Extreme Close Quarters Gunfighting

I recently took an "Extreme Close Quarters Gunfighting" class with Greg Ellifritz and was going to post a review, but've been too lazy. Fortunately, Tim from Gun Nuts Media was in the same class and did a good writeup:

http://www.gunnuts.net/2014/10/23/close ... -training/

There was relatively little shooting and lots of fumbling for guns and supervised eye-gouging/pistol-whipping. Not as fun as some of the 500 round per day courses I've done but more practically useful. Anyone who hasn't been in an all-out street brawl at 0-3 feet, while armed (a VERY common defensive gun use scenario), would benefit from this class. An especially good reality check for those who think that killing paper at the flat range is just like the real thing, as well as folks who firmly believe they'll have plenty time to chamber a round, but I won't go there. ;)

A few quick takeaways:

- If you allow an armed attacker to clear the holster or pocket, you will probably get shot. Effective (Jason Bourne style) disarms are mostly mythological.

- Stopping (stuffing) an opponent's draw when the holster is carried in appendix or 3/9 o'clock positions is relatively easy. Further back is progressively harder.

- Countering against a stuff and clearing enough holster (in any position) to shoot an attacker is relatively easy, with minimal training. It is difficult with no training at all.

- Full arm extension is not for required for "combat accuracy", even at distance. This was surprising. From previous CQB training I knew that I could get accurate, fast hits from retention at 3 yards and closer, but I didn't know how easy it is to get decent COM groups at 20 feet while holding pistol in ready position (pressed against body at chest or midsection). Nobody that I noticed had trouble getting a full magazine on target from that position, relatively quickly. Some began by hitting low but dialed into COM within a couple of rounds. This is especially good to know for cops that clear buildings - the traditional aiming position will tire out even the most fit in a few minutes and put them at great fighting disadvantage. It is much easier to shoot from ready or quickly "punch out" for added accuracy.

Re: Extreme Close Quarters Gunfighting

Thanks for the right up and link. Very sobering. What can you say about what to do when a potential danger is approaching you? Asking for time and so on? I've been told by my wife I'm a bit grumpy and rude when strangers approach.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Re: Extreme Close Quarters Gunfighting

sikacz wrote:Thanks for the right up and link. Very sobering. What can you say about what to do when a potential danger is approaching you? Asking for time and so on? I've been told by my wife I'm a bit grumpy and rude when strangers approach.
Pepper spray on the keychain.

And politely but firmly tell them it makes you uncomfortable with them approaching you.