...And the wait begins... Finally Ends! And it works!

In advance of the July 2016 changes to the NFA process, I finally got the trust completed and e-filed a Form 1 for a suppressor project. Maybe before I get too old to appreciate it I'll be able to turn this pile-o-parts into a little can-o-fun. :yahoo:

I've already got the compatible muzzle break on the AR-10 - this one will go on the AR-15 and the can will work for both.

Let the countdown continue... (Or...news at 11...but I don't know which day...) :lol:
Last edited by AndyH on Wed May 03, 2017 9:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Re: ...And the wait begins...

Very interesting. You are a courageous one. I wanted to do it, but ended up going the manufactured route.
Did you go with an available kit or piece it together yourself? If the former, which one? Inquiring minds want to know!

I have a Griffin Recce 7 and an AAC Element II on order. Considering one more before the change to squeek one more NFA item out of my trust. Maybe a Liberty Cosmic for pistol calibers.

This will be a long summer and fall waiting for the stamps to be approved.

I got titanium parts and stainless freeze plugs from SD Tactical Arms. It's an a la carte sort of process - no kits - but there's plenty of help from folks on their forum and the Form 1 thread on AR15.com.

There isn't a lot of long-term data yet on these project suppressors, but the stainless baffles seem to be holding up well after a few thousand rounds of supersonic .308. It's likely the can will outlive my need for pork and venison.

The hard part now is not being able to do any work until the stamp's approved. Out of sight/out of mind is much better for me than "arggggh, where's the drill?" followed by "Hmmm...who's that knocking at the door? ATF who?" :laugh:

Long summer indeed!

Neat project. While at the range today, I saw/heard a suppressed rifle for the first time. I've no idea what kind of rifle it was, but it was big. And black. And evil looking. ;) Big, honking suppressor on it and wow, it was really effective. More of an outsized POOF when it fired. Pretty cool. :) Good luck with yours!
"I am not a number, I am a free man!" - Number Six

Bacchus wrote: More of an outsized POOF when it fired. Pretty cool. :) Good luck with yours!
Thanks!

A couple of weeks ago while puncturing paper at 100 yards, a couple of guys started shooting balloons at 200 yards with a .22LR...in the breeze. They had a lot of fun! While that was happening, a gent came in with a couple of cases. One held a suppressed Kriss Vector in .45 ACP. It was quieter than the .22LR bolt guns. It just felt wrong to go back to shooting .308. [Simulated range noises...THUD...pfft pfft pfft pfft pfft THUD... :lol: ]

Still waiting...no sign of progress from the ATF other than transferring $200 from my account to theirs. Two months down; 4-6 to go?

Re: ...And the wait begins... Finally Ends!

Move to the midwest for a year. You will never again be bothered by those allergies. We have them all here, so you go into overload 24/7. Juniper ash will be like a breath of fresh air...lol

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk
This is just my opinion, yours may vary and is no less valid.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

dandad wrote:Move to the midwest for a year. You will never again be bothered by those allergies. We have them all here, so you go into overload 24/7. Juniper ash will be like a breath of fresh air...lol

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk
I hear you - originally from Michigan. Stationed at Scott for about 9 years. Nothing I've ever breathed hits me like this 'cedar' pollen. Cross country skiing is really bad here, too. Hmmm...coincidence? :lol:

Can guts.
can.jpg
Tube, end caps, and spacers are titanium from SD Tactical Arms. Baffles are stainless engine freeze plugs. The plugs were shaped in a J&S Tactical tool in a bench vise. The can is drilled for .30 to be usable on both the AR-10 and AR-15 (both have SD Tactical Arms brakes). The can is 1.5" OD and just over 8" long.

This was my first experience with Ti and it's an interesting metal. Turn the drill too fast and/or not press hard enough and it's like trying to drill stainless - complete with the cherry-red and quickly destroyed bit. Slow speed and pull HARD on the drill press lever, though, and the bit goes through it like aluminum.

I'm feeling the need for range time...

http://www.jstactical.com/JForm-D-SS-Complete_p_15.html
http://sdtacticalarms.com/SDTA-Muzzle-B ... _c_21.html
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/169368 ... in_OP.html

A month or so back I told myself that I was going to forego range time until I got a couple of projects done. Outside projects. Projects at the mercy of the availability of others and the weather. Seriously - what was I thinking? :shock: Bad airman, bad airman!

I came to my senses this morning, double-checked that I'd plugged the car in last night (I had), and decided I really, really needed some range time. And besides - it was finally time to see if the can works.

TL;DR It does! :yahoo:
canguts.jpg
ARs.jpg
I brought the AR-15 and AR-10 and supersonic FMJ for both. I started with .223 just to make super sure that I wouldn't have a baffle strike with the smaller ammo. Kinda silly, really, as the baffles and cap are drilled to 3/8" - there's plenty of wiggle room even for .308.

Here's a few shots of .223, recorded with the cell phone sitting on a bench about 24 inches left of the trigger:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sq33AtAVaQ

And a few shots of .308, from about 15 feet left of the rifle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hAZ6A3RAX4

The AR-15 ran fine suppressed. I only had to close the gas block on the .308 two clicks (maybe 1/3 of a turn). I'm very happy with the way both rifles handle being suppressed.

Next trip I'll head back to the 100 yard area and see if the can affects the point of impact. Based on the results of others that have built similar cans, I don't expect it to.

The can makes both rifles totally hearing safe. It's pretty surreal to stand there shooting a .308 without ears and being able to hear dirt landing on the 'roof' between shots. Very cool and very fun!

Now the can needs paint and maybe some insulation to wrap around it. The thing I forgot to bring to the range today was a leather glove. That little puppy was still warm after my 20 minute ride home from the range. :lol:

There are some non-NFA options if you need hush-a-boom gun.. I have 32 acp adapters for .303 Enfield's and MN 7.62x54r

they make no noise on most days other than hammer fall .. on some days, rarely, the temp and humidity lowers the sound barrier enough that the normally subsonic bullet will give sonic crack

also I use the Aquila colbri and super colbri out of my Rem 513T heavy long barrel 22 match rifle .. those are really quiet and the SSS60 grain Agiula subsonics are reasonably quite.. much quieter than my pellet guns, but it takes an exceptionally long barrel 32 inches in some cases ( like regular or HV 22lr ) to fully silence, hard to find but every inch helps.

and then there is this http://www.metrogun.com/

This is a Finnish website , but it is in English.. it a really good one to just crawl thru.. and it also happens to have a wealth of information about silencing with and without a formal suppressor as well as shooting and reloading sub sonic http://www.guns.connect.fi/gow/arcane1.html lots of history always fascinating to read

pages of interest http://www.guns.connect.fi/gow/linx.html

http://www.eabco.net/Accelerator-Type-S ... 13645.html very interesting when fired out of 7.62x25 pistol like a CZ 52 using 62 grain green tip .223 bullets http://www.eabco.net/Sabots_c_3468.html

dandad wrote:Move to the midwest for a year. You will never again be bothered by those allergies. We have them all here, so you go into overload 24/7. Juniper ash will be like a breath of fresh air...lol
Thought I'd get some allergy relief in the desert - people plant flowers here like they lived in the Midwest so it's not a pollen free area. Each season has it's own allergies. To be allergy free, live at the seashore.

Congrats Andy on getting the approved form and stamp! Now I'm thinking about it.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Re: ...And the wait begins... Finally Ends! And it works!

Always wondered since its gas pressure,once you slow it down some with that, can you put a whistle or duck call on there so when you shoot it goes quack or some other noise ?

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk
This is just my opinion, yours may vary and is no less valid.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

DwnRange wrote:
AndyH wrote:I brought the AR-15 and AR-10 and supersonic FMJ for both.
"subsonic" ammunition is far better than "supersonic" ammunition in this instance......... :oops2:
'Better' is relative. This was the first run on the titanium can - I wanted full power rounds initially, both to judge effectiveness of the DIY suppressor and also to stay well away from any possibility of a baffle strike. My first goal was the ability to shoot full power and be hearing safe. Now that I know it works, I'll load some .308 subs and work up DOPE for a 150 grain hunting load and subs. Then...it's time for a pig hunt. :thumbup: