New Suppressor Purchase

For the last few months, I've been trying to decide what to spend a small surplus of cash that I'd managed to acquire. Thought about a Vepr 12. Didn't feel right. PTR 32 and 91? Ditto. New upper for AR...I can piece that together $$ at a time. Needed something big. Something I'd never done before. Maybe something I can use that trust for...hmmm. Ah HA! A suppressor!!

Stopped into the Silencershop storefront in NW Austin. I had done a little research, but was far from a decision. Wanted multi-caliber. Something good up to .30 cal. Something that can handle my main rifle calibers...5.56, x39, x51, x54R. A good intersection of price/sound reduction/weight. Possibly QD. Finally settled on the Griffin Recce 7. Not the cheapest, quietest, or lightest, but across all three, pretty decent. Also heavy duty. Good as I would hate to break it :laugh: Uses a taper mount which seemed pretty straightforward. A long wait as stamp approvals are climbing into the 6 month range again. Oh well, I can start acquiring adapters now while I wait.

So what is this new world that I've stepped into? Did I do ok with the logic/choice? I mentioned using it on a Romanian AK (a Draco SBR) and I thought the kid behind the counter was going to cough up a hair ball. Well OK, but then why does Griffin support the AK thread pattern? Then he suggested I only use on a milled receiver. Uh...huh? I get barrel concentricity and will certainly check that before investing in the adapter, but otherwise don't see the issue. Again, would appreciate any thoughts/advice.

I'm pretty jazzed about stepping into these, for me, otherwise uncharted waters. Now I'm thinking about something in .22/5.7 and/or 9/.40/.45. Hell I don't even have threaded pistol barrels...ok...calm...one step at a time...

And now I see these online DIY kits, now just what is THAT about? That might be waaay fun.

Re: New Suppressor Purchase

I don't know anything about suppressors but I'm now intrigued and want to know more about this journey of yours.
Hell is where:
The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police

I have a really nice one on my FN15. When I am shooting at an indoor range, I swear the only thing I hear is the echo of the far wall. It is also really fun hearing all the moving parts inside your rifle as it cycles through. You learn really quick to keep your mouth closed while your shooting. The blow back through and around is fierce and taste awful. I am currently waiting for my second one. I plan on putting it on my CZ Scorpion Evo3.
Never confuse knowledge with intelligence.

went with a SilenceroCo Omega...
Came very close to an Omega myself. They were out of stock on the day I went or might have done that.
I'm also in Austin and am on the verge of buying a suppressor, so I'll be curious to see how they do.
Perhaps we should organize an Austin chapter Suppressor Day at the range.

Flyguy, which manuf./model did you go with? I'm thinking about getting a rimfire supressor now before 41p goes into effect.

DamnYankee wrote:
Came very close to an Omega myself. They were out of stock on the day I went or might have done that.
My LGS had a HUGE stack of Silencerco products in stock, and since it's a legit company I steered towards them for possibilities. i decided to get an Omega ovr the Specwar due to weight/size and the included muzzle brake.

DamnYankee wrote: Flyguy, which manuf./model did you go with? I'm thinking about getting a rimfire supressor now before 41p goes into effect.
My latest is the Silencerco Harvester 30. this will handle several calibers up to 300 blackout. I plan on getting a couple mounts so I can trade between firearms.

My first was specifically for my FH15. It is the Gem-Tech and for the life of me I can't remember what model. I have to wait until I get home.

I find them both good at what they are designed to do. I said it before, you just have to get used to shooting with them. Hint, keep your mouth closed!
Never confuse knowledge with intelligence.

Well, I shelved the plan to go with a DIY kit for a rimfire suppressor. I like to tinker and all that, but just feel a little more confident with one manufactured by a reputable company. Chose the AAC Element 2, which is one of the models with separate baffles that you stack up vs. the monocore approach. So maybe my need to take things apart will be met with this approach.

Sometime next fall/winter quiet happiness should ensue.

Also meant to add, like you guys, I'm thinking of .300 blk. I'm building a stripped lower (currently on hold while I take care of trust items before July) with an intention of filing a tax stamp and having a .300 blk short barreled rifle. It's becoming difficult to balance the need for immediate gratification with this long drawn-out process but hopefully it will all come together in about 6 months or so.