Today's trip to the gun store

So I decided to take a drive to one of the more distant LGS - about 18 miles away. It's a pretty cool place that is an old fashioned Sporting Goods store with heavy emphasis on fishing and hunting gear. Dave and his dad, Bill, own it. I like them both though I suspect our politics would collide. I think they feel likewise so we just chew the fat on other subjects.

The best thing is that they are official CZ dealers so they have CZ handguns, rifles and shotguns, and, new to me, Dan Wesson 1911s. So I fondled some of the latter including a "Bruin" with a six inch barrel. All were very impressive, much smoother and not perceptibly less tight than the Kimbers I also handled. However, another 1911 is not in the 2017 Personal Firearms Procurement Plan (PFPP), so I did not get stoopid and whip out the already-stressed Visa.

But! They had a decent selection of CZ rifles. I realized that, although I have six rimfire rifles - five 10/22s and a CZ 453 in .17 HMR, none have iron sights. I have been wanting to fill that vacuum for some time. They had about five CZ 455s, three heavy barrel varmints without sights, a trainer and, damnation, a Mannlicher with a beautiful Turkish walnut stock, adjustable sights, etc. $405 takes it.

I came home and talked to my wife in my usual "I don't think I can justify buying one" tone and she shot back with the "oh what the hell, you only live once" look on her face. I took this as tacit permission.

In contrast to my usual buying tactic, I decided to let the decision steep for a while. I really don't need the rifle but it sure is pretty and my CZ .17 is a damned laser and I have grandkids and daughters and sons in law and nothing to teach them with.

As long term readers know, I am certainly toast...a goner...in my dreams I already have it...is it time to shop for a sling?
Last edited by Bucolic on Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Today's trip to the gun store

:roflmao: Congrats!

Yes. I suggest maybe the cotton webbing M14 sling as an alternative to leather? It's not quite as stable as the burly leather ones, but faster and easier to adjust to a particular grandchild and less abrasive on children's arms. Cheap enough to have both if you want a nice leather one for you.

What the-? Gah, how'd I miss this?? Tell me you got this already. I can't believe I missed the Enabler Express!

I've got the CZ 455 FS in .22lr! It is frikkin awesome. It is what I am using to learn how to shoot rifles. :) I am so feeling your pain: Over the break I had a moment of weakness and fell for a CZ 550 FS in 6.5 x 55 Swede. (But there's justification, see. I want to learn to reload, and I thought a rifle cartridge would be good to start on, so...)

Did you get the sling? Please tell, because mine needs a sling, too. It does.
"I am not a number, I am a free man!" - Number Six

Bucolic wrote:No pix yet. Have not bought it. Long story. Am thinking that my wife is gonna buy me a Henry in 357 for my 65th birthday in june. I need to pace myself...
so, get it and don't tell anyone. surely you have a trustworthy friend who can hide it till your birthday?
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

lurker wrote:
Bucolic wrote:No pix yet. Have not bought it. Long story. Am thinking that my wife is gonna buy me a Henry in 357 for my 65th birthday in june. I need to pace myself...
so, get it and don't tell anyone. surely you have a trustworthy friend who can hide it till your birthday?
This. June is sooooo far away! ;)

In any case, a Henry in .357 would be one heck of a nice birthday present. :)

There is never enough CZ:s in house. My long range plan includes a CZ 455 Trainer and perhaps a CZ 455 FS in .22LR. Besides CZ:s are not as expensive as some other rifles. Buy and regret later. Besides in six months your wife will have forgiven you and still buy you the Henry. :whistle:

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

whitey wrote:
Bucolic wrote:Me? A resolution and three plans:

Stop buying guns. Or at least curb my impulse buying.

Re-side the chicken coop.

Re-build the dock in the pond.

Get my old beetle convertible on the road.

:roflmao:
Cruel, but fair. ;)
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

The thing about my CZs is they shoot almost every kind of ammo well - with a particular affinity for CCI SV, Aguilla Rifle Match, RWS Target Rifle (most expensive ammo I shoot regularly - Gander Mt runs sales on the internet) and even CCI Mini Mag. The Ultra Lux version shoots so straight over iron sights it should be forbidden. With a good scope on them they group in ragged holes and I am not that good a shot. (I am talking the 22 LRs only.) Of course their Varmint barrels are just the straightest shooting things I own. On a good day with a pretty ordinary scope I can shoot ragged holes at 100M with the .17 HMR (Hornady 17g.)

I would not call an affinity for CZs an addiction. I would call it wise value based buying. :D And BTW - sometimes Gander Mountain of all places had the best price on them. Also, BTW, Mm friend at the BATF says their 9mm are without peer.

Buck13 wrote:
whitey wrote:
Bucolic wrote:Me? A resolution and three plans:

Stop buying guns. Or at least curb my impulse buying.

Re-side the chicken coop.

Re-build the dock in the pond.

Get my old beetle convertible on the road.

:roflmao:
Cruel, but fair. ;)
Well, the Beetle is running. Engine had great compression so I had the fuel injection taken off and a progressive two barrel carb installed. All fuel lines replaced. Brake lines and wheel cylinders too. New clutch, trans oil changed, bearings repacked. Waiting to see about some body work.

No new guns...yet...

nmTom wrote:The thing about my CZs is they shoot almost every kind of ammo well - with a particular affinity for CCI SV, Aguilla Rifle Match, RWS Target Rifle (most expensive ammo I shoot regularly - Gander Mt runs sales on the internet) and even CCI Mini Mag. The Ultra Lux version shoots so straight over iron sights it should be forbidden. With a good scope on them they group in ragged holes and I am not that good a shot. (I am talking the 22 LRs only.) Of course their Varmint barrels are just the straightest shooting things I own. On a good day with a pretty ordinary scope I can shoot ragged holes at 100M with the .17 HMR (Hornady 17g.)

I would not call an affinity for CZs an addiction. I would call it wise value based buying. :D And BTW - sometimes Gander Mountain of all places had the best price on them. Also, BTW, Mm friend at the BATF says their 9mm are without peer.
My CZ 453 .17 HMR is an extraordinary shooter. I agree on the value and the quality of their 9 mms.

How'd you get all that done to the Vdub so fast? :confused: My garage hit a high of 39.1 F the other day... still a bit too cold for me to be on the ground. Anyhow, great job getting that baby up and running. :)

Do you have a favorite place for parts? I used to use Wolfsburg West, but that was years ago now.

Still resisting the siren call of the CZ 9's. Resisting. Must... resist.