Full auto blotto!

So I'm stuck in Las Vegas, not my favorite town, for a few days for work.

Not into gambling or hookers, but I had to take the opportunity to go to one of those ranges that lets you shoot full auto, which I've never had a chance to do before.

Yee-haw! I first chose a Thompson submachine gun, which seems to go with the M1 Garand and 1911 I mostly shoot. 50 rounds of .45 ACP makes short work of a zombie clown target! Then, I wanted MORE, so I paid for 25 rounds through an AK 47.

It's not cheap -- about $70 for each gun. A lot of what you're paying for is a range "guide" who gives a quick safety briefing and stands very close while you shoot. I didn't really mind that because, even though I'm not a newby, the guys in the adjacent stalls probably are -- and very possibly not completely sober, either.

You are only allowed short bursts (they say 5 rounds), but that's enough to get a feel for what's involved with controlling the muzzle under full auto recoil. I actually didn't find that too difficult with these two weapons. Just keep a firm grip on the forend. Someday I'd like to try an M14 and a BAR. I suspect those might be more challenging.

One weird thing is that the guide wouldn't let me do anything with the guns other than shoulder them and pull the trigger. I was interested in the controls, and he did answer some questions, but when I went to drop the empty mag on the AK, he said, "We're not allowed to let you do that."

But anyway, it was fun, and I recommend it to those who haven't tried it. Much more gratifying than blowing $140 at the craps tables.
"To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime" - Nuremberg prosecutor Robert Jackson, 1946

Re: Full auto blotto!

I dont gamble and bring my own expensive hooker with me but I love going to Vegas. There is plenty to do there and the food is awesome. Plus there are lots of gun stuff to do when the wife is in a spa.
Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here! The Dude.
Skilled Labor Isn't Cheap - Cheap Labor Isn't Skilled

Elmo wrote:So I'm stuck in Las Vegas, not my favorite town, for a few days for work.

Not into gambling or hookers, but I had to take the opportunity to go to one of those ranges that lets you shoot full auto, which I've never had a chance to do before.

Yee-haw! I first chose a Thompson submachine gun, which seems to go with the M1 Garand and 1911 I mostly shoot. 50 rounds of .45 ACP makes short work of a zombie clown target! Then, I wanted MORE, so I paid for 25 rounds through an AK 47.

It's not cheap -- about $70 for each gun. A lot of what you're paying for is a range "guide" who gives a quick safety briefing and stands very close while you shoot. I didn't really mind that because, even though I'm not a newby, the guys in the adjacent stalls probably are -- and very possibly not completely sober, either.

You are only allowed short bursts (they say 5 rounds), but that's enough to get a feel for what's involved with controlling the muzzle under full auto recoil. I actually didn't find that too difficult with these two weapons. Just keep a firm grip on the forend. Someday I'd like to try an M14 and a BAR. I suspect those might be more challenging.

One weird thing is that the guide wouldn't let me do anything with the guns other than shoulder them and pull the trigger. I was interested in the controls, and he did answer some questions, but when I went to drop the empty mag on the AK, he said, "We're not allowed to let you do that."

But anyway, it was fun, and I recommend it to those who haven't tried it. Much more gratifying than blowing $140 at the craps tables.
I rented the Thompson once a decade or two ago in Vegas! It was worth the 100 bucks I spent in about 30-90 seconds!

Everything is bigger in Texas
Texas LTC Holder
Postal Match Winner: 2017 Q1 Rimfire, 7 Yd Division, Glass, S&W Victory 22

Simmer down wrote:What exactly did you want to do other than shoulder and fire?
Yeah, I don't know if I'd go for the full field strip like KV, but at least drop and insert the mag, bolt lock and release if applicable, work the safety if any, play with the sight adjustment if any, select fire switch if any, yadda yadda.
"To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime" - Nuremberg prosecutor Robert Jackson, 1946

Elmo wrote:
Simmer down wrote:What exactly did you want to do other than shoulder and fire?
Yeah, I don't know if I'd go for the full field strip like KV, but at least drop and insert the mag, bolt lock and release if applicable, work the safety if any, play with the sight adjustment if any, select fire switch if any, yadda yadda.
I pictured some flying roll and several bursts mid-air. I guess that's straight out.

Puffing up is no substitute for smarts but it's a common home remedy

mreish wrote:
Catalyst wrote: I rented the Thompson once a decade or two ago in Vegas! It was worth the 100 bucks I spent in about 30-90 seconds!
So, like a hooker but more fulfilling?
:roflmao:

Everything is bigger in Texas
Texas LTC Holder
Postal Match Winner: 2017 Q1 Rimfire, 7 Yd Division, Glass, S&W Victory 22

Back when I was in college, I bought an M1 carbine that had an M2 stock.

Being young and dumb, I went to a gun show and purchased an M2 kit, which at the time was legal. Shows how old I am.

Bottom line, I never had enough ammo to keep it fed. So I removed the M2 kit.

Full auto is nice, but you need a government behind you to keep the ammo coming.
If you want to be a leader, lead from the front, and don't look back.

There's a machine gun experience range called Lock & Load near me in Miami. They don't place a 5-round burst limit on you and they're more than happy to allow you to load the magazine into the firearm and charge it up, after a safety briefing on each gun you rent. And I suppose if you are curious, they'll let you peek inside and see how it all works. The instructors/employees are all top-notch and love taking any opportunity to explain the dynamics of any of the firearms under their care.