Re: What did you reload today?

For the 38spec bullseye or red dot will do every thing. I like 2400 for mags in the 357. Anybody who shoots a 38spec and doesn't try 148gr full wadcutters with bullseye is depriving them selves of one of the real pleasures of shooting revolvers. This powder famine has too end soon, I'm worried about my supply.
"Hillary Clinton is the finest, bravest, kindest, the most wonderful person I've ever known in my whole life" Raymond Shaw
Attachments
006.JPG

Was at Williams Gun Sight today, the best gun shop in Michigan, and they had Blue Dot, Bullseye, Unique, Autocomp, #7, #9, 700x, 296, WSF, H110, Tightgroup, 2400, and Power Pro in stock. They had small pistol primers and .32 60gr Hornaday too which went home with me. Also picked up 100 .22lr, and it turned out my freaking SKS with a $70 red dot on it was sighted in better than this old fart can hold it at 100yrds.by dumb luck just bolting the damn thing on. I should have bought a lottery ticket too.
When only cops have guns, it's called a police state.
I carry due to toxic masculinity.......just other people's.

Antiquus wrote:Was at Williams Gun Sight today, the best gun shop in Michigan, and they had Blue Dot, Bullseye, Unique, Autocomp, #7, #9, 700x, 296, WSF, H110, Tightgroup, 2400, and Power Pro in stock. They had small pistol primers and .32 60gr Hornaday too which went home with me. Also picked up 100 .22lr, and it turned out my freaking SKS with a $70 red dot on it was sighted in better than this old fart can hold it at 100yrds.by dumb luck just bolting the damn thing on. I should have bought a lottery ticket too.
I choose to regard that 'in stock' as good news. Michigan is too far to drive, but maybe just maybe the plug is falling out. Blue Dot, Bullseye, Unique, H110, 2400, all on a backorder list for me.

And if I had known, I would have asked you to buy a lottery ticket for me while you were at it.
The universe - is what it is.

Today was .308 day in my garage. Loaded up 100 rounds of my target load, 42.5 grains of Varget under a 175 gr. Sierra MatchKing. Then I loaded up 40 test loads under a Barnes 175 gr. LRX, with another 40 test loads under a 180 gr. Sierra GameKing... A good friend of mine has an elk hunt booked in Montana, so I'm helping him zero in on the perfect load for his rifle.

I'm thinking if the boss lets me, I'll go load up another 100 rounds of my target load...
"Knowledge without mileage is BULLSHIT!" -Henry Rollins

Simmer down wrote:30 Remington. 150g using 3031. This powder has less CUPs (pressure measurement) and I really like it for my old rifles.

This load is for a pair of 90 year old semi-auto rifles and info has been hard to locate.
These were such fun in this old semi I prepped the cases this morning and will do it again in a few days.

Puffing up is no substitute for smarts but it's a common home remedy

Simmer down wrote:
Simmer down wrote:30 Remington. 150g using 3031. This powder has less CUPs (pressure measurement) and I really like it for my old rifles.

This load is for a pair of 90 year old semi-auto rifles and info has been hard to locate.
These were such fun in this old semi I prepped the cases this morning and will do it again in a few days.
If you start running low on the IMR 3031, I've got a pound gathering dust. I thought I would use it for .308, but turns out I won't need it.
"Knowledge without mileage is BULLSHIT!" -Henry Rollins

ATXOrangeandBlue wrote:
Simmer down wrote:

If you start running low on the IMR 3031, I've got a pound gathering dust. I thought I would use it for .308, but turns out I won't need it.
Thanks. I'm not in a pinch right now. I'll buy it from you when I'm down there next month if you still have it.

Cast a bunch of 240gr .44 RN on Sunday. Loaded 44spl over 7.3gr of PP on Monday morning and went to the range. It's a bit of a warm load. BUT, its the first round that shoots dead on from my Charter Bulldog. All other rounds, including other 240gr have been low. Will drop the charge a wee bit and see if it still holds true.
Be sure to make good choices when you're being stupid...

Found a keg of 4064 at Butch's reloading. On the way so should be good for my higher power rifles for awhile now, as I was getting down to less than a pound of 4350. Also loaded some 223 and about to make some 7.62x54.
ETA: Need some more Mosin food. Low on my favorite bullets.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

foghorn wrote:Cast a bunch of 240gr .44 RN on Sunday. Loaded 44spl over 7.3gr of PP on Monday morning and went to the range. It's a bit of a warm load. BUT, its the first round that shoots dead on from my Charter Bulldog. All other rounds, including other 240gr have been low. Will drop the charge a wee bit and see if it still holds true.
I may have read that the Bulldogs should be kept at 200g or under. I've got an older one and I don't know if the gun or my wrist would loosen up first if I tried 240s.

Added:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charter_Arms_Bulldog
The Gospel of Wiki talks about 240 and 250 so I must be mistaken.

I think it's more of a pressure issue, estimated by keeping fps in the moderate range. I can't remember the article, but saved it somewhere, and I could have sworn it said the sights were set to be accurate with 200-240gr. I will certainly be lightening the powder a bit. "Warm" load is relative, kind of like when you say Mercury is a warm planet, compared to the sun.

Fukshot wrote:Shoot all but one and check the last to see if it has jumped crimp and grown in length. That's the issue with heavier bullets in a little gun like that.
Yup, that happened once out of 50rds. Thought it might have been an undersized cast since it "seemed" a singular event. Did not crimp at all beyond the Lee seating die. will try a very light crimp with the FCD, as its all I have readily available. Thanks

workinstiff wrote: I really do not like the handheld tool.
I never did see the attraction to those things and the obsession that some have with priming by 'feel'. I use the press priming and it's pretty foolproof.
Hell is where:
The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police

eelj wrote:For the 38spec bullseye or red dot will do every thing. I like 2400 for mags in the 357. Anybody who shoots a 38spec and doesn't try 148gr full wadcutters with bullseye is depriving them selves of one of the real pleasures of shooting revolvers. This powder famine has too end soon, I'm worried about my supply.
Thread has taken things away from my comment.

That being, the is a zen space in which to reload.
Heller and McDonald are precedents to be followed, not obstacles
to be overcome

Loaded up some Garand food (147gr m80's with 48gr of 4064 to duplicate ball ammo) Also opened up my package of 77gr 223's. Those are some long dudes, but Lyman and Hogdon say to cram it down to 2.26 to fit into the mags. Interesting. Lyman's is also more aggressive with the powder than Hogdon is, with their starting point at Hogdons max load.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Did some casting and loading; a pile of 250-grain bullets for my 45 Colts from an RCBS mold. These will be loaded with black powder.

Also cast some 429640 hollowpoints and loaded them into 44 Mag brass with IMR-4227. Loaded some 429244 SWC over the same powder. They're all for my S&W Model 69.

Lubed, sized, and installed gas checks on some 350-grain bullets that I made last winter from a Saeco #17 mould. They'll be loaded in 45-70 brass with IMR-4198 for an upcoming hunting trip.
We live at a time when emotions and feelings count more than truth,
and there is a vast ignorance of science.
James Lovelock

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.
-William G. McAdoo, lawyer and politician (1863-1941)

Cranked out 110 rounds of 45 Colt with 250 gr RNFP over 8.0 grains of Hi-Skor 800x. I also made some .357s with that powder under a 158 grain Xtreme RNFP too, but I'm waiting for my SW 686 to get back from the factory (tomorrow)...

So far, I've really liked the H110 for the 45 Colt loads. Pretty stout but the accuracy was quite good and I didn't see any overpressure signs even though I laddered right up to (and touching) the max.

ps. I'm somewhat concerned about using that H110 on my 686. I'm already seeing strap cutting after only a few hundred rounds.
Hell is where:
The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police