom McCall, 30th Governor of Oregon

Re: Best rimfire suppressor?

I chose the SWR Spectre II because of the non-existant FRP, durability, ease of disassembly and noise reduction. SPECS. 1" diameter and -41dB.

SWR customer service is outstanding too, according to the online buzz.

A friend of mine has the Silencerco Sparrow and aside from the FRP the Sparrow does really well, is a quality unit, and is great for disassembly too.

[youtu_be]http://youtu.be/NF_xsaJ-iyM[/youtu_be]

SWR is a subsidiary of Silencerco, so no doubt CS will be identical for either product. Silencershop.com has the Sparrows for $379.00 when they're in stock; I paid $399 for my Spectre II at Wade's in Bellevue.
"il corporativismo è la pietra angolare dello Stato fascista" Translated, this means: "boom-shacka-lacka-lacka,-boom-boom-boom.

Before deciding, you need to know if you are going to be shooting wet or dry.

Wet can get messy (especially in rimfire, which can already be messy), so read some first hand experiences before buying. Also, be sure where ever you are shooting is ok with splattering KY jelly all over their range. :shock:

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

senorgrand wrote:Before deciding, you need to know if you are going to be shooting wet or dry.

Wet can get messy (especially in rimfire, which can already be messy), so read some first hand experiences before buying. Also, be sure where ever you are shooting is ok with splattering KY jelly all over their range. :shock:
I like it dry ;-)

"Come visit us again and again. This is a state of excitement. But for heaven's sake, don't come here to live." - Tom McCall, 30th Governor of Oregon

Dry is the only way to fly. :happy:

If she works dry then you've got a winner, IMO. The AAC element is in the Spectre and Sparrow class, too. Those are probably the best 3 .22 cans available now.
"il corporativismo è la pietra angolare dello Stato fascista" Translated, this means: "boom-shacka-lacka-lacka,-boom-boom-boom.

I was able to go "test drive" a few suppressors the other day, looks like a Silencerco Sparrow will be the way to go. Two more paydays and it will be mine (pending ATF approval)!

Yes. I'm going to fill the form out right this time too so it doesn't come back for corrections.

I think the best bang for the buck is the Huntertown Arms Guardian .22. Its rated for .22LR,22Mag,17 HMR and 17 M2. Its user serviceable and comes with a lifetime guarantee.

I've sold several hundred .22 cans. At one time the Gemtech Outback 2 was king. Then along came the Silencer Co Sparrow and both are great suppressors.

Huntertown Arms started selling the Guardian was is just as quiet as the above, for around 200 bucks less. That's enough to pay for your tax stamp.

The Aluminum version costs around 215-220. The stainless baffle versions sells for 285. I used to sell lots of other brands, but my most popular suppressor is now the HA Guardian.

Put them together and shoot them and you can tell no difference in sound.

RiffRaff wrote:I think the best bang for the buck is the Huntertown Arms Guardian .22. Its rated for .22LR,22Mag,17 HMR and 17 M2. Its user serviceable and comes with a lifetime guarantee.

I've sold several hundred .22 cans. At one time the Gemtech Outback 2 was king. Then along came the Silencer Co Sparrow and both are great suppressors.

Huntertown Arms started selling the Guardian was is just as quiet as the above, for around 200 bucks less. That's enough to pay for your tax stamp.

The Aluminum version costs around 215-220. The stainless baffle versions sells for 285. I used to sell lots of other brands, but my most popular suppressor is now the HA Guardian.

Put them together and shoot them and you can tell no difference in sound.
Great! Know anyone in Oregon with some in stock?

I redirected the money somewhere else, but the recent silliness from the White House regarding trusts has lit a fire and I'll be sending off paperwork for something this week. Probably still the Silencerco Sparrow unless I find something else in stock that strikes my fancy :clap2:

So far, happy with the Gemtech Outback, Huntertown Arms Guardian, and Thompson Machine CHD.
"Well there's always been groups of people who never could see eye to eye. But I always thought if they had a chance to sit down and talk face to face they might realize they got a lot in common."
- Chris LeDoux

I went with the stainless steel Sparrow (white) from Silencerco. Reasons:

I like monocore instead of baffles.
It was in stock at the dealer.
I love the way you clean it/take it apart.
Rated for everything rimfire (and .22LR full auto) AND 5.7mm. My wife wants a ps90 so if we get one, this will work.
I'm a fan of buying stuff from the same company. Multiple SA 1911s, Wilson Combat mags, etc. I'll be picking up an Osprey at some point.

It was not cheap though...

DoctorB wrote:Silencerco and SWR (now the same company) are IMO the states of the art for handgun suppressors. :thumbup:

Dan, how about some pics?
I have an Octane 45 in quarantine currently. Good stuff.

pics of me, or the guns....lol
"Well there's always been groups of people who never could see eye to eye. But I always thought if they had a chance to sit down and talk face to face they might realize they got a lot in common."
- Chris LeDoux

Sparrow SS, HTG CoyoTi (titanium .223), Octane 45, Form 1 to SBR a Glock 19 frame and a MechTech upper. All mailed off between early September and early December.

Good thing I have my LGS job to satisfy my need to play with guns :-)

Modeler wrote:Sparrow SS, HTG CoyoTi (titanium .223), Octane 45, Form 1 to SBR a Glock 19 frame and a MechTech upper. All mailed off between early September and early December.

Good thing I have my LGS job to satisfy my need to play with guns :-)
Check out Huntertown arms guardian 22 they just did a redesign and are super quiet and the easiest can on the market to clean

Sent from my ADR910L using Tapatalk

What parameters are you looking for regarding "best"?
Size, weight, price, decibel reduction, compatibility with similar loadings, ease of cleaning, availability?

Nothing on the market fits into all of the above. What are your priorities? I will say outright that after you prioritize you should next go to all NFA dealers in your area and see what's exactly in stock. Waiting on a manufacturer-to-dealer transfer can take quite a bit of time even assuming that the manufacturer currently has the model you want in stock and ready to go.

All the modern .22 cans are pretty good; I almost never bother wetting down my SWR Warlock. Dry, it makes a lot less noise than the neighbor's pellet rifle.

The biggest distinction is whether you want one that can be disassembled for cleaning. Some folks will swear to you that a sealed, non-openeable can is inevitably going to clog and become useless. These are the folks who don't own one. I clean mine by soaking it in hot water and vinegar, and it works just fine. (Never put it in a sonicator.) I weighed it new, so I know just how much stuff is piling up inside it, and it ain't much. Besides, a can gets quieter as it get dirtier - something about the roughening of the surfaces - until it clogs.

A disassmbleable can will cost twice as much and weigh twice as much as a sealed one, give or take. They're also usually an inch or so longer, too. I took the advice of my FFL and went with one of the more expensive sealed ones, the Warlock, which at $345 was still lots cheaper than an AAC.

It is important to clean a .22 can, since the features inside are small and rimfire ammo leaves more residue than centerfire calibers. I just never "got" why that meant that everybody who buys a sealed can is wrong. Most .22 cans out there are the sealed ones.

And the Warlock II's use the CTA baffle design and so are disassemble-able for cleaning.

The customer service of Silencerco and subsidiary SWR is probably the best in the business. I have heard of a Sparrow suppressor that suffered a catastrophic baffle strike that blew out the end cap with 2/3rds of the baffles.

Silencerco replaced the blown-out interior components with upgraded Sparrow II innards and a new end cap, all for free. How can you do better than that?