Brainless suppressor question

I never thought I had any need to jump through these hoops, but my spousal critter and I keep arguing about where to retire some day. It occurs to me that being quiet and discreet might one day facilitate where it is possible to shoot.

The only caliber I currently own that I'm interesting in suppressing is .22LR. I kinda sorta imagine wanting a 9 mm some day just for a little more recoil fun. How much less effective would a 9 mm suppressor be if used on a .22LR pistol or rifle?
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

Re: Brainless suppressor question

Usually, at least my understanding of suppressors, is that they are fairly caliber specific. Unless your using the oil filter kind, but thats a whole different story.

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk
This is just my opinion, yours may vary and is no less valid.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

Buck13 wrote: The only caliber I currently own that I'm interesting in suppressing is .22LR. I kinda sorta imagine wanting a 9 mm some day just for a little more recoil fun. How much less effective would a 9 mm suppressor be if used on a .22LR pistol or rifle?
Just a stray thought: If you are going to get a centerfire pistol suppressor, why a 9mm? In .45, everything will be subsonic anyway but without the compromised effect of 147gr 9mm.

My guess would be that someone has posted a youtube video of his 9mm suppressor being used on a .22.

zukiphile wrote:
Just a stray thought: If you are going to get a centerfire pistol suppressor, why a 9mm? In .45, everything will be subsonic anyway but without the compromised effect of 147gr 9mm.
Mainly because 9 mm is the closest to .22 while still being a "real" duty caliber.

If I was going to go for any bigger diameter than .356, I have lots of .40 reagents already, so I would stop there. But both of my 10 mms are EAA, and I've never looked for threaded barrels. I just assumed they were WAY less available than Glock barrels, and the 4.5" gun has a non-replaceable front sight, so it would be necessary to add an optic on a saddle mount off the rail (admittedly, I already have a cheap mount, so not a huge problem).

I once made a test run of a few 140 grain lead bullets loaded with Trail Boss and they shot fine, so I'm not unwilling to make subsonic 10 mm. I bought a VERY light recoil spring to run those, and they functioned fine. Didn't chrono but presumbably <900 fps. Very soft shooting and seemed accurate.

My "target" load for the 6" Witness is a 200 grain JHP running just subsonic with Blue Dot. The intended target for these is IHMSA Field Pistol critters, so a little heavier than needed for paper. :D
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.